The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2018, 10:05 PM   #1
bigredgiulio
"TRF" Member

Advice needed! trying to buy a 14060

Hi,

I'm thinking on adding to my watch collection a rolex 14060.
The model I'm looking for is a 14060 Tritium (not Luminova). I'm looking for a tritium model cause it should age better as far as I know.

Is there any particular problem I should be aware of in these models?
I'll be wearing it as my daily watch.. Do you think it's reliable and strong enough?
I'm planning on keeping it for a long time, do you think it's a watch that could hold its value?
What is a fair price for a watch with original set of box and papars? Is it really that important to have original box and papers?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I'm new to this world and any advice is much appreciated!
bigredgiulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 10:12 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Luminova ages better, not necessarily nicer.

Strong and durable, perfect daily wearer.

Nobody has a crystal ball, wrong reason to buy any watch.

Box and papers are a must for me, others don't care. More difficult to sell without if ever you want to.

Buy the nicest one you can find, not the cheapest and buy from a trusted reliable seller and avoid eBay and other platforms.
Old 5 December 2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Speed
"TRF" Member

Please explain why a Tritium model ages better.

You do know that the glow on a Tritium Watch may be little to non existent, right?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 10:37 PM   #4
bigredgiulio
"TRF" Member

thanks a lot!
What do you think the price rage should be for a good watch with box and papers? 6-7K?

I've seen a few 14060 so far, the luminova models looked brighter to me. I kind of like the yellowish colour some tritium models tend to have..
bigredgiulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:44 PM   #5
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

You can color luminova to get that aged yellow color, if that is what you really want. I suspect that as tritium continues to become more and more scarce that yellow/pumpkin look will fade out of fashion or be drowned out by colored luminova patina.

Read up on 14060 models. They transition to 14060M models around 2001 or so and then go from 2 lines to 4 but don't have the non-SEL/SEL or lug holes/no holes issues that other models have. Still, helps to know what you want so you can narrow your search. There are "Swiss" only dials as well. Very complicated for what at first appears to be the same watch made for 20-30 years :P

FWIW I scored a very nice 14060M with a 2 line dial with papers and recent RSC service for just under 7K a few months back. I'd put that at the very high end. No recent RSC service or in a bit more "loved" condition should be in the mid 5 to low 6 range IMHO but I'd factor in a RSC service unless you have a trusted watchmaker that can check out the movement.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote