The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2021, 09:55 AM   #31
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
True, and buying higher than msrp.
have to say you’re incorrect there. I buy everything over list price as I can’t get a foot in the door with an AD (nor do I have the patience). Over the last couple years these have only continued to rise and I have some pretty astounding offers on my platinum Daytona for example as of late when I’ve tested the waters.

I tend to see it more as buying from an AD is buying with a discount.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 01:05 PM   #32
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Rolex not losing value is a relatively recent phenomenom. Even back before 2015, when they were still a covetted luxury watch featured in rap songs, worn by famous golfers etc.
I picked up my first 5 digit sub for $4800 ( sold it for $5000 9 months later), and passed on a white gold 116509 Daytona at $14000 back then.
Discounting played a part too- Most were not paying anything like full boutique retail price- and this was reflected in the secondary market value- ie- My IWC 3799 had an MSRP of $10,200. I was offered it at $7400 from an AD - Pre owned price from WatchuWant was $5700- so $5700 as a % of $10,200 looks like a massive drop.... I recently sold it on eBay for $5900. So if you buy a pre owned watch with due diligence you may lose a couple of hundred or gain a couple.
Old 10 July 2021, 01:22 PM   #33
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
How many things are there in this world that you can buy and not have it lose value?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 01:30 PM   #34
Mifune
Banned

has anyone noticed the softening of some of the pricing of the allocation models from a year or two ago... the NEW prices are still quite outrageous, but I have seen some of the pre 2020 pieces going down
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:19 PM   #35
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardNorton1963 View Post
I have always been a fan of luxury watches but that was because I enjoyed them for the regular reasons... I have been lookig through my my collection and have realised some of my watches have lost value throughout time. I am curious what you think makes watches deppreciate?

I totally understand that that the brand matter heavily, but what other factors do you think really effect the price over time? I have read from https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ose-value.html that condition, market rarity, trends. condition and even the movement. At first this makes complete sense, but can you really predict or even control any of those factors? As purely an aethetic buyer that is interested in the investment side of watches, I am trying my best to learn more about investment pieces, and what made some of my watches lose so much value!

Let me know your thoughts, and maybe even how you prepare for your next investment piece?
Very hard to impossible to predict future market prices. I believe it’s wise not to consider watches “investment pieces”.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 10:19 PM   #36
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
One thing, lack of demand.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luxury watches , rolex