The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 June 2017, 03:14 AM   #1
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Heuer skipper hodinkee limited edition

Cool looking watch, $5,900. Any of you guys going to go for it? You can pick it up tonight at the launch party in NY if you do.
Capture.PNG
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

It's very nice and sold out already. Hopefully Tag Heuer will offer something similar in a non limited edition at some point. (Almost certainly I'd imagine)
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Another Hodinkee pastiche?
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:40 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I feel it is a little too much for 6k but might be wrong
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:24 AM   #5
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

I too felt it was high but they did sell out so who knows.
It has a unique look.
Old 22 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

No thanks
Old 22 June 2017, 07:59 AM   #7
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

For me it's the most appealing of all the H editions with the exception of the VC. I can't comment as to 'value' or 'worth' as I don't track TAG at all. They did sell out, but slowly relative to previous issues.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:49 AM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

Seems like strange way to buy a watch. You don't get to see it first, you have to decide immediately before its sold out, zero time to think it over, 24 hours ago you had no idea it was coming. No thanks.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:52 AM   #9
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Seems like strange way to buy a watch. You don't get to see it first, you have to decide immediately before its sold out, zero time to think it over, 24 hours ago you had no idea it was coming. No thanks.

That's the Hodinkee factor. I suspect most buyers are wealthy fanboys who have that kind of money ready to go. That said, it's a pretty watch, with some nice historical nods. Good modern size too, although I found when I tried on the the Calibre 18 Telemter, on which the Hodinkee Skipper is based, that it wore quite small.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 09:08 AM   #10
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's pretty nice looking. I didn't buy one, but there have been worse collaborations. It will be interesting to see if tag immediately releases the same watch in a different color (like the zenith collaboration)
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 09:45 AM   #11
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
It will be interesting to see if tag immediately releases the same watch in a different color (like the zenith collaboration)

Given the historical basis for the colours chosen by Tag Heuer and Hodinkee, I'm not sure where Tag could go in offering different colour choices that would be as evocative?

Old 22 June 2017, 03:29 PM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I do think that they have nailed it based on the target audience for pretty much every one of their collaborations which is why they sell out so quick. This one is no exception.

The Zenith was pretty much perfect for Zenith collectors, the VC was very done, the MB&F in steel was incredible. If you are a fan of Ressence, that one was great too. So i think its safe to say that if you already like the brand that they decide to do a collaboration with you already know its going to be very well done as they have developed quite a lot of trust based their past track record which makes it easier for someone to immediately buy without seeing in person.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:03 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I do think that they have nailed it based on the target audience for pretty much every one of their collaborations which is why they sell out so quick. This one is no exception.

The Zenith was pretty much perfect for Zenith collectors, the VC was very done, the MB&F in steel was incredible. If you are a fan of Ressence, that one was great too. So i think its safe to say that if you already like the brand that they decide to do a collaboration with you already know its going to be very well done as they have developed quite a lot of trust based their past track record which makes it easier for someone to immediately buy without seeing in person.
They have built an incredible base of wealthy fanboys. Watch looks pretty cool though I wouldn't part with 6k for it.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:35 PM   #14
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
I love the Skipper but not a watch for me. As others have stated, they have a pretty dedicated group of followers and realistically this was a "reasonable" price point for this watch when you consider the new Autavia retails at a hair above $5,000 and is a regular production piece.
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:20 AM   #15
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Its a great looking watch. I wonder if people bought it on spec to try and resell it.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
Its a great looking watch. I wonder if people bought it on spec to try and resell it.
some probably did as with any limited edition, but from the look of the launch party it seems to be a pretty regular WIS crowd that were super into the watch to me.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...e-launch-party
Old 23 June 2017, 06:15 AM   #17
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
some probably did as with any limited edition, but from the look of the launch party it seems to be a pretty regular WIS crowd that were super into the watch to me.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...e-launch-party
I hope that's the case. I had the watch in the shopping cart and almost pulled the trigger but then i thought to myself am I even a fan of Tag watches?
Hodinkee does have the power to create that warm and fuzzy exclusive feeling with these releases. I have a feeling watch brands will be fighting over who gets the next exclusive.
Old 23 June 2017, 06:22 AM   #18
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a feeling watch brands will be fighting over who gets the next exclusive.

I can't imagine that it is worth much to the manufacturers at such small numbers. It's not like these are small companies that need Hodinkee's endorsement to get a leg-up. More likely just a little bit of fun in the industry to keep the whole luxury image kicking along.
Old 23 June 2017, 06:50 AM   #19
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
I can't imagine that it is worth much to the manufacturers at such small numbers. It's not like these are small companies that need Hodinkee's endorsement to get a leg-up. More likely just a little bit of fun in the industry to keep the whole luxury image kicking along.
I disagree. If you look at the downward spiral in Swiss watch sales in the last couple years along with the obscene amounts of money they spend in advertising normally this Hodinkee effect even if only for a 100 units or so is hitting all the right places for them.
Old 23 June 2017, 08:04 AM   #20
Aututto
Banned

I think it's cool Tag is making them one. Didn't Ben buy a carrera that was older than the original thought production date? Seems more fitting for Hondikee than some of the other limited watches. I still think I liked the zenith best.
Aututto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I like it, not enough to buy though

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 08:28 AM   #22
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree. If you look at the downward spiral in Swiss watch sales in the last couple years along with the obscene amounts of money they spend in advertising normally this Hodinkee effect even if only for a 100 units or so is hitting all the right places for them.

So you agree! The profit from 125 watches is going to make no difference to the bottom line of an individual company, but will help a downturned industry.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:30 AM   #23
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Looks sharp!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:46 AM   #24
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Never could justify paying Rolex money for a tag.
Old 23 June 2017, 11:50 AM   #25
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Pass. Maybe at half the price. Only Tag that does anything for me is the Monaco and at that preferably the Gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:48 PM   #26
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
The Zenith collaboration was perfect in my opinion; decent price and a great looking watch - I just wish they had made more so that I could have bought one.

This, on the other hand, does absolutely nothing for me. I don't care for the historical significance at all on a watch if I can't get past the aesthetics. Plus, not a TAG fan. I guess I was never the intended audience...
Old 23 June 2017, 04:15 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope that's the case. I had the watch in the shopping cart and almost pulled the trigger but then i thought to myself am I even a fan of Tag watches?
Hodinkee does have the power to create that warm and fuzzy exclusive feeling with these releases. I have a feeling watch brands will be fighting over who gets the next exclusive.
I agree. Not because of the numbers these sales add the bottom line on 100 or so watches to a watch company, but because of what these collaborations mean. They mean the watch company is designing watches specifically with the watch community in mind. Making them they way a WIS wants them to be made as opposed to design decisions in some back room in Switzerland. Say what you want about the Hodinkee editions, but they are designed with an eye for what collectors and enthusiasts of the brands they have collaborated with actually want. That shift in strategy has only positive implications overall. Im sure lots of other brands want that image of make something for the watch community and making something that the community actually wants. Without Hodinkee the Skipper in particular would not have been made period. There is no way Tag was coming up with that one on their own. And who knows, now they might issue something similar again in a non hodinkee edition because of the response.

Im sure we would all rather have hodinkee editions than range rover editions, bentley editions, boutique specific editions, and whatever other nothing to do with watches co branding editions there also are out there.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:05 PM   #28
TudorBeast
Banned

Watch: 114060
I'm very much enjoying mine on the wrist!

The dial is absolutely gorgeous and the overall dimensions work so well on my wrist. This is a keeper for sure :)

TudorBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:07 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorBeast View Post
I'm very much enjoying mine on the wrist!

The dial is absolutely gorgeous and the overall dimensions work so well on my wrist. This is a keeper for sure :)

nice
Old 23 June 2017, 05:12 PM   #30
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Never could justify paying Rolex money for a tag.

Not sure why not. People are easily paying vintage Submariner money for similarly dated Autavias - might be a trend.