The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 January 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Buying from Ebay - is there really a risk?

Ok, I am sure that this thread is going to spawn up a lot of different reactions and bring out two different camps here at TRF. I have observed the following two "schools" of thought when it comes to Ebay:

- a few people have purchased several watches from Ebay and have made some good deals and have been happy with their purchases.

- most of us will post reactions to someone looking at Ebay that go like this: "Don't buy from Ebay", "Buy from the sellers here in the TRF Sales forum instead", "Ebay is not secure", etc

The (new) Ebay protection policy reads as follows:

What does eBay Buyer Protection cover?
eBay Buyer Protection covers items purchased on eBay with eligible payment methods that are not received or not as described in the listing. Some purchases are not covered, including prohibited or restricted items and items listed or that should be listed in the Motors (except for Parts and Accessories) and Real Estate categories. Most Business and Industrial categories are covered by eBay Buyer Protection. Remember, eBay Buyer Protection doesn't cover fraudulent charges or buyer remorse. Also, items must be purchased on the U.S. eBay.com website to qualify for eBay Buyer Protection coverage, and are covered for 45 days from the date of payment. Purchases made on Half.com and classified listings on eBay.com are not covered.

What happened to PayPal Buyer Protection?
PayPal Buyer Protection on eBay existed only for eBay customers who paid for their purchases through a PayPal account. Now purchase protection and issue resolution for your eBay purchases will be managed by eBay, for all eligible payment methods.
With eBay Buyer Protection, buyers will receive coverage for the purchase price of the item, plus original shipping. eBay Buyer Protection also introduces a new, streamlined process for customer service, so you can get help quickly either on the phone or online.

So the discussion that I would like to have is: With the buyer protection in place, is there really a risk when you buy from Ebay? I have never bought from Ebay, but as long as you:

- Make sure that you have enough information about the watch and it's condition (pics, description, etc)
- Make sure you use an "eligible payment method"
- Make sure that the item is covered under the Buyer Protection plan
- Make sure to authenticate that the watch is legit when you receive it

then you would be able to utilize the coverage under the plan if you receive a fake or if the items was not as described in terms of condition. Am I wrong? - let's stick to the facts.
Georg Jensen 2347
tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:30 AM   #2
newmedia
"TRF" Member

ebay is nice place to buy and sell as long as seller has buyer protection logo, ebay also now place a hold on the fund if the seller does not have a long history.

ebay has been making changes to improve lessen the buyer being taken or seller being taken.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
I have been on Ebay for ten years.

Just this past week I was bidding on a Rolex book and the bid was at 40.00 USD with only a couple of hours to go and the seller stopped the sale. I wrote to the bidder saying I was interested in the book and how much would it cost me? He wrote back saying it was 150.00 euros. I wrote to him and asked him why did he pull the item off Ebay? I got no response and reported it to Ebay and they blew me off. Now that is wrong.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 06:43 AM   #4
newmedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
I have been on Ebay for ten years.

Just this past week I was bidding on a Rolex book and the bid was at 40.00 USD with only a couple of hours to go and the seller stopped the sale. I wrote to the bidder saying I was interested in the book and how much would it cost me? He wrote back saying it was 150.00 euros. I wrote to him and asked him why did he pull the item off Ebay? I got no response and reported it to Ebay and they blew me off. Now that is wrong.
Its also same as buyer does not pay for the item after winning the auction.

This stuff happens since its a on line auction or it also happens in these watch forums like buyer not sending a payment or seller not responding to your PMs.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 07:17 AM   #5
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
I bought my 1960's Day-Date from Ebay.
The company even let me return it when I realized the original bracelet was very very worn and the clasp was cracked as well. I notified him that all along I really wanted a Diamond bracelet, and if he could accomodate such a request. They said they would for a little more cash and installed it. Again 2 months later I called back, the manual winding broke and the hands fell onto the dial and would not wind. So I called back again and they agreed to fix it per their 1 year warranty service. When I sent it back to get repaired I asked if they could also install the After market ruby and diamond bezel and they agreed for a nominal fee. I got my watch back they fixed the movement and installed the bezel free of charge!
Now that is SERVICE!
Time & Gems AKA The Watch Empire (Justin)
My purchase may have been a little Rocky but everything was fine in the end and service was the best I ever recieved from any seller of anything, retail or otherwise.
I think I chose ebay because of the buyer protection and the great deal I got.
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 07:41 AM   #6
robertneville
"TRF" Member

Watch: me burn
i have been buying and selling on ebay since 97. feedback, and ask questions. its all about communication and reputation. i have purchased a lot of stuff on the bay over the years, even bought 2 vehicles. anyway here is a good story if you want to get a vote for yes. for Christmas this year, i wanted to get my wife a datejust oyster. i found a nice one, with a bin/bo and emailed the guy, had a good rep. bought the watch, got it in mail, looked at it looked nice, ran for a little when i checked it, so i put it away and ordered some links for it. when i went to install the links, i noticed the crown was unscrewed. i tried to screw it back in and it wouldnt. my heat sunk. however, the transaction is protected by paypal (make sure you see that guarantee in the auction terms), contacted the seller and reversed the whole transaction, no issues. ended up with a MUCH nicer watch for about $400 more, but most importantly she loves it. just be careful and DO your homework!
robertneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 07:41 AM   #7
zippaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I have bought several things off of ebay with no problems at all. Now having said that I did not buy my Rolex 16610LV from ebay. I spent some time on here and received great advice from people like yourself and bought from DavidSW. Just received it today and it is perfect. His customer service and knowledge exceeds that of any local AD I have been to and he was truly a pleasure to work with. I have passed his name onto friends of mine which is the best compliment I can give. The question is can you and will you receive the same type of service from ebay? Maybe, maybe not.
zippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2010, 09:57 AM   #8
vaq129e4

Watch: GMT Master II
I have bought and sold for over 10 years on Ebay with only 2 problems. both were from buyers that claimed they never received Items. They were small things less than 10.00. I did buy my GMTII from a seller on Ebay. I was bidding on a watch and asked some questions about it via a phone call to his store in Branson Missouri. He asked me what i wanted and I said like new if possible. He had just got in a GmtII 2005 model bought new at an AD in August so i bought that one instead. The watchchest was great.
vaq129e4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 05:53 AM   #9
4000 feet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX.
I bought Two Rolex off Ebay. Both were Genuine and Had no Problems with Either one. I might consider more. I think that you have to do alot of research and know the watch. Also Buy the seller as well. I check Ebay and then come here and look at the Watch out section and check for Fakes before bidding. I think Rolex forums is a great Resource. Lots of Great people here.
4000 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4000 feet View Post
I bought Two Rolex off Ebay. Both were Genuine and Had no Problems with Either one. I might consider more. I think that you have to do alot of research and know the watch. Also Buy the seller as well. I check Ebay and then come here and look at the Watch out section and check for Fakes before bidding. I think Rolex forums is a great Resource. Lots of Great people here.
I bought ALL of my Rollies, and my wife's DJ, on eBay. Not one single problem. The above is right on the money!

Old 27 July 2010, 05:59 AM   #11
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
bought and sold many items on ebay, including Rolex and Panerai watches.
my 2 advices:
use a credit card for paypal funding, so you have triple protection(ebay/paypal/credit card)
dont bid for something that seems too good to be true, or sold by a zero feedback sellers
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2010, 09:28 AM   #12
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
I have bought off Ebay as well and have had hardly any issues. I do recommend buying from 99.5-100% feedback sellers though.
pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote