The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Changing Face of Time....

Some interesting observations about the latest World Time Pateks.

Comparing the 5131R from last year with the latest release of the 5131R with the revised cities ring it is evident that Patek has changed the circumference of the circle on which the outer cities wording is based - it has been reduced to conform to the new slightly smaller circumference used for the 5230.
First picture shows 2015 version of 5131R and 2016 version of 5131R - it is difficult to clearly see any size difference in the circumference of the outer wording of the cities ring.

Second picture shows a combined 2015 and 2016 cities ring. The right hand half of the cities ring is from the 2016 version and the left hand half is from the 2015 version. The overlaid red lines correspond to the inner circumference of both lines of text of the cities ring of the 2015 model. The inner red line also corresponds to the circumference of the inner line of text of the 2016 cities ring. The blue line corresponds to the circumference of the outer line of text of the 2016 cities ring and now the difference becomes clear. The outer ring of text on the 2016 version of the 5131R is based on a smaller circumference compared to the 2015 version.

However what is also evident is that the cities ring on the 5230 and the revised 5131R are now different from each other - indeed it appears that Patek has updated the cities ring for the 5230 since it's debut at Baselworld. Looking at the latest images on the Patek web site some of the names are shortened while others are revised cities and/or time zones being represented have been changed!
5230 - 3rd picture is as presented at Baselworld and 4th is from the Patek website as of today.

Why the change?
Patek have seen fit to move the time zone of Sydney and Auckland by 1 hour and revert virtually everything else back to match the previous 5130/1 cities ring - this means aside from the substituting B. Airies for Rio and the change to Moscow caused by their time change the dial has reverted back to last years model.

I also see the 5930 cities dial has been changed on the web site to match the latest version of the 5230. What has caused such a serious change of mind and I would assume they will also quickly change the 5131R to match - would seem odd to have mismatched watches?
5930 - 5th picture is from the Patek website as of today and the 6th is as presented at Baselworld.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5131v2.jpg (83.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 5131R_Master_ipad_pro combi overlay2.jpg (154.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg home_image.4737423-2.jpg (49.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg home_image.4737418.jpg (27.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: png 5930G_001.png (166.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Patek-Philippe-Worldtimer-Chronograph-5930G.jpg (137.5 KB, 202 views)
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2016, 11:28 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Interesting observation. I have heard that Patek was having some production problems with the new city ring. Maybe someone in the know can comment on it further.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 12:58 AM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

That's interesting. You should look back at 5110 to see how time zones have been removed/change since then as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 June 2016, 01:07 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

I think the change in names make sense. E.g. Dubai versus Riyadh! The last was obviously just pandering to a significant market versus a reference city for a time zone and of course Moscow needed to move due to change in time zone in 2014. As for the 5930 I am still on target for an October delivery. It will be interesting to see if that slips...would be an indication of production delays
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Bulliondesk
Banned

Interesting find! Thank you.
Bulliondesk is offline   Reply With Quote