The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Level of Interest in watches
Getting more interested in watches! 22 13.84%
No change - Still love it the same way that I used to 70 44.03%
Not too keen , not losing interest either 36 22.64%
Starting to lose interest 30 18.87%
Lost interest alltogether 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 June 2017, 05:24 AM   #31
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I'm going through a crisis myself. Nothing excites me anymore. 80% of my current collection bores me and I've started selling, a Breitling gone. Planning to go from 14 to 5 tops, possibly 3 later on. My rotation habits have all but vanished. There are mornings when I can't be bothered to open the box and pick what I'm going to wear. The quartz beater I usually wear to walk the dog is getting the most wrist time. No Rolex, Bretling, Omega, Longines. I feel like getting rid of most of it. What's wrong with me, an I sick?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 09:35 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I chose no change, I'm not really hunting seriously anymore as I have my slain my grail trio, but I do look forward to Basel and SIHH etc every year to see if I can add or shuffle around the variable part of my collection to keep things interesting.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 09:38 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I'm going through a crisis myself. Nothing excites me anymore. 80% of my current collection bores me and I've started selling, a Breitling gone. Planning to go from 14 to 5 tops, possibly 3 later on. My rotation habits have all but vanished. There are mornings when I can't be bothered to open the box and pick what I'm going to wear. The quartz beater I usually wear to walk the dog is getting the most wrist time. No Rolex, Bretling, Omega, Longines. I feel like getting rid of most of it. What's wrong with me, an I sick?
No I don't think you are, it's a natural stage to consolidate down from a large collection, I went from over a dozen down to 4/5 more high quality pieces and I have stayed around there. Maybe it's time to explore Haute brands or PM watches or even Haute PM watches.
Old 11 June 2017, 09:39 AM   #34
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Oh dear I am sorry to hear this! I think you need something a bit different or unique to reinvigorate interest. I believe a trip to several ADs is in order here's a few ideas: JLC, Glaschutte Original, Panerai and Tudor.

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 09:42 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
The hobby now seems to be more about money rather than passion for fine watchmaking which it used to be a while back. So I have lost interest in that respect.
Yes, esp in the UK, money and scarcity and AD games are taking over this "fun" hobby, esp with Rolex. Still I suppose it helps to keep things interesting after all as Tom Cruise said in Cocktail, It wouldn't be any fun if they fell over with their legs in the air, would it?
Old 11 June 2017, 09:54 AM   #36
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, esp in the UK, money and scarcity and AD games are taking over this "fun" hobby, esp with Rolex. Still I suppose it helps to keep things interesting after all as Tom Cruise said in Cocktail, It wouldn't be any fun if they fell over with their legs in the air, would it?
Agree with you Neil. It is also things like watches being bought for investments (seen several a 5711 thread talking about making a profit) and people having no interest in watches but buying to sell at ridiculous profits (Daytona ceramics).

We need to get the enthusiasm back towards fine watchmaking and the passion that goes into making the product and not always focus on the monetary aspect something which I am also guilty off.

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 09:54 AM   #37
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Losing Interest?

I have been swapping pieces I don't love and wear for ones I do and will. Not on a high dollar level but activity. Traded a Tudor Advisor for a Ranger and consideration. Selling a Ball.

Just really wanting to keep only pieces I wear or have sentimental value.

Other than that I like hunting value. Nomos, Archimede, Sinn etc.

I need to pare down my collection. Have too many. It like everything I have. Something will knock my socks off at some point and I will sell/trade to make the financial decision feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 11:10 AM   #38
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
U.K. Dealers seem to be losing a grip on reality. All manner of bizarre pricing decisions are being made in the shadow of sterling weakness. A zero or close to zero discount policy following some significant post Brexit and subsequent price rises in the U.K. renders many watches considerably more expensive than other markets.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 08:41 PM   #39
VicLeChic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
U.K. Dealers seem to be losing a grip on reality. All manner of bizarre pricing decisions are being made in the shadow of sterling weakness. A zero or close to zero discount policy following some significant post Brexit and subsequent price rises in the U.K. renders many watches considerably more expensive than other markets.
Watches are still significantly cheaper in the UK because prices have not increased all the way to make up for the fall of the pound sterling.

E.g. the new Rolex Sea-Dweller 126600:

Current FX rate GBP / EUR: 1.138
price in the UK : 8,350 GBP = 9,502 EUR
price in the EU: 10,450 EUR

So buying in the UK will save yourselves almost 11% off EU price, not bad !
Old 11 June 2017, 08:45 PM   #40
VicLeChic
Banned

Quote:
Oh dear I am sorry to hear this! I think you need something a bit different or unique to reinvigorate interest. I believe a trip to several ADs is in order here's a few ideas: JLC, Glaschutte Original, Panerai and Tudor.

Thanks man, but high-end is not for me. Can't afford it and not interested anyway.
Old 11 June 2017, 09:12 PM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree with this. AD's attitudes are far worse in the last several years. So many AD's are acting like they are doing you a favor selling you a five figure watch. Or dismiss you out of hand when inquiring about a piece. Rolex didn't adjust pricing from 1.70USD per pound in 2014 until well after 1.20USD per pound after brexit so tourists (or expats, as there are a lot of us) have had years to buy these pieces on sale and the AD's are getting a bit jaded on how easy their job of selling watches has become. The rate was in the 1.30 to 1.40 range for a long time without a price increase until falling to 1.20 and a modest increase.

Watch sales are up overall in the UK and down almost everywhere else world wide. So i don't fault any AD for not discounting when they don't have to. The games they play however are getting old real quick.

As to the OP's question i would have lost interest altogether in Rolex had it not been for the WG Daytona on Oysterflex. Other than that I am done with that brand as far as purchases go. Other brands I have more interest in though, AP and IWC in particular. So not sure how to vote
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 12:27 AM   #42
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watches are still significantly cheaper in the UK because prices have not increased all the way to make up for the fall of the pound sterling.

E.g. the new Rolex Sea-Dweller 126600:

Current FX rate GBP / EUR: 1.138
price in the UK : 8,350 GBP = 9,502 EUR
price in the EU: 10,450 EUR

So buying in the UK will save yourselves almost 11% off EU price, not bad !
Fair enough. I can't really comment on Rolex. I was referring to other brands that I buy regularly. Undiscounted ex vat prices can be much more expensive than discounted prices in other countries. I just had a quote on a Lange that was a full 20 per cent cheaper in Hong Kong as an example. Of course there is no hard and fast rule but the window I exploited immediately after Brexit has closed following price rises and elimination of any discounts in many cases.
Old 12 June 2017, 03:26 AM   #43
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Sadly, my interest has somewhat dwindled over the past few months.
For over 40 years my passion for watches has risen and fallen, but remained firm.
But now I feel that I need to step away from it all. And spend more time doing other things, as well as my money.
This will undoubtedly please my family enormously: chuckle:
My collection at its peek was 8 pieces strong, but now its down to four.
Next year I shall turn 60 and with it or hopefully before, I shall get one piece, which will be my watch to wear for all occasions.
Old 12 June 2017, 05:34 AM   #44
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Poor communication, broken promises and lack of information from certain top brands, lots of reliability issues and a couple of examples of truly shocking warranty service. Several problematic deals with used dealers in the last 18 months or so. No real problems for many years before. Buy backs not honoured, watches not precisely as described, broken watches delivered, trade bids considerably below market (well beyond the usual bid/offer spread). Also a much increased number of time wasters on here, with a total absence of basic courtesies.

Of course things happen and things don't always work out, but the volume has increased a lot as the market has found itself a little more difficult. Also a lot more nasty stories on legitimate ADs than ever used to be the case. In difficult times, I guess a lot of people start to cut corners.
Wow, I am lucky enough to have only once experienced a problem when the ce case of my AP diver cracked, fixed in the best way by AP, but I play little league compared to you when it comes to watches

Quote:
The hobby now seems to be more about money rather than passion for fine watchmaking which it used to be a while back. So I have lost interest in that respect.
I think money was always a part of it, except it was more on a select group of people who bought incredible watches, and of course the crazy second hand prices for new models like 5131, 5711 and 5712 does play a role, now making profit is easy with these models, and I do find an appealing aspect to the fact that of the watches I now have, I would probably loose money only one one, the 5167R, should I decide to sell, ok I am financially taking a big risk on the Voutilainen, but this is the watch I want to leave my son, could imagine how freakin happy I would have been had my dad left me such a watch when he passed away, so this is one watch that I will not want to sell whatever happens...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 11:29 AM   #45
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I'm losing interest. I've bought 21 Rolex. At one point I would have 6 or 7 at a time.

I've embraced a more minamilist lifestyle and love it. Smaller house. No car. Which means no gas, oil, maintenance, insurance , parking issues or tolls. I have a 50 CC scooter that gets me to work and home. Use public transportation as well.

I used to have two houses, the Mercedes, a Harley. All gone.

I'm down to two Rolex I rotate. A 39 mm Grape OP and an LV.

Never been happier.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #46
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I'm losing interest. I've bought 21 Rolex. At one point I would have 6 or 7 at a time.

I've embraced a more minamilist lifestyle and love it. Smaller house. No car. Which means no gas, oil, maintenance, insurance , parking issues or tolls. I have a 50 CC scooter that gets me to work and home. Use public transportation as well.

I used to have two houses, the Mercedes, a Harley. All gone.

I'm down to two Rolex I rotate. A 39 mm Grape OP and an LV.

Never been happier.

Sounds awesome! I have been downsizing as well!
Old 12 June 2017, 11:46 AM   #47
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I'm at 14 watches now...collection got a bit out of hand and I was hasty in making a few purchases, but that's life. My goal is to get it down to 5 or so that I love, and try to keep it at that, and if I add in the future it would have to involve letting one go. The process of selling has been a painful one and has made me sour a little on the hobby - while I think the vast majority of folks (on this forum and elsewhere) are great, there are a few that make me question my faith in humanity (an over exaggeration, but you get my point).
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 12:58 PM   #48
cervantes
"TRF" Member

It's a hobby, so enthusiasm comes and goes. Always love horology but in terms of expanding the collection it depends on different factors. I admit to having been hurt on many used sales of less popular brands so have been sticking to relatively safer purchases (vintage Rolex, some Pateks, and certain models that have strong demand).

I know that if I leave the store with a lovely Duometre it's worth half the price right outside the door. So that isn't happening anymore for me. Much of this is based on the incredible overstocking and overproduction that has taken place in the industry over the last 10 years. Hopefully that is starting to change and brands are starting to consolidate. Reasonable price corrections usually follow afterwards.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 05:21 PM   #49
adnjoo
"TRF" Member

After buying and selling many watches in the past year, I can say that yes I am losing a bit of interest.

I've found that I like to focus on less watches, with the specifications of thin, stainless steel, simple functions, usually sports watches with water resistance from either Patek or Rolex. And occasionally bargains in the JLC department or wherever.
adnjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:34 AM   #50
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

For a 4 years I did not get any new Rolex then one day I got back on the forums and realized that the new Daytona SS C was out, so I got another Daytona and now I'm back to the forum often, during my off years, I still had all my watches so my fleet is stable.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:42 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm still a keener

I'm happy with what I have but I'm always very interested to see what's coming out at Basel. Heck, I haven't even gotten into other brands yet, and of course there's vintage ...
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:21 PM   #52
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Poor communication, broken promises and lack of information from certain top brands, lots of reliability issues and a couple of examples of truly shocking warranty service. Several problematic deals with used dealers in the last 18 months or so. No real problems for many years before. Buy backs not honoured, watches not precisely as described, broken watches delivered, trade bids considerably below market (well beyond the usual bid/offer spread). Also a much increased number of time wasters on here, with a total absence of basic courtesies.

Of course things happen and things don't always work out, but the volume has increased a lot as the market has found itself a little more difficult. Also a lot more nasty stories on legitimate ADs than ever used to be the case. In difficult times, I guess a lot of people start to cut corners.
This is quite shocking coming from a top collector like you. I always thought that high-level customers were handled with white gloves but it seems that it's not the case anymore.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:28 PM   #53
fmc000
Banned

A few years ago I had as much as 30 watches from at least 10 different brands. I use to post on 5-6 different watch forums.

I sold almost everything, keeping only my daily wear, a 16523, and a G-Shock that I use only doing some outdoor activities. I post only here on TRF and only visit only a few times a week.

This year I didn't even go to Baselworld and I even have a few books and magazines collected at Basel during the years that are still wrapped in plastic.

So I can safely say that I'm starting to lose interest.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 09:11 PM   #54
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Just the same interest, but after reading that post of someone getting his BLNR robbed of his wrist in Ibiza, I think sometimes its not worth having anything nice nowadays, someone will ruin it. A sign of the times I suppose.
Old 16 June 2017, 01:40 AM   #55
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cut down massively and can't spend nearly as much time on the hobby as I used to. A much smaller number of higher value pieces in my current collection. Too many poor experiences have really affected my enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
This.
Would you mind gents please share some wisdom on how to avoid poor experiences?

Much appreciated!
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 09:20 AM   #56
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
This is quite shocking coming from a top collector like you. I always thought that high-level customers were handled with white gloves but it seems that it's not the case anymore.
On the positive side AP treat me exceptionally well which is why they are now getting the vast majority of my business.
Old 17 June 2017, 10:29 AM   #57
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Interesting to see different thoughts on this crazy hobby. I'm slowing down with watch purchases but my interest in this hobby is still pretty high. I think I have a good grasp of what I like so I'm more selective and less impulsive.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:24 PM   #58
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have at least 25 watches.

I've reached a saturation point.

I haven't lost interest, but I do have more than I can reasonably get to on a regular basis.

Still, every once in awhile, I see one I have to have.

My interest is sort of moving toward vintage American watches, but I only have a couple at this time.

I have a new Hamilton Illinois from 1954 that I only wore for one weekend before taking it in to the dealer for a regulation. The owner asked if I'd like a full service under warranty, so I said yes.

It's been about three weeks now and I'm Jonesing, so I guess my interest is still up there.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 02:36 PM   #59
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I have obtained every watch I wanted and I am happy.
Old 17 June 2017, 03:29 PM   #60
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, losing interest recently. . . have been through a bunch that helped define my taste, whittled down to a hand full that satisfies. The only ones that have the potential to stir the pot again are new models but since my aesthetic preference is so narrow, the odds are slim even for that . . . time will tell, with no pun intended.