The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 July 2009, 03:43 PM   #31
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagni View Post
For those who have a watch collection, would you sell some your watches to obtain your present grail, saying that you haven't done so yet? I'm itching to sell some in my collection to obtain the day-date II in platinum with the glacier blue dial. I can't seem to get that watch out of my mine I have to say there are reasons for me to rethink this plus it would require additional funds to aquire it:
- Sea-Dweller (high probability that they will not make this model any more)
- TT GMTc (pre-owned model has depreciated greatly)
- TT Date-just solid jubilee bracelet with fluted bezel (pre-owned model has depreciated greatly)

Maybe it is more fun to save up and retain the rest to wear a different day of the week. Your thoughts?

Dont do it!!! Every Rolex I have sold I have always regreted!!(Yet I still do it) Most recent was my "Z" Sea Dweller.....
Save the money,buy the Plat DD,and keep your collection....Even if it takes a couple of years to aquire!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 03:48 PM   #32
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I sold a number of watches to buy my current Rolex.

Never a regret.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 03:51 PM   #33
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz93c View Post
I sold a number of watches to buy my current Rolex.

Never a regret.

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 03:52 PM   #34
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
You guys are confusing me.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 05:52 PM   #35
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWATCH View Post
Every now and then for a second or two the thought does cross my mind, however when i open the drawer and look at all my babies looking back up at me i just could not do it

al
I'm with you on this one! Many a time I've thought of selling 3-4 watches to buy my grail watch, which is either the meteorite Daytona or yellow gold Blue Sub, but each time I just can't bring myself to do it. I just can't do without the variety, I guess.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 10:04 PM   #36
jets
"TRF" Member

These are problems I like hearing about!!! I've tried on that very watch and it feels substantial in the wrist let me tell you.

The only real negative to this is you will lose some variety which is nice when you get dressed and think about what you want to wear that day for example. However, I think trimming the collection for the good of the collection is good too. I'd probably let go of the TT GMTc, Daytona, and either the Pan or Cartier. Reason being you'll still have a SD which R no make no more and its NICE and this way you still have a TT to work with (DJ). Besides, a man always needs a sub or SD in the treasure chest. Daytona you can always get again because they're not going anywhere and ppl will pay for it and finally selling the DJ just won't fetch a good buck IMO. Then add some moolah and there you go.

In the end it's your call
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2009, 10:20 PM   #37
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The ones I have now are my grails and never thought I'd be lucky enough to even own these. Plus they have the variety I enjoy.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 12:17 AM   #38
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The ones I have now are my grails and never thought I'd be lucky enough to even own these. Plus they have the variety I enjoy.
dP

That is such a true statement. Watches I've own has always been those that I wanted at one time or another....and still do.
emagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 01:11 AM   #39
emagni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
These are problems I like hearing about!!! I've tried on that very watch and it feels substantial in the wrist let me tell you.

The only real negative to this is you will lose some variety which is nice when you get dressed and think about what you want to wear that day for example. However, I think trimming the collection for the good of the collection is good too. I'd probably let go of the TT GMTc, Daytona, and either the Pan or Cartier. Reason being you'll still have a SD which R no make no more and its NICE and this way you still have a TT to work with (DJ). Besides, a man always needs a sub or SD in the treasure chest. Daytona you can always get again because they're not going anywhere and ppl will pay for it and finally selling the DJ just won't fetch a good buck IMO. Then add some moolah and there you go.

In the end it's your call
What a great issue to have don't you think? It's always bitter sweet to shed and grow your collection. Something to always look forward to. Balancing financial responsibility with what we really want in life. At first it was the Daytona and then it was the 18kt Gold GMT IIc. Now, it's the Platinum Day-Date II. I thought I've reached the pinnacle with each watch, but I always find something else I want....which is a good thing.
Old 1 August 2009, 01:28 AM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I am still thinking about selling my no date Sub and adding those funds to my cash to get either a Milgauss or a GMT IIc.

I still cannot bring myself to part with my Sub, even for one of these two.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 01:45 AM   #41
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
a friend of mine told me once that you should never sell your watches...I wish I would have listened to him...
Ranfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2009, 04:03 AM   #42
DadsWatch72
Banned

The platty with the ice blue is another example of Rolex producing an extreme watch. This model doesn't go to the bottom of the ocean or mack 10, but it does go to the top in regards to precious metals. Platinum is more precious than gold. Its unique.
Old 1 August 2009, 06:12 AM   #43
emagni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
The platty with the ice blue is another example of Rolex producing an extreme watch. This model doesn't go to the bottom of the ocean or mack 10, but it does go to the top in regards to precious metals. Platinum is more precious than gold. Its unique.
It is definite more jewelry than watch. How many people here feel like they should have waited and save up for their ultimate grail if they had to do it all over again?
Old 1 August 2009, 07:03 AM   #44
DadsWatch72
Banned

I honestly didn't know my watch was a "grail" watch until I looked it up online a few days before I joined this forum. I have had the watch since 1993 and have been wearing it throughout that time. I almost lost it once while on a JetSki. I made a sharp turn and flew off. As soon as I hit the water the watch flew off my wrist since the clasp is worn. In a split second I reached out and swept my arm through the water. It was pure luck but I got it. I would have never found it since the lake was a muddy mess. This was Lake Fort Phantom near Abilene Texas. There is a tale of a ghost that is said to haunt the lake area. Here is a link.

http://www.sgha.net/tx/abilene/ftphantominvest1.html
Old 1 August 2009, 08:52 AM   #45
emagni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John685 View Post
I did just that Emagni. The YG DD was my grail and I decided to part with both of my DJ's. I sold one and bought the DD about a year ago, thinking I might want the other DJ as a rotation. I have worn the DD ever since and haven't been tempted to switch with the DJ. Therefore, the other DJ will be up for sale soon.
Totally understand where you are coming from, bought my 18kt gold gmt IIc and haven't worn my DJ as much.
Old 1 August 2009, 01:13 PM   #46
emagni
"TRF" Member

So folks, looks like I pretty much made up my mind. Going to keep all of my babies and wait to buy a pre-owned Platinum Day Date II when they come up. Hopefully it will be in the mid to lower $20ks by then. That way I don't have to worry about the spread as much from $33k - $34k. Wish me good luck and lots of patience.