The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2020, 03:43 AM   #31
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
I’ve got boxes for my bike tools like BR has...everything. Most are full and specific to a certain task or event, team or neutral. I don’t like pulling from my bench or sharing between boxes. Good way to forget something.

There’s nothing like having the right tool for the job. What’s your most random/obscure/specialized bike tool?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 04:53 AM   #32
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say any one of these 4. From L to R

Bearing drifts I had made for 61706 bearings. There are a handful of Rotor-sponsored athletes that ran Rotor 3D cranks in their Treks and it was a total rig job to set them up. No setup was the same as the other due to the frame and crank tolerances. I searched forever to find a drift, as the bearings are really, really sensitive. Couldn’t find one. Ended up having them made by a fellow in my hood that had a 3D printer.

Tool I had made for Cannondale SI and Specialized spider lockrings. I know at least 2 also ended up in boxes for world tour teams. Gets rid of the need for a vise.

Roval spoke holder. “Required” in order to warranty Roval wheels. We were sponsored by S a couple years ago and they set us up with Rovals. Way overkill and built like a tank, but damn did it work well. It’s got its own box.

Ergomo bottom bracket tool. Looks like the typical Truvativ external spline bb tool except that one notch is missing, which was removed to make room for the wires in the Ergomo bb. I haven’t ever actually seen another one of these.

Most of my stuff is fairly modern. At this point in my career, I don’t work with much that isn’t at least from the 10s era.

-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 06:06 AM   #33
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
ONLY if there are zero imperfections in the road surface.

Thanks guys. After a read, I think I understand the loss of forward horizontal momentum due to frame chatter from too hard of a tire. It translates that energy into vertical motion that affects a riders ability to transfer energy into speed.

I’m guessing that is true for any type of wheel and tire combination. There is an optimal starting inflation for each type that eventually rises a bit from heat/friction.

How much does a rider’s weight go into calculating that optimal psi to control deflection, etc to get the best speed for same effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 06:30 AM   #34
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
So this am I rode the roads at 0500am with another cyclist with my new bike 34 miles and averaged 19.9 MPH with a decent wind. Not many guys my buddies and my age can do this at OLD COOT AGE...

Attachment 1142897

Attachment 1142898
Big deal, I could do that easy.......

(In my car)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 07:17 AM   #35
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks guys. After a read, I think I understand the loss of forward horizontal momentum due to frame chatter from too hard of a tire. It translates that energy into vertical motion that affects a riders ability to transfer energy into speed.

I’m guessing that is true for any type of wheel and tire combination. There is an optimal starting inflation for each type that eventually rises a bit from heat/friction.

How much does a rider’s weight go into calculating that optimal psi to control deflection, etc to get the best speed for same effort?
If you’re asking if there’s an ideal ratio of weight to tire pressure calculation, I’m sure there is, but again, it’s theoretical and not real world. The high pressures that so many used to run (and some still do) were based on the misconception surrounding friction and contact patch. Not only that, but with clinchers, one had to be cognizant if pinch flats from running too low pressures. Tubeless tires solves that by eliminating the tube which was the part that pinched (as well as GREATLY reducing flats from foreign body punctures.). Personally, I’m 154 lbs. and inflate my tubeless road tires to 90-95 psi. For the record, up until about 15 years ago, I too believed that higher pressures were faster.
Old 22 June 2020, 07:18 AM   #36
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:

I am just a old white man on a bicycle try to maintain a little bit of fitness for my age is all.. As long as I can keep healthy and enjoy all my toys that makes a happy camper out of me.. Most guys my age have a big old pot belly with a 46inch trouser that need to use there walker to hobble to get to the fridge for some left over KFC and a 6 pack....

I happen to weight a 152lbs with a 30 inch waist that can haul the mail on a stupid bicycle..:) YES very proud of it to as I bust my ass every single day to be this way... No scientific method in my madness of bikes and what's right or not..:)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 07:27 AM   #37
BreguetRolex
Banned

40KM TT Race Feb on The Emerald Isle

So back in Feb of this year I participated in a TT race of 40 KM with over 85 participants to include so pretty elite cyclists of the Island. I finished 7th over all with my average speed of 22.5MPH with a guy from france whom you see behind me who won it with a speed of 29MPH. he is the Triathlon National Coach for Sri Lanka. Please not I was 24 years older then the next youngest guy and I am 67 years old... I gave it everything I had and was worried about blowing up the ticker...

017F2799-8504-4B7D-8ACB-DF6496BFD1D8.jpeg

1EE5A48F-5EC0-4CDD-A63D-6D3A7569E5D7.jpeg
Old 22 June 2020, 07:29 AM   #38
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Big deal, I could do that easy.......

(In my car)

Your a better man then me young fellow..:)
Old 22 June 2020, 07:35 AM   #39
77T
2024 Pledge Member

RIP Trek BELTDRIVE SINGLE SPEED

Quote:
If you’re asking if there’s an ideal ratio of weight to tire pressure calculation, I’m sure there is, but again, it’s theoretical and not real world. The high pressures that so many used to run (and some still do) were based on the misconception surrounding friction and contact patch. Not only that, but with clinchers, one had to be cognizant if pinch flats from running too low pressures. Tubeless tires solves that by eliminating the tube which was the part that pinched (as well as GREATLY reducing flats from foreign body punctures.). Personally, I’m 154 lbs. and inflate my tubeless road tires to 90-95 psi. For the record, up until about 15 years ago, I too believed that higher pressures were faster.

Thanks, I’ve been involved in racing for over 40 years in different sports ranging from skiing, running and motorsports. Setups always intrigue me - thanks for sharing some insight.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 07:38 AM   #40
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For the record, up until about 15 years ago, I too believed that higher pressures were faster.
I remember the triathletes asking for 130psi in their 18mm tires. Oof.
Old 22 June 2020, 07:40 AM   #41
BreguetRolex
Banned

Arabian Desert DUBAI UAE 125mile bike Loop

Want to ride somewhere challenging give this bad boy a try.. Last year in Dubai with my Grandsons and I snuck some riding in..

https://youtu.be/Q6eglKYnJgQ
Old 22 June 2020, 08:07 AM   #42
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, I’ve been involved in racing for over 40 years in different sports ranging from skiing, running and motorsports. Setups always intrigue me - thanks for sharing some insight.
I was recently turned onto Formula 1. That stuff, the setups and engineering, is unbelievably fascinating. We think we have dialed setups and procedures in bike racing. But it’s nothing like F1. So much money, so much precision.
Old 22 June 2020, 08:23 AM   #43
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
RIP Trek BELTDRIVE SINGLE SPEED

Quote:
Personally, I’m 154 lbs. and inflate my tubeless road tires to 90-95 psi. For the record, up until about 15 years ago, I too believed that higher pressures were faster.

I’m 150lbs and went from years of riding 120 on 21mm clinchers to putting 85-90 on 25mm in the last few years. Not only did the ride quality improve considerably, there was an improvement in rolling speeds.
Old 22 June 2020, 08:41 AM   #44
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post

I’m 150lbs and went from years of riding 120 on 21mm clinchers to putting 85-90 on 25mm in the last few years. Not only did the ride quality improve considerably, there was an improvement in rolling speeds.
I’m a fat b@$tard 231lbs 6ft 3 49 year old and hadn’t ridden a bike for over 2.5 years over 10 miles until this April when I got put on furlough. 400 miles in April on 23mm clinchers with 100psi switched to 25mm in May keeping with 100psi and did 1000 miles in the month and am now up to 140 miles in a day when I fancy it.

I have come to the conclusion that 25mm are better than 23mm and with the modern thinking of wider rims as well it seems a lot of pro teams are switching to clinchers. I believe Campagnolos latest Boras are clincher now.

Have just ordered a new titanium road frame with Campagnolo Chorus 12 speed and am going for 28mm clinchers on that as I will be using it for touring / endurance riding. Am still sticking with old school long reach rim brakes as I have some nice sets of wheels to go on it but have upgraded the brakes from Tektro to TRP.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 09:18 AM   #45
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After more then 25,000 miles on this piece of junk steel single speed belt drive bike ,it has finally bit the dust early this am with a broken bottom bracket as well as the rear sprocket also let loose on me climbing the hill over the Ohio Turnpike..

Yes I have more then 25 new bicycle but choose to ride this bad azz work out machine.. Kiss this bad boy GOOOD BYEEE. Can it be fixed, yes, am I messing with it..? NOPE..

So in the am I will be riding a bike I own that has ZERO Miles on it with "TUBULAR WHEELS" that I have never ever logged one single mile on.. So I am curious on how the feel is with a set of TUBULARS...

Attachment 1142788
That’s a really cool bike. If it’s the bottom bracket shell on the frame that has broken I can understand you not getting it fixed. If it’s just the bottom bracket itself I’d have got it fixed. Fixies / single speeds are chic due to their brilliant simplicity. If it is just the hub and bottom bracket that need fixing it will be good for thousands of miles more. It’s your bike though so your choice.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 11:20 AM   #46
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I’m a fat b@$tard 231lbs 6ft 3 49 year old and hadn’t ridden a bike for over 2.5 years over 10 miles until this April when I got put on furlough.
Have just ordered a new titanium road frame with Campagnolo Chorus 12 speed and am going for 28mm clinchers on that as I will be using it for touring / endurance riding. Am still sticking with old school long reach rim brakes as I have some nice sets of wheels to go on it but have upgraded the brakes from Tektro to TRP.
First of all, if you were 231 lbs. and 5’6”, I’d say....ride more. Otherwise, you’re good.

I’m with you on rim brakes on road bikes, especially staying away from Campy’s disc brakes. Nobody loves Campy more than me, but they missed the mark with those brakes. By no means a necessity, but if you ever have a chance to ride EPS, it’s nice. We await a pic when you get your new ride!
4AB63E97-2EEE-40B9-8DC1-1459EBB65068.jpeg
Old 22 June 2020, 12:10 PM   #47
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

The best thing about Campy disks is that they absolutely nailed hood shape. Leagues better than anyone else.
Old 22 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #48
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The best thing about Campy disks is that they absolutely nailed hood shape. Leagues better than anyone else.
They always have. Do you remember when Ergopower was introduced and it looked like a normal lever...and Shimano STI had that weird alien head, ray gun, looking things on the bars? It was embarrassing.
Old 22 June 2020, 01:08 PM   #49
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow, some very impressive distances travelled by a few of you here. Truly inspiring really
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 05:44 PM   #50
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post

Would ride nothing but 22&23MM Tires and 135PSI and no reason but just because I want to no matter what all the guru's and wizards think...
Old 22 June 2020, 05:52 PM   #51
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would ride nothing but 22&23MM Tires and 135PSI and no reason but just because I want to no matter what all the guru's and wizards think...

Whatever works for you is what you should do.
Old 22 June 2020, 05:53 PM   #52
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I’m a fat b@$tard 231lbs 6ft 3 49 year old and hadn’t ridden a bike for over 2.5 years over 10 miles until this April when I got put on furlough. 400 miles in April on 23mm clinchers with 100psi switched to 25mm in May keeping with 100psi and did 1000 miles in the month and am now up to 140 miles in a day when I fancy it.

I have come to the conclusion that 25mm are better than 23mm and with the modern thinking of wider rims as well it seems a lot of pro teams are switching to clinchers. I believe Campagnolos latest Boras are clincher now.

Based on those numbers, I’d say you’re in solid shape. Going wider makes sense.
Old 22 June 2020, 05:58 PM   #53
BreguetRolex
Banned

German Lightweight FERNWEG70 Schwarz Wheel Set

Should be building one of my new Pinarello's this week and will be putting this set of wheels on it... World class carbon wheels hand made in germany..

C679F947-7436-453F-B32C-F90F33705270_1_105_c.jpeg

1ADF07B1-2914-4663-92C2-9DF14E047D79_1_105_c.jpeg

2D4D5E1C-CD7F-4618-AFEC-E13CEF521F5F_1_105_c.jpeg

CD7B0A3E-5CCD-4F90-BAC0-A31F87A69EC4_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 22 June 2020, 06:10 PM   #54
BreguetRolex
Banned

Should be getting this one built this week with Sram Red Etap and Lightweight Wheels..

20152825-6317-4970-9E88-9A8E735DFA7B_1_105_c.jpeg

6BB150A4-679C-41FC-BDA8-D3E747B5FE42_1_105_c.jpeg

B64D39DD-2F14-4157-8336-FC6C2B7CBCD8_1_105_c.jpeg

41DA909A-3E0A-4BDD-AB76-DAF042977B3E_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 22 June 2020, 06:41 PM   #55
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’re something else lol
Seriously.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 09:45 PM   #56
Kohola
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6105
Ha! Yep, thats the F10 I thought you'd break out earlier. Beauty Emonda BTW.
Kohola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 12:41 AM   #57
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I’ve been riding a bike since the age of five, including as a part-time job now, but I understand only about 10% of what’s been posted in this thread.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 12:53 AM   #58
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola View Post
Ha! Yep, thats the F10 I thought you'd break out earlier. Beauty Emonda BTW.
It is going to be built this week as its quite technical to setup this tap stuff and no way could i ever figure it out... They can build the bike in about 6 hours if they continue at it... I still need to get out my F8 Chris F Rhino Limited Edition..
Old 23 June 2020, 01:55 AM   #59
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’ve been riding a bike since the age of five, including as a part-time job now, but I understand only about 10% of what’s been posted in this thread.
Wow.

Doing better than me. I'm at 2%.

I know what a bike is (I think) and what a tire is. Or thought I did.

My issues is, if it's for exercise, why do you need the fastest bike and the sleekest clothes. You'd have to work harder with a slower bike and less wind resistant clothing. Hence, more exercise.

I like to think outside the boxes. And boxes.
Old 23 June 2020, 02:00 AM   #60
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Wow.

Doing better than me. I'm at 2%.

I know what a bike is (I think) and what a tire is. Or thought I did.

My issues is, if it's for exercise, why do you need the fastest bike and the sleekest clothes. You'd have to work harder with a slower bike and less wind resistant clothing. Hence, more exercise.

I like to think outside the boxes. And boxes.
There's little logic in bike riding.