The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 July 2017, 12:00 PM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
In-house movement for 26320/26331

I saw an interview on YouTube where a journalist asked the president of AP if they were doing a in-house movement for the Royal oak chronograph. He said "it's already done we just need to figure out the best way to roll it out". I am wanting to buy a classic 26320st but wondering if I should hold out. I like the same size subdials in the 26320st compared to the 26331. Do you think they will stick with the odd size subdials if they go in-house and two tone dial? Do you think In house will lower the value of the 26320st or will it hold strong? Is no in house movement a deterrent for anyone else when considering the 26320? Although I do like the F piguet movement and appreciate it.

Thanks for any chit chat about the issue

Josh
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 12:04 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

I think it's coming next year. Who knows.

But I personally would not buy an AP until after SIHH in Jan.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 01:43 PM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I think it's coming next year. Who knows.

But I personally would not buy an AP until after SIHH in Jan.
This, well for the ROC's, for the others don't wait.
Yes I think actual model prices will go down a little once the inhouse are in
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 05:31 PM   #4
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I saw an interview on YouTube where a journalist asked the president of AP if they were doing a in-house movement for the Royal oak chronograph. He said "it's already done we just need to figure out the best way to roll it out".
For reference, I believe that you are referring to this interview, which follows the announcement of the Royal Oak Frosted Gold collection in November 2016 and is likely to have taken place around the time of SIHH in 2017 in January of that year.

Quote:
I like the same size subdials in the 26320st compared to the 26331. Do you think they will stick with the odd size subdials if they go in-house and two tone dial?
The new Royal Oak Chronograph range was launched at SIHH 2017 to coincide with the 20th anniversary year of the model. I think that it would be unusual for Audemars Piguet to update this piece with an in house movement so soon; it would likely displease those collectors who purchased the newly launched Royal Oak Chronograph pieces, which generally came to market only a few months ago.

With that said, if they were to do this, the installation of an in house movement would offer them an opportunity to continue the smaller sub-dial design or to revert to equal-sized sub-dials based on the market reception of the SIHH 2017 launched design. Personally, I think they made the change for a reason and will likely continue with it, unless it has proved overwhelming unpopular - which I do not think is the case.

I suppose that it is a possibility that they intend to sell the non-in house and in house movement equipped Royal Oak Chronograph variants alongside one another, at least for some period, even if I think it would be rather odd for them to do so, but in which case they could use the different dial design to help differentiate the models.

Quote:
Do you think In house will lower the value of the 26320st or will it hold strong?
I am not at all so certain that it will; it is my understanding that when Vacheron Constantin introduced the new Overseas Chronograph with an in house movement, they significantly increased the list price. At present, in the UK, the stainless steel case and bracelet variant of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph retails for GBP 20,500 and the equivalent Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph for GBP 27,100. I would generally expect that Audemars Piguet would increase the retail price for an in house variant of the Royal Oak Chronograph - perhaps materially so.

Quote:
Is no in house movement a deterrent for anyone else when considering the 26320? Although I do like the F piguet movement and appreciate it.
Even if I generally believe that the demand for in house movements is overblown in certain cases, it is a feature that I appreciate and broadly actively look for. As such, the lack of an in house movement is somewhat of a setback for the piece, but this needs to be weighed against some of the other factors listed above. One thing that I regret, which is likely to be rectified in an in house variant of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph is current version's lack of a display caseback.

Last edited by kingofthehill; 14 July 2017 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Considering the possibility of an in house and non-in house ROC being sold side-by-side
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 05:39 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post

I am not at all so certain that it will; it is my understanding that when Vacheron Constantin introduced the new Overseas Chronograph with an in house movement, they significantly increased the list price. At present, in the UK, the stainless steel case and bracelet variant of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph retails for GBP 20,500 and the equivalent Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph for GBP 27,100. I would generally expect that Audemars Piguet would increase the retail price for an in house variant of the Royal Oak Chronograph.

Even if I generally believe that the demand for in house movements is overblown in certain cases, it is a feature that I appreciate and broadly actively look for. As such, the lack of an in house movement is somewhat of a setback for the piece, but this needs to be weighed against some of the other factors listed above. One thing that I regret, which is likely to be rectified in an in house variant of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph is current version's lack of a display caseback.

Sounds like we are pretty much on the same page on that point. Rather than retype ill just do a link. In any case i don't think an in house vs non in-house will necessarily compete with each other as generally the buyers (non wis) will be different due to price points. Im a casual VC fan so the new pricing for in house turned me off. If i was a hardcore VC fan i would have no issue with it. We are all pretty hardcore AP fans here but i suspect the watch buying public at large are not and the in-house will be a tougher sell and most will prefer the old version.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=12
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2017, 07:20 PM   #6
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Thanks for your detailed responses kingofthehill and Tyler. I really appreciated the read.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #7
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

In 2014, in an interesting and extended interview with Revolution Watch, Bennahmias mentions a four year timeline for the delivery of new mechanisms, in reference to an in-house chronograph calibre that will be developed alongside and therefore presumably on top of a new self-winding calibre.

From Bennahmias' comments, we should expect these new calibres to arrive in 2018. Again, it is surprising to me that they would then re-update the Royal Oak Chronograph, but we will see - as mentioned, I think Bennahmias is consistent and considered with his comments.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2017, 03:02 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I'll wait a while. Inhouse movement might mean some time to work out the kinks ( eg the 3120 which still have issues ). Plus, most likely cost a premium.

What I am wishing for is an ROC in full ceramic.
Old 16 July 2017, 03:05 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

What I am wishing for is an ROC in full ceramic.
on my wishlist as well.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote