The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 July 2021, 10:40 PM   #91
JackGale
"TRF" Member

Reading this thread struck a chord with me. I have worn my father's 1960 YG DD daily since 1985 when he passed it along to me. He wore it from 1960 through 1985. Every time I put it on in the morning, I think of him and what a remarkable man he was and remains. The watch is a daily reminder of him and the life we shared. It tells me far more than the time, date and day of the month. Truly sorry for your loss...
JackGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2021, 05:42 AM   #92
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Nice story, but I can't help but complain about every time seeing how the Photobucket watermarks practically making photos almost unusable. Just my rant.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 11:20 PM   #93
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamcoxon View Post
Do you remember your first time?

The first time you became seriously interested in watches? I do.

August 1978, I was 9 years old and I was in Mappin & Webb in London with my Dad (and the rest of the family) as he poured over a Rolex Submariner.

Dad had been in the RAF, a lot of his colleagues took overseas postings and when they returned, many of them had taken advantage of duty free sales and brought a Rolex back with them. He didn't take a posting abroad, preferring to stay in the UK and be near his family. He always said, the minute he could afford one, he'd buy one.

So, fast forward to 1978 and he's stood in the AD deliberating over what was probably the largest purchase he'd ever made after buying a house! Eagerly egged on by his two sons, the sale was made.

I remember being in the back of his Cortina on the way from London and him letting me hold the watch. It felt like the most precious thing I'd ever held. From that minute on, I was hooked.

The Sub was followed by a Brietling, but for me there was only one watch. As I got older my interest in watches turned into buying. Omega, Brietling and Panerais followed, but I always stayed away from Rolex, the reason being that Dad had told me that the Sub was left to me in his will. Buying a Rolex (and God forbid a Submariner) felt a little disrespectful. Earlier on this year I spoke to him about buying a polar 216570 but explained my caution. He thought I was daft and told me to get on with it.

Two weeks later I took the Explorer to show him, he was impressed. But as much as I love the 42mm case, when he passed me his Sub, I knew it still came in 2nd place!

So, why the reluctant post? Three weeks ago my Dad passed away and not wanting to go into the gritty details of his passing, you can see why I'm making this post. Last week I went to see my Mum, she asked if I was ready to take the watch. It felt really strange putting it on my wrist, despite the fact I'd tried it on probably hundreds of times over the previous 35 years. This time it was for good.

I'm now the proud(est) owner of a Rolex Submariner 1680.

I guess you'd like some pics, my photography skills are non existent, so bear with me!

When I look at this watch on my wrist, it reminds me about a lot of things I admired in my Dad, hard work and determination to name just two.

There's a little bit more to this story. A few months after getting the watch, he noticed it was keeping terrible time (I can't remember the exact details), the watch was taken into the local Mappin & Webb (Harrogate) and sent to Rolex for a FOC service. Dad was far from pleased at losing the watch for six weeks so soon into his ownership. When the watch was returned, it's time keeping was just as bad and Rolex agreed to exchange it for a stock model from Harrogate.

I mentioned this story to Dad only a couple of years ago as I seemed to recall that the replacement watch was different to the original one. I had the thought that the first watch was a 5513. My Dad turned to me and said no, the original was a date model (he loved his watches, but didn't have a WIS level of interest), but the only difference was some red writing on the face! I think my look may have given something away, but I didn't say anything as Red or White is of no relevance to me, truly for me, this watch is one of a kind.

RIP Noble Ramsay Coxon (My Dad)
thanks for sharing and my deepest condolences. i would say that is now one very special sub, enjoy it.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote