The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 March 2017, 08:39 PM   #1
chriz74
"TRF" Member

Icon4 Gmt 1675 not winding automatically

I have this 1675, the watch was serviced in 2014 and it was working ok, then suddenly I found it stopped on the watch winder. The watch was not winding through the automatic device. I took it back to the watchmaker that serviced it in 2014, he looked at the automatic device and oiled some parts, he gave it back to me and the day after I had to go back again as the defect was still there. So I left the watch, he kept it 4 months and an half then after servicing it again he gave it back to me, he didn't ask for money.
Watch still defective, he stated it was cured.
I opened it and as far as I can see the reverse wheels are working, I took a picture of the balance wheel, do you techs see anything strange? Do you know what it could be at all? That watchmaker told he didn't find anything strange in the calibre and did not change any part.

chriz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 12:33 AM   #2
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Perhaps your winder is not turning frequently enough or long enough to keep the watch running while being stored? Most winder manufacturers have suggested guidelines on how to set their winders based on watch type.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:12 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Dont know why they call them watch winders,as its doubtful they will fully wind a stopped watch.Yes they should keep them ticking but best before putting on the machine to fully manually wind it first.If a programed winder then 650 -750 turns a day should keep it ticking.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:24 AM   #4
chriz74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Dont know why they call them watch winders,as its doubtful they will fully wind a stopped watch.Yes they should keep them ticking but best before putting on the machine to fully manually wind it first.If a programed winder then 650 -750 turns a day should keep it ticking.
the watch winder is effective, it did it's job until the watch turned defective
Old 14 March 2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriz74 View Post
the watch winder is effective, it did it's job until the watch turned defective
How do you know this? Perhaps the watch was doing it's job until the winder became defective.

If your winder no longer turns the watch enough turns per day to equal the amount of power it uses to run, it will stop on the winder. This is how you test a winder to ensure it is providing enough turns per day; you use the lowest TPD setting where the watch does not stop.

The facts you have provided are that the watch has been looked at twice, along with another service. This would indicate to me that the winder is the next thing that should be properly tested, or is likely the culprit.
Old 14 March 2017, 06:06 PM   #6
chriz74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
How do you know this? Perhaps the watch was doing it's job until the winder became defective.

If your winder no longer turns the watch enough turns per day to equal the amount of power it uses to run, it will stop on the winder. This is how you test a winder to ensure it is providing enough turns per day; you use the lowest TPD setting where the watch does not stop.

The facts you have provided are that the watch has been looked at twice, along with another service. This would indicate to me that the winder is the next thing that should be properly tested, or is likely the culprit.
The watch winder is working as per specs. I have two of them. They are working. The watch is defective, it will stop on the wrist too. Before putting on the winder I had wound it completely . It stops after 2 days no matter what. Both on winder that on wrist.
Old 14 March 2017, 06:24 PM   #7
chriz74
"TRF" Member

Please check my video. It seems that the click is being skipped. The ratchet wheel can't go past it.

https://youtu.be/S8TYEt4feXY
Old 14 March 2017, 11:26 PM   #8
chriz74
"TRF" Member

I got to the source of the problem, the ratchet wheel is not being engaged by the automatic device, maybe a the connection between the driving wheel and the little wheel that is attached and that should transfer power to the ratchet wheel is loose.
I will see a Rolex technician tomorrow and report back.
Old 18 March 2017, 07:59 PM   #9
chriz74
"TRF" Member

Response : the driving wheel is worn out. The reverser wheels pinions are damaged. Apart that some other parts need replacement. The watch is being serviced at the official Rolex laboratory.