The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #1
ekiro
Banned

Rubber B inconsistant fit

Just got my rubber b bracelet and installed it on my 116613lb. It was trickier to install than the original TT bracelet. Unfortunately it caused me to add some scratches to the lugs while doing so... :( But that's no big deal. The problem I have now is that it applies a lot of pressure on the bezel. So when I try to rotate it there is lots of friction. I really have to apply a lot of force to turn it. Is this normal? I suspect my clear caseback may have something to do with it but it is unlikely. I'll try it with the original caseback later today and see how that goes. Anyone had a similar experience?

Old 22 September 2017, 06:03 AM   #2
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
it looks like the straps are thicker and is touching/rubber the bottom of the bezel. That's probably why.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:04 AM   #3
ekiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
it looks like the straps are thicker and is touching/rubber the bottom of the bezel. That's probably why.
Correct. But is it suppose to be like this? Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe they sent me the wrong strap? I would assume it should be a perfect fit.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:23 AM   #4
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiro View Post
Correct. But is it suppose to be like this? Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe they sent me the wrong strap? I would assume it should be a perfect fit.
I, unfortunately, am no help on this since I don't own one.
But, I don't think it will really do any damage to your watch. I think the bezel is harder than rubber straps. The most that will happen is that you scratch and rub off some of the rubber material. I doubt you will be turning the bezel that much to have that happen.
Old 22 September 2017, 07:19 AM   #5
rolexforum73
"TRF" Member

Are you sure the pins are seated well?

Where did you buy the strap from? Heard rumours of rubber B straps being copied now. Whatever next!
Old 22 September 2017, 07:21 AM   #6
ekiro
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure the pins are seated well?

Where did you buy the strap from? Heard rumours of rubber B straps being copied now. Whatever next!
The rubber b website. The pins are in place.
Old 22 September 2017, 07:29 AM   #7
ekiro
Banned

I will get in touch with Rubber B and see if they can send me replacement. Maybe I just got a bad one. I can still turn the bezel but you notice the friction for sure. I really love this bracelet though. The blue is a perfect complement to the bluesy. It's so light you barely feel you're wearing a watch!

Old 22 September 2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Starter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just got my rubber b bracelet and installed it on my 116613lb. It was trickier to install than the original TT bracelet. Unfortunately it caused me to add some scratches to the lugs while doing so... :( But that's no big deal. The problem I have now is that it applies a lot of pressure on the bezel. So when I try to rotate it there is lots of friction. I really have to apply a lot of force to turn it. Is this normal? I suspect my clear caseback may have something to do with it but it is unlikely. I'll try it with the original caseback later today and see how that goes. Anyone had a similar experience?
In my experience, despite their suggestion that they make many different straps for all Rolexes, Rubber B only produces a few straps, and it is much more of a "two or three sizes fit all" deal. For instance, I bought a Rubber B for a 16570 (40mm) Explorer II. It fit that watch just as well as my Supercase SubC, and my new 39mm Explorer. My friend purchased a Rubber B for his Daytona, and comparing his strap to mine, we couldn't find any differences.

I'm unsure why yours doesn't fit your watch properly, but frankly, I can't say I am surprised... While my strap fit all my watches perfectly, the fit on my wrist is less than ideal. I refer to it as my "Harry Potter" strap, as the sizing differences when switching between tang holes simply does not correlate with reality when the actual measurements between the holes are taken into account. The strap is either an inch too big, or an inch too tight, period. Even more insane, this is the case across the spectrum of watches. It holds true when comparing the strap on, say, the SubC and the Daytona. And those are two very different sizes of watch.

Rubber B makes a pretty strap, and I compliment the team on the magical Harry Potter sizing spell they have apparently cast, I just wonder if perhaps a spell that guarantees that the strap never fits, ever, under any conditions, for all time, was the right way to go.

I'm discussing the tang buckle version here, obviously. I don't know what the deal with the OEM clasp version is...
Old 22 September 2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rubber B makes a pretty strap, and I compliment the team on the magical Harry Potter sizing spell they have apparently cast, I just wonder if perhaps a spell that guarantees that the strap never fits, ever, under any conditions, for all time, was the right way to go.
Well, if lots of people are finding that the strap fits well, and you're finding that it doesn't, it's hard not to wonder if the problem is something other than the strap.

Note that the Op isn't having your problem either.

And, yeah, both Rubber B and Everest sell one strap for a variety of different watches. But that shouldn't be a surprise -- the metal bracelets are often interchangeable too. Just look at folks trying to source jubilees for their GMTs.

On topic, my Rubber B fits my GMTc without putting pressure on the bezel, although it's definitely a tight fit and took some effort to put on.
Old 22 September 2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
give them a call. Doesn't look right to me. They should swap that out.
Old 22 September 2017, 10:36 AM   #11
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Had the same issue with a Rubber B for my sub, sold it and got an Everest. No problems.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:07 PM   #12
ekiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT View Post
Had the same issue with a Rubber B for my sub, sold it and got an Everest. No problems.
That's disappointing to hear... makes me think it's part of the rubber b design and that all straps cause friction. I really don't mind it as I rarely rotate the bezel. In fact the friction helps keep it centered and in place. Perhaps it is going to wear in time and become frictionless. We'll see. I emailed Rubber B about it and am waiting for their response.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:13 PM   #13
ekiro
Banned

Is the blue color the same on the Everest bands? From what I see on their website it looks a tad bit darker. I may go ahead and order their band too and keep on of the two that looks and fits best, returning one of them. Quality wise I assume both are equal?
Old 22 September 2017, 12:33 PM   #14
MBYSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Patek
I much prefer the feel and fit of the Everest line of products.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:37 PM   #15
ekiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBYSF View Post
I much prefer the feel and fit of the Everest line of products.
I just ordered the blue Everest band. Apparently they add a tax to their order ($20) so the total was $244, $4 more than the Rubber B. Free USPS priority mail shipping. I will take some side by side photos comparing it to the Rubber B. From what I see on their site it look a little darker in color and different in texture. Looking forward to comparing the two.
Old 22 September 2017, 01:19 PM   #16
MBYSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Patek
Quote:
I just ordered the blue Everest band. Apparently they add a tax to their order ($20) so the total was $244, $4 more than the Rubber B. Free USPS priority mail shipping. I will take some side by side photos comparing it to the Rubber B. From what I see on their site it look a little darker in color and different in texture. Looking forward to comparing the two.

As an owner of both, many times over, Imo the Everest is much more comfortable as well as easier to change in and out.
Old 22 September 2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Seanken
Banned

This maybe sacralige here, but I would take a razor to it until it fitted correctly.
Old 22 September 2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Starter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Well, if lots of people are finding that the strap fits well, and you're finding that it doesn't, it's hard not to wonder if the problem is something other than the strap.
Except lots of people are not. The sizing issue is a really common complaint with Rubber B tang buckle straps. Really common. Do a search on it.
Old 22 September 2017, 05:00 PM   #19
rolexforum73
"TRF" Member

Interesting to read this. I have a red rubber B on my deep sea and it fits the watch perfectly and my wrist perfectly. I wasn't aware of fit/sizing issues. To the OP, yes I'd just get it returned and see how the next one fits. I'm sure as you say you just got a bad one.
Old 22 September 2017, 07:03 PM   #20
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I had exactly the same problem, I can't help though as i just put the bracelet on and forgot about the rubber, I have heard you can file the rubber down though to her desired fit.
Old 22 September 2017, 07:36 PM   #21
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Hi guys, does anyone use the rubberB strap with the OEM oyster clasp? I'm planning to do that for my BLNR when I pick it up, just wanted to know if it's the same for this buckle type? Also for those who have experienced both is there really so much for a difference between Everest and RubberB?
Old 22 September 2017, 08:34 PM   #22
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
Except lots of people are not. The sizing issue is a really common complaint with Rubber B tang buckle straps. Really common. Do a search on it.
Yes based on my own research the Everest has more adjustment holes leading to a better fit than the RubberB
Old 22 September 2017, 09:22 PM   #23
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post

Are you saying there are common complaints about the fit of the strap to the case or the sizing on the wrist due to the number of holes?.

Two entirely different things

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 22 September 2017, 11:38 PM   #24
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
That looks horrible , seriously toss it in the garbage
Old 23 September 2017, 01:55 AM   #25
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
return it. keeping it on would make me feel that the friction will eventually cause some sort of damage
Old 23 September 2017, 02:00 AM   #26
ekiro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
That looks horrible , seriously toss it in the garbage
lol. no. waiting for the everast strap to get here and then i'll return the one i like least. will post a side by side comparison review with photos before i do so.
Old 23 September 2017, 03:09 AM   #27
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Try contacting Rubber B and see what they say. Mine sits perfectly flush and does not affect bezel rotation at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 September 2017, 03:24 AM   #28
tgibbs
"TRF" Member

I must say, I do not have any issue with the Rubber B even touching under my Datejust 2 bezel. This RB strap is the best risk I ever took... it fits like a dream, and is very comfortable. I was immediately excited there is a luxury swiss company making straps for Rolex. I got my first "B" about 7 years ago for a Daytona and people used to be shocked to see it on rubber. Now years later, I got my most recent Rubber B strap from a Rolex AD shop (traveling in Italy Pisa). Imagine that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibbs goody copy.jpg (74.8 KB, 429 views)
Old 23 September 2017, 03:51 AM   #29
lopez784
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Misinformed

Quote:
That's disappointing to hear... makes me think it's part of the rubber b design and that all straps cause friction. I really don't mind it as I rarely rotate the bezel. In fact the friction helps keep it centered and in place. Perhaps it is going to wear in time and become frictionless. We'll see. I emailed Rubber B about it and am waiting for their response.

Absolutely not true. I have had several Rubber B straps and they have never had issues. Totally professional. Its definitely your caseback modification. Those straps are specifically sized, so even the most minute mod changes the fit. Your strap looks like its riding up. Check out social media posts #rubberb. You'll see thats not usual...
Old 23 September 2017, 04:06 AM   #30
timmytimng
"TRF" Member

I can tell you right now that the blue rubber is raised up higher than the lugs. That is not a Rubber B calibration. Did you buy it from their site? Or is it possible replica?

This is good review for you:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=557093

This thread has also a good look at both: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=542951&page=4
Closed Thread