The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 July 2021, 06:34 PM   #1
fdmdb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Unknown 70s GP
Advice on Rolex Bubbleback 3372

Dear all,

I am new around here and this is my first post.
I am a 28yo guy very interested in antique & vintage stuff in general and got hooked on the bubblebacks. My close friends & family do not have this passion so I am coming here seeking some guidance and opinions :)

In the hunt of my very first vintage watch, I came by a 3372 from 1945 in a professional vintage watch store. Please see pictures enclosed. It has this champagne dial and a combination of pink gold and steel which the seller tells me is quite rare.

It comes with a 1 year guarantee, and the seller ensures me the dial, hands, parts, crown etc are 100% authentic and original. Price is negotiated to 3500euros.

However after the few research I made, I realized one can never be too careful when it comes to authenticity of a vintage watch.

Two things are in my mind at the moment:
- the absence of "Swiss" or "Swiss made" mentions. When it comes to this, I see a lot of conflicting opinions. Some are saying that it automatically means redial when some others point out original Rolex of this era do sometimes come without the mark.

- the hands: minute hand seems to extend a tiny bit farther than the tracking line. Besides, it seems the luminous material is gone.

Anything else that I might have missed? I am looking forward to your opinions on this watch! (and by asking, I mean of course no offense to the seller.)

Thanks in advance!
fdmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:13 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

There are quite a few things which are inconsistent with this watch, and although there will be many different opinions, I doubt if anyone can give you a definitive answer.

Firstly, the context of the seller's comments that this is 100% authentic and original needs some explanation. Unless he has personally known this watch since 1945 and has seen it regularly, he cannot be absolutely sure of those comments and so they should be treated as his opinion, not fact. His opinion will be the one which generates the most money and so it is almost inevitable that he, and other sellers, will say it is is all original, etc. when in reality they do not know.

Looking at the details of these 75 to 80 year old watches isn't going to give definitive answers easily as there were so many variations of dials, hands, bezels, etc. that there isn't a clear answer as to what a 1945 Rolex 3372 should look like.

However, there are some issues on this watch that need further examination:

1. As noted, the lack of Swiss or Swiss Made on the dial might indicate a repainted dial.
2. The Officially Certified Chronometer markings on the dial are not to be expected on a gold and stainless 3372 from 1945.
3. The dial might have come from another watch, maybe an all gold later model.
4. The hands might have come from another watch and have had the second hand cut down.
5. There are signs of some machining marks on the lugs of the case, but these are probably not original.
6. There are no details left of the concentric circles on the bezel, so this has been polished many times.

When all this is considered, there isn't one thing you can point to that is wrong, it's just that the overall pattern of wear and aging isn't consistent with a watch of this age, and so it is wise to be suspicious of any claims about it being all original, etc.

In the end though it all depends on whether you like this particular combination of parts and feel that the price is reasonable considering there will always be some doubt about the originality of certain features.

There are still a lot of 3372 and similar watches around and so it is not too difficult to find other examples, some of which seem to be a more attractive proposition than this one.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 09:31 AM   #3
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Way too much money.

I agree with everything CTech has said above.

There is too much going against that particular watch to start with...then the price for what it is is exorbitant.

I can point you to a good many better examples of the same watch for the same or less money on any given day probably.

Nothing I find right this second but for that money you can find something that ticks a LOT more boxes.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 02:46 AM   #4
fdmdb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Unknown 70s GP
Thank you for your answers, it really helps.

I am then passing on this one and will be looking for a model that makes more sense and in better shape.

In the meantime I made further research on the Swiss and Swiss Made concern. I found in a the book "The Best of Time Rolex Wristwatches" referencing various BB models that some dials do lack the mention.

Hunting for a bubble back, I check mostly Chrono24, would you recommend somewhere else to look for one? Maybe some reputable sellers specialized in this model?
fdmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:25 AM   #5
CTech
"TRF" Member

R.W.T. is one of the very few people around who understand this age of Rolex and he has suggested above that he could help you find a good example, but it might take a little time.

He is very well respected here for his expertise in identifying, servicing and repairing these types of 75 to 80 year old watches so I would contact him and see what he could do to help you in your search.

You'll have to deal with shipping, import duties, etc. but in my opinion it would be worth it as you will almost certainly get a better watch than you could find through general dealers who don't have sufficient knowledge and experience to guide you through this potential minefield.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote