The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2017, 02:49 AM   #31
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
You are overthinking it. The watch that will mean the most to your son is the watch that he saw you wearing throughout his life. Don't buy the watch that you think he will like, buy the watch that you like. This is the watch that will mean the most to him.
A few years ago I had a fleeting thought to sell my watch, which was my Dads. I had worn it daily for over 30 years. I was going to fund a ALS 1815 Chrono with it. If my Dad were still alive he would do it I a heartbeat. The whole sale was instantly derailed when my then 17 year old son caught wind of my plans. He got really upset. I told him not to worry he would be getting a really nice watch one day. He didn't care, he wanted to have his dad's watch, the one he saw every day growing up. It could have been any watch. Buy the watch you like, your kid will treasure it someday.
Old 24 September 2017, 03:36 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments here. Kevin of Larchmont really did a particularly great job of putting things into perspective. Hard to make a wrong choice between those two watches -- not only are they great timepieces, but what really matters is the relationship with my son.

One last question -- am I correct in assuming that both watches are tough as nails and built to last a lifetime?
Correctomundo.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 06:30 AM   #33
ink3027
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the help guys, y'all are great. Thanks to everyone.
ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 06:30 AM   #34
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink3027 View Post
This is my first post on this forum. I've been lurking for a while, but decided to register an account and begin posting. Just want to say how great this community is from what I've been able to tell, and I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

To make a long story short, over the past couple of years I've really gotten into watches as a hobby -- buying/selling, researching, learning the history, you name it. After going through many Seiko-level watches, and even a couple of entry level luxury pieces (Christopher Ward and Stowa), I've decided to become a one watch guy. Naturally, after much research, Rolex fits the bill perfectly. My wife and I have a son that just turned 3, and I'd love to have one watch that I wear 24/7 and can give to him down the road at the right time, perhaps a college graduation or wedding gift.

With that said, I've narrowed it down to two choices, a 114060 or BLNR. My head says 114060 because it's arguably the most iconic, timeless watch out there. It's versatile - perfect for nearly every occasion, and now particularly with the ceramic bezel is built to last. Such a great piece. But my heart is torn and leaning toward the BLNR. I just can't get over how beautiful it is. The blue is the absolute perfect shade and it's probably the sexiest watch I've seen.

I feel like the 114060 should be the choice here given its versatility, but can't quite get away from how much I like the BLNR. Edit: I just re-read this post and I don't want this to sound like I don't like the 114060, and feel obligated to buy it. It's a gorgeous watch in its own right, just perhaps a tad more of a safe choice than the BLNR.

So, with that long-winded rambling (sorry guys, not a good first impresesion haha), does anyone here have any advice, or maybe gone through a similar decision?

I appreciate any thoughts/help/comments.
I am in similar situation myself. I have a first grandson who is just turning two, and from he was old enough to roll around on the floor, he always use to pull at my Rolex, sometimes a Sub, SD or GMT. Anyway, I have set aside an F serial SD16600 for him...hopefully I will still be about when he is old enough for me to hand it over to him!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 06:58 AM   #35
autisticlove
"TRF" Member

When my daughter was born, I was wearing a 16570 which I'd purchased in expectation of her birth and likewise purchased an Omega Speedmaster 3594.50 just days prior to my son's few years later. I make certain to wear these watches on 18th and 23rd of each month as a reminder of their birth dates. My daughter is closing in on 6 years old and she's always excited to see her "birthday watch" on my wrist and loves to tell her little brother (now 2.5) that I'm going to wear her watch for 5 days before I wear his. Also enjoyable to see which watch I'm wearing in random photos throughout the year because we all know I only wear two different watches from the 18th - 27th --- After that it's a free for all!
autisticlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:03 AM   #36
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
You are overthinking it. The watch that will mean the most to your son is the watch that he saw you wearing throughout his life. Don't buy the watch that you think he will like, buy the watch that you like. This is the watch that will mean the most to him.
Exactly!

But... "My head says 114060 because it's arguably the most iconic, timeless watch out there. It's versatile - perfect for nearly every occasion."

Don't rule out the more iconic, more timeless, more versatile, more perfect for every occasion, older design of the Sport/Dress watch that is the...

...Datejust

Just because others bang on about dive watches, make up your own mind or be prepared to waste time wearing something you really don't love. Like I did for 4 weeks until I snapped out of the brainwashing.

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote