The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 14 January 2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Pledge Membership - Question

Firstly, can I just say that I am quite a new member here, so still getting to understand fully how it all works etc, so please don't rip me to pieces for this post.

My question is regarding pledge membership.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully understand the reason for the donations to help fund/run/support the forum - that's fine, no issues, fully understood.

However the forum is quite at pains to point out that this is fully optional and no member should feel obliged to donate, it is purely personal choice - again that's fine and appreciated, no issue.

The fact is however, as I discovered whilst browsing the 'For Sale' sections, that if I want to buy a watch from another forum member then I am prevented from even contacting that member to enquire about it because I haven't donated. Is this fair or reasonable?

My question really is what difference does it make whether I donate or not as to my ability to purchase a watch from another member?

What this really tells me is that far from being 'optional' actually it is 'compulsory' to donate if I want to use the forum for what I originally joined for which is to learn about the brand and eventually treat myself to a nice Rolex watch.

Again, please don't view this post as an attack on the forum, it isn't - far from it, I really enjoy being part of it and have learned a massive amount already in the short time I've been here from all its very knowledgeable members.

Thank you
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I assume this isn't a serious question?
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:05 PM   #3
spikester31
"TRF" Member

Watch: 11610
I think you may be mistaken. You can contact a seller about an advert but what you can't do is advertise a sale of your own.
I may be wrong tho!
Old 14 January 2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I assume this isn't a serious question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikester31 View Post
I think you may be mistaken. You can contact a seller about an advert but what you can't do is advertise a sale of your own.
I may be wrong tho!
Russell996 Yes it is..your point being..?

and spikester31 - no you cant even contact the seller that was the main point of the post.
Old 14 January 2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You can send a private message to the seller. No one can post on sales listings except the seller, to add info or update, or moderators or admin.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:17 PM   #6
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
You should have the capability to PM anyone at any time. A mod could be helpful if you somehow don't have the permission or correct settings enabled.

Non-pledge members have bought from me multiple times
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Max,

PM me if you find a watch on the Forum that you would like to buy and I'll toss in the $25 bucks for you if you are a bit short of the old readies mate.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:37 PM   #8
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You can send a private message to the seller. No one can post on sales listings except the seller, to add info or update, or moderators or admin.
Thanks for the update.

Glad to see at least one forum member willing to help a genuine newbie rather than some of the others trying to make themselves look good with smart ass comments...

Regards.
Old 14 January 2017, 08:41 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
Firstly, can I just say that I am quite a new member here, so still getting to understand fully how it all works etc, so please don't rip me to pieces for this post.

My question is regarding pledge membership.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully understand the reason for the donations to help fund/run/support the forum - that's fine, no issues, fully understood.

However the forum is quite at pains to point out that this is fully optional and no member should feel obliged to donate, it is purely personal choice - again that's fine and appreciated, no issue.

The fact is however, as I discovered whilst browsing the 'For Sale' sections, that if I want to buy a watch from another forum member then I am prevented from even contacting that member to enquire about it because I haven't donated. Is this fair or reasonable?

My question really is what difference does it make whether I donate or not as to my ability to purchase a watch from another member?

What this really tells me is that far from being 'optional' actually it is 'compulsory' to donate if I want to use the forum for what I originally joined for which is to learn about the brand and eventually treat myself to a nice Rolex watch.

Again, please don't view this post as an attack on the forum, it isn't - far from it, I really enjoy being part of it and have learned a massive amount already in the short time I've been here from all its very knowledgeable members.

Thank you
Have you tried to PM a seller?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:42 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Max,

PM me if you find a watch on the Forum that you would like to buy and I'll toss in the $25 bucks for you if you are a bit short of the old readies mate.
Is this offer open to all members?
Old 14 January 2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Have you tried to PM a seller?
No - I didn't realise you could do that until now...Will do thanks

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Andad

Quote:
Is this offer open to all members?
Just for you and Max.

I get my 5% spotters fee from the seller.

Old 14 January 2017, 09:34 PM   #13
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Just for you and Max.

I get my 5% spotters fee from the seller.
I'll remember this in 2 weeks when we're due.
Old 14 January 2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Andad

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Glad to see at least one forum member willing to help a genuine newbie rather than some of the others trying to make themselves look good with smart ass comments...

Regards.
C'mon Max, lighten up.
You said the main point in your post was to complain about a non pledge member not being able to contact a seller.

But you hadn't tried....

Old 14 January 2017, 09:47 PM   #15
Andad

Quote:
I'll remember this in 2 weeks when we're due.
My pleasure.

And then I own you...yes...yes....lol...

Old 14 January 2017, 11:35 PM   #16
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:

That statement is completely untrue as I expect you now see.

However, don't go complaining about people being harsh towards you when you make false and unfounded statements.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 02:14 AM   #17
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post

However, don't go complaining about people being harsh towards you when you make false and unfounded statements.
Wow!

"false and unfounded statements"... I already admitted I made a mistake regarding not realising you had to PM the seller, that's all.
Old 15 January 2017, 03:33 AM   #18
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow!

"false and unfounded statements"... I already admitted I made a mistake regarding not realising you had to PM the seller, that's all.
In hindsight, it would have been preferable to have hedged your words in your assertion.

Quote:
Neither fair nor reasonable ... nor TRUE.
Old 15 January 2017, 11:01 AM   #19
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
In hindsight, it would have been preferable to have hedged your words in your assertion.

Neither fair nor reasonable ... nor TRUE.
Blimey..are you a lawyer?? If not you should be!

I'll be very very careful in future how I describe things if it's going to get analysed and dissected to this extent... I thought we were here to discuss watches, not get cross examined...

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2017, 12:31 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

Please don't start making out as though you have been victimised, because you aint.

When you make false statements you mislead other members and disparage the forum itself.

If its too much for you to take being told to get your facts right and you want to argue the point, then that is not going to be acceptable.

This isn't a debate, it is cautionary advice so please don't come back with any smart cracks like "Are you a lawyer?".

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 15 January 2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Brainh18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR, Sub
I only see PayPal listed as a way to donate. I don't really use PayPal, so what are my other options?
Brainh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Lol-x
Facilitator

PayPal is the website, but you don't need a PayPal account to make a payment via that website.
There are options (down the bottom) on the PayPal payment page for you to use a credit card to make a payment.

Old 15 January 2017, 05:15 PM   #23
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Please don't start making out as though you have been victimised, because you aint.

When you make false statements you mislead other members and disparage the forum itself.

If its too much for you to take being told to get your facts right and you want to argue the point, then that is not going to be acceptable.

This isn't a debate, it is cautionary advice so please don't come back with any smart cracks like "Are you a lawyer?".

Don't say we didn't warn you.

OK.. I apologise for the lawyer comment, it wasn't necessary and I am sorry.

Please accept that it was never my intension to post false info, mislead anyone and certainly not to disparage the forum.

I said in one of my earlier replies that I genuinely didn't realise you had to PM the seller, I was trying to click on the 'Reply to Thread' button and just got the pop up box telling me I couldn't reply for various reasons (cant remember them all) but one of them was because I wasn't a pledge member, which was the reason for the original post.

I understand how it all works a little better now, so definitely wont make the same mistake again.

If possible, I would like to put this whole thing to one side and continue to try and be an active and positive member of the forum.

If you were here right now I'd hold out my hand and buy you a beer - hopefully you'd accept and we could get back to the 'serious business' of talking about watches...!

Regards

Max
Old 15 January 2017, 08:41 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Please accept that it was never my intension to post false info, mislead anyone and certainly not to disparage the forum.

I said in one of my earlier replies that I genuinely didn't realise you had to PM the seller, I was trying to click on the 'Reply to Thread' button and just got the pop up box telling me I couldn't reply for various reasons (cant remember them all) but one of them was because I wasn't a pledge member, which was the reason for the original post.

I understand how it all works a little better now, so definitely wont make the same mistake again.

If possible, I would like to put this whole thing to one side and continue to try and be an active and positive member of the forum.

If you were here right now I'd hold out my hand and buy you a beer - hopefully you'd accept and we could get back to the 'serious business' of talking about watches...!

Regards

Max
Well Max I must assume that because you can write then you can read also, if you just took the time to read the simple rules in the for-sale forum your question would of been already answered in rule 6..

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=9423

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:13 AM   #25
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well Max I must assume that because you can write then you can read also, if you just took the time to read the simple rules in the for-sale forum your question would of been already answered in rule 6..

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=9423
Yes, understood and fully accepted.

Please believe I am not here to fall out with anyone - quite the opposite in fact, just to learn more about Rolex watches and enjoy the various threads.

I made a mistake and am upset with myself that this thread even got to this point.

Throw me a bone here guys...I am trying to extend the olive branch.

Hopefully you will accept my apologies and I/we can move on?

Regards
Old 16 January 2017, 02:53 AM   #26
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Well I still love you even though you called me a lawyer.
Old 16 January 2017, 04:12 AM   #27
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol
Old 16 January 2017, 04:40 AM   #28
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
What's wrong with lawyers Paul?

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:40 AM   #29
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Regards.
Read the forum rules and the smart ass comments will cease....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:56 AM   #30
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Regards

Max
Quote:
Yes, understood and fully accepted.

Please believe I am not here to fall out with anyone - quite the opposite in fact, just to learn more about Rolex watches and enjoy the various threads.

I made a mistake and am upset with myself that this thread even got to this point.

Throw me a bone here guys...I am trying to extend the olive branch.

Hopefully you will accept my apologies and I/we can move on?

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Read the forum rules and the smart ass comments will cease....
Understood & accepted - and if you read through the previous comments you will see I already apologised to the other forum members for my earlier posts...