The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 September 2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Bahnstormer109
"TRF" Member

Luminous hands/ markers ?

Hi all
I have just joined the forum to get a bit of advice. I have always loved the Rolex Oyster its such a classic design and not many good watches suit me because I am pretty skinny and they all seem far too big for my wrist, but the Oyster is just right.

I have seen one for sale that is really perfect -a steel datejust with blue face, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel and roman numerals. This is really the exact spec I would like to have. This would be a big purchase for me and I would want to wear it all the time and for the rest of my life.

This particular watch however does not have any luminous hands or markers. This I think actually looks nicer and "cleaner", but I am wondering if, I would miss the ability to see the time in the cinemas, in a car at night, etc etc??

I have been looking at images of Oysters on google etc and some have luminous and some do not. Is this a choice you make when you order them?

Please let me know if you did or did not choose to have luminous hands and/or markings on your Rolex and why?

Thanks heaps!
Paul.
Australia.
Old 25 September 2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Etudes
"TRF" Member

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum! I'm new to the Rolex world but I understand that Rolex doesn't offer the roman numerals with lume. I recently had to make the same decision. I liked the luminous markers and hands but ultimately was smitten by the look of a datejust with roman numerals (in my case a black dial). Just the same it was a tough decision. I consoled myself with the thought that if I really missed the luminous markers I could have the dial changed out when I take the watch in for it's 5 year service. At this point I don't see myself doing that! Good luck with the decision.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer109 View Post
Hi all
I have just joined the forum to get a bit of advice. I have always loved the Rolex Oyster its such a classic design and not many good watches suit me because I am pretty skinny and they all seem far too big for my wrist, but the Oyster is just right.

I have seen one for sale that is really perfect -a steel datejust with blue face, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel and roman numerals. This is really the exact spec I would like to have. This would be a big purchase for me and I would want to wear it all the time and for the rest of my life.

This particular watch however does not have any luminous hands or markers. This I think actually looks nicer and "cleaner", but I am wondering if, I would miss the ability to see the time in the cinemas, in a car at night, etc etc??

I have been looking at images of Oysters on google etc and some have luminous and some do not. Is this a choice you make when you order them?

Please let me know if you did or did not choose to have luminous hands and/or markings on your Rolex and why?

Thanks heaps!
Paul.
Australia.
Old 25 September 2011, 12:56 PM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Yes as far as I know none of the ones with Roman Numerals have Lume on the Roman Numerals themselves. So if you chose this at the time you purchase you will have barely any lume.

I have a couple of watches like this and it does not bother me in the least, however if it is something you think you will want then you may wwant to chose another option where there is more lume.

I think in the past some ADs actually allowed you to change the dial on the watch up to a certain period after purchasing the watch. Talk to your AD and see if this might be another option for you if you find the no lume option a problem after buying.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 September 2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Lisa
"TRF" Member

It is sad that the Roman numeral dials/hands have no lume. This does bother me - I am nutty about lume, though.

You know, there is a lovely DJ with Arabic numbers that has beautiful lume - the numerals themselves are filled in with it. I think it's available with a blue dial (? Is it, guys?)

Otherwise, if you love lume more than Roman numerals, there are the baton markers that also are lume-filled.
Old 25 September 2011, 01:26 PM   #5
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Lume is totally overated. It rarely ever works more than a minute or two before it wears off. If you check your watch in the middle off the night, the lume will likely be so faint you'll stare at it for a few minutes and still have to take a guess at the time.

It's not needed, especially on a DJ.
Old 25 September 2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Bahnstormer109
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input

I must have the roman numerals, its the only dial I like, so if that comes with no lume I can handle that.

I dont particularly like lume, but just wondering if it would annoy me not seeing the time in the dark.

I only wear a watch to work, I dont even wear a watch on weekends or at night! So if i have survived this long without seeing a watch in the dark I should be ok.

Feel free to add more comments though, I am interested in what people prefer re lume.
Old 25 September 2011, 10:08 PM   #7
cdnands
"TRF" Member

I agree with the last post. I have lume on all my watches and can honestly say I have never needed/relied on it to tell the time at night.
Old 23 September 2017, 11:36 PM   #8
Aces Full
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
I just bought a preowned WG Day Date, with a White Roman dial...so no lume...it bothered me for about 2 minutes...then I looked at the stick indices version, and for me, it was no contest...
As you're making your choice, decide which feature is more important...the Roman Numerals, or the lume. You'll make the right choice.
Closed Thread