The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2017, 02:15 PM   #31
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover914 View Post
Hello all!! My AD called me today and said that he has a 2000 Daytona with a Zenith movement and a black face with box and papers that he would sell me for $16500.00(US). I am wondering if this is a good deal and is it a watch, that if I tired of it in a month or two, could I sell for what I paid or more?

Thank you in advance for all of your wonderfully honest opinions!!

It's definitely a good buy at this price with box and papers if the watch is in mint condition, and of course if you like Daytona and know that it will get some wrist time.

I've always been a Daytona fan and have started to follow (old and new) Daytona prices for almost a year now and can't see the upward price swing stopping anytime soon. Unless another major credit crunch hits the markets, you will be able to sell it at the same or likely a higher price if you get tired of it.

I sold my 116520 recently and now I'm regretting a bit and I'm telling myself that I'll hold onto my zenith and my DaytonaC :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 11:08 PM   #32
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. There does seem to be some opposing thoughts as to whether this one is a good value. I have never fancied the Daytona before, although I love chronographs. I have usually gone Omega for them, but the new Omegas are thick and huge and really too big for me. So I am considering this one as a trial run but don't want to lose my shirt if in 30 days I decide I don't like it.

Old 23 September 2017, 11:23 PM   #33
teo
"TRF" Member

It is worth more than US$16500 for complete set. U will get much more than this if u sell it off. Currently a normal zenith daytona without box and paper is selling for around US$15k and above.
Just buy it u will not regret this deal.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 12:12 AM   #34
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Hello all!! My AD called me today and said that he has a 2000 Daytona with a Zenith movement and a black face with box and papers that he would sell me for $16500.00(US). I am wondering if this is a good deal and is it a watch, that if I tired of it in a month or two, could I sell for what I paid or more?

Thank you in advance for all of your wonderfully honest opinions!!
I bought my zenith in 2016 for $9.8k. Now that the ceramic Daytona’s out I doubt you’ll ever see them that low again. It’s absolutely incredible how much these have shot up in the last year. This watch outperformed my entire stock portfolio by a long shot. That’s a fairly good deal given you’re looking at the Mark V dial with superluminova and SEL - a more desirable Zenith. I think a blowout deal would be $14-14.5k.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 12:15 AM   #35
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
No it is not a good deal in my opinion. Some guys fail to realize that the Zenith movement Daytona that brings the premium prices are the earlier models with one of the noted rare dials - the floating Cosmograph/inverted 6 dials or the ones with the inverted 6 dials. Until recently, the later Zenith Daytonas were not in demand at all. I believe many didn't realize that the prices are driven by the rarer dial variations of this watch and not by it having a Zenith movement.

But, with that said, if you like it and think it's the next hot collector watch, indulge yourself. For me, my money is on the anniversary 16610LV Submariner sets from 2004-2008.
That’s incorrect. The cheapest Zeniths you can find on the market these days are at a bear minimum $15k (without box/papers and mark IV dials). Inverted 6 dials are roughly $20k and Patrizzi/floating cosmograph are $25k and up. I’ve seen full set, NOS floating cosmographs sell for $65k
Old 24 September 2017, 02:18 AM   #36
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschneid View Post
That’s incorrect. The cheapest Zeniths you can find on the market these days are at a bear minimum $15k (without box/papers and mark IV dials). Inverted 6 dials are roughly $20k and Patrizzi/floating cosmograph are $25k and up. I’ve seen full set, NOS floating cosmographs sell for $65k
Collector Rolex watches are not driven by movements but aesthetics. Nothing is incorrect at all in my post.

The minions not familiar on why the Zenith Daytonas are bringing a premium have fallen for hype from dealers/sellers.

I just sold a complete Daytona set from 1992. Inverted 6, white dial for $9900. It was listed for a few months. If the movement made it that collectable and rare, it should have sold for double. But, it was a two-tone model and not stainless. Aesthetics!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #37
teo
"TRF" Member

Yes stainless steel 16520 without box and paper cheapest is around US$15k.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:05 AM   #38
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Yes stainless steel 16520 without box and paper cheapest is around US$15k.
Really ? Oh Wow ! I'll be damned.
As of now in Malaysia ,there's actually a SS white dial Daytona 16520 (year not stated) in excellent condition minus box minus papers for sale in the local market listed at USD 10xxx.

Once again back in 2013 , a Chinese friend of mine sold just the watch alone from 1994 for USD 76xx ! Not kidding. On the Omega forum last year I actually posted a couple of photos of a SS Daytona Zenith El Primero from the early 90s. Many readers on the forum were surprised when I mentioned that the Rolex owner actually wanted a straight swap for a pre moon Omega Speedmaster 105.012-65 Cal 321.
Whether a deal was done or not , I don't know but I bet my bottom dollar, he received lots of PMs
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:22 AM   #39
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Collector Rolex watches are not driven by movements but aesthetics. Nothing is incorrect at all in my post.

The minions not familiar on why the Zenith Daytonas are bringing a premium have fallen for hype from dealers/sellers.

I just sold a complete Daytona set from 1992. Inverted 6, white dial for $9900. It was listed for a few months. If the movement made it that collectable and rare, it should have sold for double. But, it was a two-tone model and not stainless. Aesthetics!!!
I should have specified stainless Zeniths. You will not find them under $15- two tone is a whole other ball game. And minions? Get over yourself
Old 24 September 2017, 04:29 AM   #40
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
I should have specified stainless Zeniths. You will not find them under $15- two tone is a whole other ball game. And minions? Get over yourself
Thanks for the kind words.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:18 AM   #41
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.
Anytime
Old 24 September 2017, 05:22 AM   #42
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Here is the picture he sent me.

Quote:
The AD sent me a picture but I can't tell how "mint" it is and have yet to see it in the metal. Truthfully, I have never been a huge Daytona fan, but I like Chronographs for their sporty look. And it would be nice to get a deal on one that actually might be worth a bit more then I pay as I am kind of a serial flipper with some models. He told me that they sell for up to $25K, although I have not seen any examples of them. I am going to see if he can shoot me a picture of the papers so I can see more info on it.
The condition look to be decent not mint & has been polished a few time...

Just looking at this one picture, you still get a decent deal @ $16,500 but not a steal deal.......

Just be careful..... If it all that... He could sell it easily @ $20,000 or more as what he say....

Quote:
No it is not a good deal in my opinion. Some guys fail to realize that the Zenith movement Daytona that brings the premium prices are the earlier models with one of the noted rare dials - the floating Cosmograph/inverted 6 dials or the ones with the inverted 6 dials. Until recently, the later Zenith Daytonas were not in demand at all. I believe many didn't realize that the prices are driven by the rarer dial variations of this watch and not by it having a Zenith movement.

But, with that said, if you like it and think it's the next hot collector watch, indulge yourself. For me, my money is on the anniversary 16610LV Submariner sets from 2004-2008.
Quote:
Both you guys are correct.... Nobody is wrong here.....

The Daytona with the Zeniths movement are desirable......

&

If you have a rare dials it even more desirable....

Example, I got an offer in the range of $31,000 to $35,000 last month during August & recently I got another insane offer @ $40,000 last week on the watch because of the condition & full set.....

All offer had been turn down because the watch have so many sentimental values....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote