The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 May 2016, 06:19 AM   #61
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
Are you drunk? I hope youre ok.
Take it easy--don't make remarks like that to other members. Accusing him of being drunk and 'hope he's okay'. That is utter non-sense.

Do you know Martin? I do. I had the pleasure of spending 4 days with him last year at AP. We also spent a day together watch shopping in Geneva. I can tell you that you would be hard pressed to find a bigger advocate for Patek. He is also one the nicest and most knowledgable watch people I know.

Martin has owned more Patek's than most have or will. I have a feeling he is getting tired of some of the non-sense he's reading from certain people.

He can speak for himself, but until you know Martin, please refrain from being so rude.

Cheers
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 06:28 AM   #62
martinr
"TRF" Member

Thanks Paul. After reading some of the comments in the Patek forum I could use a drink or ten!
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 06:42 AM   #63
Samui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Take it easy--don't make hostile remarks like that to other members. Accusing him of being drunk and 'hope he's okay'. That is utter non-sense.

Do you know Martin? I do. I had the pleasure of spending 4 days with him last year at AP. We also spent a day together watch shopping in Geneva. I can tell you that you would be hard pressed to find a bigger advocate for Patek. He is also one the nicest and most knowledgable watch people I know.

Martin has owned more Patek's than most have or will. I have a feeling he is getting tired of some of the non-sense he's reading from certain people.

He can speak for himself, but until you know Martin, please refrain from being so rude.

Cheers
I apologize if I was rude. I dont know him youre right. But I think he too was being rude in his post. It was wrong for him to be condescending and implying that the good people in this thread cant afford a $1M watch. He doesnt know everyone here. These are my honest observations from reading his post.

Sounds like you guys had alot of fun in geneva. Would love to meet you and martin one day. Im sure I will enjoy listening martin talk about patek.
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 06:48 AM   #64
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
I apologize if I was rude. I dont know him youre right. But I think he too was being rude in his post. It was wrong for him to be condescending and implying that the good people in this thread cant afford a $1M watch. He doesnt know everyone here. These are my honest observations from reading his post.

Sounds like you guys had alot of fun in geneva. Would love to meet you and martin one day. Im sure I will enjoy listening martin talk about patek.

Cheers and hope to meet up as well and next time I'm in Tokyo, you pick the sushi bar and I'll pay
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 07:44 AM   #65
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Well I really thought that a watch forum was a place where newbies and experts could discuss, give their opinions, thoughts, and advice, I did go to college and I was taught that you need to have a thesis, an anti thesis and the result will be a synthesis, if no one can give their opinion, or thoughts then what is the point? I was just giving my opinion that in incredibly high end watches, this one is clearly in that category, it is a huge plus to have a manual movement, the beauty compared to an auto is just art compared to beauty, no one said that this watch was not amazing, just IMHO, it would be much more stunning with a manual and I was just intrigued why did Patek decide to put auto movements on most or all of their MR's and would have liked other peoples' opinions on the subject, nothing more
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 02:34 PM   #66
KarlS
Banned

Sometimes we forget that this is a forum where people will have views completely different to our own. In many cases they may even seem peurile. Many of us on this forum are not multi millionairs nor watch experts but that doesn't mean we don't have a view no matter irrational it may be to those in the know. In fact the best put down I heard from a "watch snob" was last week:

I am wearing the PP 6102 and state that "its beautiful and I would love one but sh@%t it's GBP 185 000 and that's more than a Bentley!"

This old guy standing with me says ...."oh that cant be right, did you buy yours second hand"

Twat!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 10:42 AM   #67
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Chill out everyone!
conkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 10:48 AM   #68
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Hold on while I pick up my jaw off the floor
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 08:21 AM   #69
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970g
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma1280 View Post
Obviously the watch is amazing, but have a few dumb questions...

Isn't it odd that it's automatic at this price point and number of complications?
Don't really follow the complication combo, minute repeater and perpetual calendar obviously great together, but chrono is for a sports watch but then the case isn't water resistant so isn't that a bit of a contradiction?
Doesn't this have a micro rotor and isn't that a major issue for the wind of the repeater?

Please don't shoot I'm a novice so apologies in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
You guys that find things wrong with a watch like this must have nothing better to do than complain about something you will never be able to afford ar see in real life for that matter. If you can't appreciate it for what it is why are you in the Patek forum in the first place? Oh wait, I already answered my own question, you like to complain and criticize something you know nothing about. Write Thierry Stern a letter and tell him you could do a much better job running his company because you're all such geniuses and everyone cares what you think.

There seems to be a lot of apologizing here except by Martin apparently who made the nasty and condescending comments in the first place. Martin were your comments directed at my post?

I am a Patek novice and I am trying to understand the apparent contradictions in this watch. Normally forums are for the sharing of information and I think all my questions are legitimate. If you are a Patek expert please answer the questions. If I wrote Thierry Stern a letter maybe he would admit that the first few apparently went back due to the micro rotor issue by the way.

PS I can afford the watch
roma1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 09:46 AM   #70
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Amazing, but I don't get why triple, I would include the moon phase and count it as a quadruple, the only thing I find curious is that so many Patek MR's, if not all I don't know for sure, are auto movements, in such a watch I would expect to have the beauty of a manual, not an auto, when you see MR movements from other brands the manual ones are just stunning, I never understood that choice from Patek, especially for this model...
I would count the moonphase as part of the calendar function

I suspect the auto movement, if working efficiently, would keep the MR optimally wound so the hammers would have the stored energy to sound their intended best.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:34 AM   #71
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of apologizing here except by Martin apparently who made the nasty and condescending comments in the first place. Martin were your comments directed at my post?

I am a Patek novice and I am trying to understand the apparent contradictions in this watch. Normally forums are for the sharing of information and I think all my questions are legitimate. If you are a Patek expert please answer the questions. If I wrote Thierry Stern a letter maybe he would admit that the first few apparently went back due to the micro rotor issue by the way.

PS I can afford the watch
Roma1280, my comments weren't directed at your post but now that you've said everyone is apologizing except me I'll direct this comment to you. I don't have anything to apologize for and I'm not sorry, period. And now about that last sentence of yours about writing Thierry Stern a letter, you have repeatedly said you're a novice about Patek so where did you hear about or learn about the 5208 going back to Patek due to the micro rotor issue? I don't know anything about it and I'm not saying you are incorrect but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a guy who repeatedly says he's a novice would know. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread as far as I can see. Also, good for you that you can afford the watch, my comments about that subject were directed to Lapince, who had to sell his 5712 to buy property in Odessa and to Samui who started a thread on here about how much of your net worth is tied up in watches, based on what he said he couldn't afford it. By the way that thread was closed because it was inappropriate and when he was told we don't talk about things like that on here he argued.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 10:53 AM   #72
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Hi Martin, I'm fascinated with Patek and am absolutely a novice, but I ask a lot of dumb questions to a lot of people that are a lot smarter than I am and have always found that a fast way to learn. I have had a few conversations with some Patek guys about the really complicated pieces and one of them told me about the micro rotor issue. The reason I asked about that issue is that I still don't know what a micro rotor is, nor what it does so if someone could enlighten me that would be great.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:59 AM   #73
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
vs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek_Philippe_5208_8.jpg (79.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Patek_Caliber_324SC_560.jpg (134.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 20 May 2016, 11:23 AM   #74
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Aha! Thank you
Old 20 May 2016, 11:29 AM   #75
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

I suspect the auto movement, if working efficiently, would keep the MR optimally wound so the hammers would have the stored energy to sound their intended best.
Thanks Gus, great answer :thumbs:

Quote:
vs
Well yes but the micro rotor is much thicker than the normal one, I would expect that to compensate for the size well enough, anyways would be interesting to know if ever there were issues with it on some models, maybe yes when a few came out, but I would think they sorted it out rapidly
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 01:55 AM   #76
roma1280
"TRF" Member

So why is 5208p not waterproof?
What are pros and cons of waterproof vs not waterproof and what is different about the construction of waterproof watches that gives them that feature?
Old 21 May 2016, 02:11 AM   #77
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
So why is 5208p not waterproof?
What are pros and cons of waterproof vs not waterproof and what is different about the construction of waterproof watches that gives them that feature?
Because Patek GC aren't historically made for swimming.

You would require a proper screw down caseback with a proper gasket of sorts and also screw down crown and pushers which would be blasphemous on a patek GC. Also as stated in a MR the case is essentially part of a musical instrument, as such taking it under water doesn't make much sense.

This simply isn't a watch made for drinks in the hot tub. It's akin to asking, why doesn't the aventador have a locking rear diff?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 02:19 AM   #78
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
very nice

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 08:52 AM   #79
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
now this is something else!!! my personal favorite of the modern day collection
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 09:40 AM   #80
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:

I believe the power for the chimes on a minute repeater comes from manually depressing the slide on the side of the case. This is different to a sonnerie (grandmaster chime) that takes its power from the movement.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 10:08 AM   #81
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

I wonder if Patek will have one of these at their MR event in September in NYC? I was just invited by my AD. I would really love to see this one in the metal!