The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 July 2020, 03:58 AM   #1
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

scammed?? please help (schaumburgla)

Hi RolexForums,

I come seeking your advice, as I fear I've been scammed.

I sent user schaumburgla a PM regarding his listing:
"Rolex 5513 L Ser. gloss dial Fantastic original condition!"
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=729909

we had exchanged numbers, and discussed back and forth before agreeing to a deal.
I searched his name on the forum, and he has tons of positive references, and he was very responsive via text.

since my wire to him cleared last Thursday (7/9), his communication has dropped off. he replied once to tell me he would ship me the watch on Monday, but has not responded to multiple texts from me to confirm my address and info.

I just logged back on to see if he has been active on the site, and I now see that he has been banned??

I'm really at a loss of what to do, and I've got a pit in the bottom of my stomach :/

any help would appreciated, thank you all in advance
ChetterBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:01 AM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Wow man that sucks. How much did you wire?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:03 AM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetterBear View Post
Hi RolexForums,

we had exchanged numbers, and discussed back and forth before agreeing to a deal.
I searched his name on the forum, and he has tons of positive references, and he was very responsive via text.

since my wire to him cleared last Thursday (7/9), his communication has dropped off. he replied once to tell me he would ship me the watch on Monday, but has not responded to multiple texts from me to confirm my address and info.

I just logged back on to see if he has been active on the site, and I now see that he has been banned??

I'm really at a loss of what to do, and I've got a pit in the bottom of my stomach :/

Sounds like his account was hacked.
Mods would then "ban" the account to stop anyone else getting duped
ALSO
He sold the watch on 24th JUNE!!!
No way it was still on offer 9th of July!! Did you read that?
A
Old 13 July 2020, 04:10 AM   #4
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patton250 View Post
wow man that sucks. How much did you wire?
$9200
Old 13 July 2020, 04:11 AM   #5
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
ALSO
No way it was still on offer 2nd of July!! Did you read that?
A
I did - he had actually messaged me back initially saying that he had sold the watch. I then got another PM from him saying that the other buyer had flaked and asked if I was still interested. that is when we had exchanged cell numbers
Old 13 July 2020, 04:12 AM   #6
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
ALSO
No way it was still on offer 9th of July!! Did you read that?
A
I don't think he really needs to be kicked while he is down. Sorry OP, bad situation.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:13 AM   #7
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
I did - he had actually messaged me back initially saying that he had sold the watch. I then got another PM from him saying that the other buyer had flaked and asked if I was still interested. that is when we had exchanged cell numbers
So you paid $1000 less than asking, for a watch shown as sold for 3 weeks - but NOT relisted by seller
And you were not in any way concerned??
Old 13 July 2020, 04:22 AM   #8
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you paid $1000 less than asking, for a watch shown as sold for 3 weeks - but NOT relisted by seller
hey man, I'm not really sure why you're being so hostile.

if you look at the listing, he lowered his price to $9,750 shipped, so I paid him $550 less than his asking, which didn't scream scam to me.

I had initially PM'd him on June 23 - he replied back that the watch was sold.
I messaged him back something along the lines of "darn, but congrats on the sale." we messaged back and forth a few times about the watch, but mostly pleasantries.
He messaged me back on Jun 30th saying that the other buyer had flaked on the transaction, and that the watch was still available.
that timeline didn't necessarily jump out to me as a scam either.

I clearly got duped, so no matter what at the end of the day you can point your finger at me and call me an idiot, but I've come here looking for help and advice on what I should/could do. if you can't help me with that then I ask you refrain from commenting. thanks.
Old 13 July 2020, 05:18 AM   #9
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Being ‚helpful‘ again, Adam?
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:23 AM   #10
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Contact your bank and law enforcement ASAP.

Post all the info you have on the scammer - name, phone number, bank info. To prevent others being victims in the future.

Good luck.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:45 AM   #11
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Being ‚helpful‘ again, Adam?
I know, right. WT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post

Post all the info you have on the scammer - name, phone number, bank info. To prevent others being victims in the future.

Good luck.
Great advice here! Good luck OP.
Old 13 July 2020, 05:54 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
On-line crime is a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Contact your bank to see if they can do anything about recovering funds - this is a longshot.

Notify the local police with particulars. Ask about wire-fraud and internet crime points of contact to report this data to as well.
Old 13 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #13
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post

Good luck.
great call

bank info:
Benefciary Name: JS Watches LLC.
Routing Number: 031100649
Account Number: 7023396969
Bank: Discover

phone number (512) 831-0116
Old 13 July 2020, 06:41 AM   #14
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Don’t understand why big sellers don’t have 2FA....drives me nuts
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:52 AM   #15
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Hi RolexForums,

I feel horribly for you OP. I’m hoping for a good outcome, please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:06 AM   #16
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
Don’t understand why big sellers don’t have 2FA....drives me nuts

He’s not really a big seller.But i agree, 2FA is key. I don’t understand why people don’t ask for a picture of the watch with an odd object (spoon) or to have the time set to a certain time and date. There are steps you can take to prevent these issues.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:17 AM   #17
jurob
"TRF" Member

Looking at the phone number And beneficiary, it looks like you were communicating with Justin and the account doesn’t appear hacked. That is much better then Dealing with “Hacked” account.

Google the number and you will see he has sold car parts on other site and used the ND location (north Dallas?) And phone number.

Good luck
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:27 AM   #18
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
He’s not really a big seller.But i agree, 2FA is key. I don’t understand why people don’t ask for a picture of the watch with an odd object (spoon) or to have the time set to a certain time and date. There are steps you can take to prevent these issues.

I should have said EVERYONE should have 2FA

Sent From my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 July 2020, 09:35 AM   #19
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post

completely agree with you - in hindsight, I feel like an idiot for not asking for a photo of the watch with a sticky note with his user name and the date.

this was my first time purchasing on the forums. I definitely felt cautious, but he answered questions I had about the watch very descriptively, provided references, etc. I feel stupid, but I trusted that he had such extensive and all positive feedback. I hadn't even considered that it could have been an impostor that hacked into his account.

sadly this has been a costly lesson learned.
Old 13 July 2020, 09:37 AM   #20
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurob View Post
Looking at the phone number And beneficiary, it looks like you were communicating with Justin and the account doesn’t appear hacked. That is much better then Dealing with “Hacked” account.

Google the number and you will see he has sold car parts on other site and used the ND location (north Dallas?) And phone number.

Good luck
man, I would really love for this to have been a misunderstanding, but the person I've been texting hasn't responded to me for over 24 hours now. total radio silence.
Old 13 July 2020, 09:40 AM   #21
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

thank you all for your advice and your support, it is really appreciated. I've reached out to my bank, but will have to wait until 7am tomorrow morning to speak with someone that might actually be able to help me.

I've contacted my local authorities as well.

as you all said, a positive resolution seems like a long shot at best, but I'll definitely let everyone know what happens either way.
Old 13 July 2020, 10:31 AM   #22
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:40 AM   #23
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
completely agree with you - in hindsight, I feel like an idiot for not asking for a photo of the watch with a sticky note with his user name and the date.

this was my first time purchasing on the forums. I definitely felt cautious, but he answered questions I had about the watch very descriptively, provided references, etc. I feel stupid, but I trusted that he had such extensive and all positive feedback. I hadn't even considered that it could have been an impostor that hacked into his account.

sadly this has been a costly lesson learned.

Ya, these scammers are fast. Sorry to hear about this. Probably no reason for you to be skeptical with the references, questions etc. unfortunately, a wire is very very final. I hope there are some steps you can take legally to get the funds back. Best of luck.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:46 AM   #24
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did you sleep well last night? Because you're being pretty nasty.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:40 AM   #25
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
man, I would really love for this to have been a misunderstanding, but the person I've been texting hasn't responded to me for over 24 hours now. total radio silence.

If you really were dealing with Justin and the number checks out then I think everything will be OK. Maybe some emergency came up and he can’t respond. It’s not unreasonable and it’s only been a couple of days. Hoping for a good outcome.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 04:20 AM   #26
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
This whole situation is terrible. Sorry OP. Thanks for letting us know. It makes me not wanna buy or sell anything at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #27
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
This is Justin/ Schaumburgla my account was compromised

First off I am very sorry this happened to you. I try to be as responsible as possible with my account & login credentials but apparently last month my account was hacked & I was locked out. I have been working with a moderator to get my account back ASAP but there are certain steps & precautions they must take to verify me & that took some time.
Anyhow I have my account back & will again try to do the 2 factor authentication to prevent this from happening again. I did try & do the 2F auth. a while ago but didn’t get anywhere ; I’m just not the most tech savvy guy.
Again I am very sorry for your being taken advantage of & wish for the best possible outcome for you. If indeed I would have posted Sold on a listing & than that deal fell through I would certainly have bumped the listing clearly stating this.
Best
Justin / schaumburgla

Quote:
Hi RolexForums,

schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 07:00 AM   #28
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Hey Justin, thanks for your reply and PM. I just want to make it abundantly clear that I don't hold any accountability or ill will towards you. What happened was out of your hands, and just a really unfortunate situation all around.

A non-update update for everyone:
I called my bank again today and my case is still pending. They didn't share very much information with me (said they couldn't) and they reinforced that a conclusion could potentially be weeks or even months away.

I'd like to thank everyone for their kindness and support. You've shown me that this place can be a community and there are a lot of gracious and helpful people. Much love to you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
First off I am very sorry this happened to you. I try to be as responsible as possible with my account & login credentials but apparently last month my account was hacked & I was locked out. I have been working with a moderator to get my account back ASAP but there are certain steps & precautions they must take to verify me & that took some time.
Anyhow I have my account back & will again try to do the 2 factor authentication to prevent this from happening again. I did try & do the 2F auth. a while ago but didn’t get anywhere ; I’m just not the most tech savvy guy.
Again I am very sorry for your being taken advantage of & wish for the best possible outcome for you. If indeed I would have posted Sold on a listing & than that deal fell through I would certainly have bumped the listing clearly stating this.
Best
Justin / schaumburgla
Old 17 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #29
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I hope you can get a good outcome OP.

Really sucks that it happened

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 09:25 AM   #30
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Did you sleep well last night? Because you're being pretty nasty.
In the short time I have been here, he has always been a peach. Lol.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote