The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2017, 03:38 AM   #1
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD pricing behavior

I have a question regarding Rolex AD pricing and what the "hard and fast" rules are regarding their ability to sell over the list price. This question came to my mind with the introduction of several recent Stainless Steel models (Skydweller, new 43 Seadweller, etc....). Whether it is poor form aside, can they sell over list if they want to?
rolexkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:09 PM   #2
Xerxes77
Banned

Seems yes!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:13 PM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Certainly not in the UK, and most of Europe and America I think, while Asia is more relaxed.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:13 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
If someone will pay then why not?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:18 PM   #5
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
If someone will pay then why not?
Everybody wants to get paid.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:20 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexkidd View Post
I have a question regarding Rolex AD pricing and what the "hard and fast" rules are regarding their ability to sell over the list price. This question came to my mind with the introduction of several recent Stainless Steel models (Skydweller, new 43 Seadweller, etc....). Whether it is poor form aside, can they sell over list if they want to?
Rolex watches are only set by Rolex as manufacturer's recommended price so in theory they could charge what they like.But I believe Rolex is cracking down on these crazy prices like they did quite recently in Singapore.If you are not happy with any price quoted just walk away its that simple.Even on the Rolex site where the prices are shown there is a small information box when clicked it shows its a suggested price.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:20 PM   #7
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Always looking for a sucker I guess, but if one ever asked me too I'd never purchase from them then or in the future as it's in such poor taste.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 02:58 AM   #8
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

I've talked to a few dealers and am not aware of any that are selling watches above MSRP.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:02 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

MSRP, manufacturer's suggested retail price. RRP, recommended retail price.

You hear "rumours" about Rolex cracking down on price variation, and it's certainly true that they contractually require stores to not discount. However, the practice of charging more than retail on rare pieces is clearly quite common, and done in an obvious enough way that Rolex would easily notice if they cared to. There's really no conclusion to reach except that (at least most of the time) they don't. Chain stores seem reluctant to charge above MSRP, but I suspect that's mostly because they want to keep consistent pricing across the chain. At more local stores, I've seen it plenty of times, including at big, prominent jewelers. A few months ago I asked about a BLNR priced $500 over MSRP, and the response was simply "It's a highly desired piece."
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:06 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

much more common is making a popular model's sale being conditional to also buying a PM watch and i have come across that several times. Selling above RRP is quite rare and i personally have never seen it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:18 AM   #11
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
In the US, they probably should not and probably not a good idea for Rolex USA to find out. Rolex does not want the ADs offering up say SS Daytonas for double retail one month and another price next month and so forth and so on. Product pricing should promote general consistency with msrp on the price ceiling side. There is a natural pricing floor because it is essentially collateralized with the pre-owned watch value. You can never control a store owner offering discounts for "good" customers. But you can control what may be looked at as unfair pricing practices on the premium or those practices that would cause unnecessary brand value deterioration as a result of dealer induced pricing/value volatility. This may artificially influence overall product demand in a region, especially if conducted by a larger chain of ADs.

Rolex S.A. has or should say from my understanding allows some variations. I'd imagine this is largely to allow pricing equilibrium by the dealers where there may be less liquid/stable local currencies.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:16 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
On the books, no. At least in the US, anyways.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 07:40 AM   #13
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Never heard of a US AD selling over list price. If it happened, I think it would have been reported on here. But as others said, it does seem to happen in certain markets. Singapore was the one with multiple reports of this recently.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:25 PM   #14
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all the replies. Looks like I am gonna have to head back to the AD and tell him/her that I don't appreciate the shifty behavior of trying to mark up the Skydweller over the MSRP and do my best to force them to sell me a SS model for the price that's listed on the website. Maybe I just misread their attempt but I think it was pretty clear they were trying to get a premium.
rolexkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:32 PM   #15
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Just popped into my AD and paid ticket price for my sd43 :-) , maybe a bottle of fine scotch whisky over retail is in order
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:59 PM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I appreciate all the replies. Looks like I am gonna have to head back to the AD and tell him/her that I don't appreciate the shifty behavior of trying to mark up the Skydweller over the MSRP and do my best to force them to sell me a SS model for the price that's listed on the website. Maybe I just misread their attempt but I think it was pretty clear they were trying to get a premium.
You cant force them to sell you it. Id simply tell them if they refuse to come down they will lose your business and hope for the best. Dont hold your breath though.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 12:07 AM   #17
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
MSRP, manufacturer's suggested retail price. RRP, recommended retail price.

You hear "rumours" about Rolex cracking down on price variation, and it's certainly true that they contractually require stores to not discount. However, the practice of charging more than retail on rare pieces is clearly quite common, and done in an obvious enough way that Rolex would easily notice if they cared to. There's really no conclusion to reach except that (at least most of the time) they don't. Chain stores seem reluctant to charge above MSRP, but I suspect that's mostly because they want to keep consistent pricing across the chain. At more local stores, I've seen it plenty of times, including at big, prominent jewelers. A few months ago I asked about a BLNR priced $500 over MSRP, and the response was simply "It's a highly desired piece."
No, its certainly not true. They do not contractually require stores to not discount.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #18
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

An AD selling a new watch over list is strictly forbidden in the UK (potentially an account-ending infringement of a dealership's contract)
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 01:50 AM   #19
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Not openly.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:29 AM   #20
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
An AD I've gone to for several hard to find pieces has always quoted me MSRP and never over...other than the 116610lv, which he's forewarned me that, if he gets stock, he'll be selling it to me above MSRP (though his quotes price is still well below current grey pricing here)
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote