The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 July 2019, 11:07 PM   #1
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Service Interval

Good Day Gents,

This question was asked to me by my son who owns a Rolex Explorer 1 that was made around 2006 he believes, anyway the watch was purchased used from an online reseller in 2015 and it runs ok but gains 6-7 SPD and I assume a watch this old does not fall under the new standard of -2/+2 set by Rolex so it’s not that far OOS on the -4/+6 SPD of the COSC spec so with that said should he have it serviced, he requested a quote from Rolliworks and the price does not seem to be bad but he or we are not sure if it would be money well spent
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:43 AM   #2
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

My routine is to have my watches (1984 TT DJ and 1979 YG DD) serviced every 5-6 years by RSC NY. If something needs to be done in the interim, I’ll have it serviced, and that resets the 5-6 interval for that watch. Both of these are regularly worn, mass produced watches, that will never have a premium for being a collectible. So, that frequency and RSC NY both meets my needs.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:14 AM   #3
Nickn
"TRF" Member

I have my fathers 5513 bought in 74 it’s never had a service and is keeping good time
The only thing he had done was have Rolex fit a new bezel and insert as the old one was faded!!!
And I have changed the crown as the old one would screw down
I have the receipt they charged him £68 I think I. 2002
If only he had known
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:29 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Why immediately run to the "full service" option because a watch is a couple of seconds off?

A simple regulation is cheap and quick - save the cost of a service for when it is needed.
Old 22 July 2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
I have my fathers 5513 bought in 74 it’s never had a service and is keeping good time
The only thing he had done was have Rolex fit a new bezel and insert as the old one was faded!!!
And I have changed the crown as the old one would screw down
I have the receipt they charged him £68 I think I. 2002
If only he had known
That’s sounds like a solid running watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Why immediately run to the "full service" option because a watch is a couple of seconds off?

A simple regulation is cheap and quick - save the cost of a service for when it is needed.
Thanks for the info, I was not sure what he should do so that’s why I asked and if a simple regulation will fix it then that’s what I will tell him to do and I’m sure it’s got to be a lot less as far as cost, it’s off the same amount of time all the time so hopefully it’s an easy fix
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 22 July 2019, 09:13 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Per your narrative it is running 1 sec/day out of COSC, right?

Don’t let anyone open that watch and potentially booger it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Per your narrative it is running 1 sec/day out of COSC, right?

Don’t let anyone open that watch and potentially booger it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes sir it gains 6-7 SPD according to him but I am not sure how he’s checking that, I know he uses Watchville as well as I do but I just use it as a reference since I have gotten some strange reading, an example would be I used it this past weekend and it said my DJII was at +1.9 SPD but I had been wearing it all week at least 12 hrs a day and at the end of the 7 days it was 23 secs fast so that’s 3.14 SPD
Old 22 July 2019, 09:32 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If the watch is that close on the time keeping I would find a watch shop that can put the watch on the graph and give you the information about the movement. I would also have them pressure test the watch. Poor results or failing results would prompt me to send the watch in for a complete service. I would use the RSC and pay slightly more but the watch will return as new and running within specs. If the watch passes all the tests a regulation might be in order but for 1 second I would not mess with it. Just my thoughts. Let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote