The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #1
canadawatchguy
"TRF" Member

Lange Datograph 39mm Question

Hello all,

Wanted to get some help with the original 39mm Lange Datographs, in platinum (403.035) and rose gold (403.032), one of my absolute grail watches.

I am looking to purchase one in the near term (<12 months) to commemorate launching a new business and the birth of my first child.

My wrist is exactly 6.5 inches and I have no other gold or platinum watches in my collection, nor any dress-ish watches. I have not tried on either of these watches yet but plan to do so at some point.

For those that have owned/currently owned the pieces (and bonus points if you could also provide answers relative to the current 41mm up/down datographs), I have a few questions:

1) I have heard that the platinum watch is very top heavy due to the platinum and on a smaller wrist, flops around. Can anyone talk about this? It seems to have the exact same dimensions as a 114060 no date submariner to a tee (weight within a few grams, lug to lug within ~1mm, height within 0.5mm), which fits great on my wrist.

2) Rose gold or platinum? I'm leaning towards platinum solely because it is the original version which, down the road, may make it much more collectible and unique. Looks wise, I'm really indifferent. However, it does cost ~10K more than the rose gold. Any thoughts on plat vs. rose gold or is it just personal preference?

3) Does anyone have photos of either the old 39mm datographs or the 41mm new ones on a ~6.5 inch wrist?

4) Anything else I should know as I seek out one of my grails?

Thank you for your help!
canadawatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:19 AM   #2
shafran
"TRF" Member

I had the rose gold and found it wore better on the deployant. It is thick for its size but an amazing watch. I now have the platinum dato perpetual and like the size better for me. I have a 7in wrist
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

6.25 inch wrist, the Up/Down was honestly a little too big for me. I started out searching for the original but over time I just thought the Up/Down was more contemporary in its look and was a better match for me personally.

Re the metal choice, the platinum is obviously more versatile and wearable for most people and that was the case for me too.

Good luck with your search. It’s a watch worth putting some energy and effort towards.

Whether it’ll be what you expect once you get it that’s never certain. But there’s only one way to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:16 AM   #4
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Lange
I have the 41mm Up/Down in Platinum. 6.75" wrist. The size is perfect for me. Platinum all the way imo. Much more versatile and under the radar.
ramonesf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:46 AM   #5
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawatchguy View Post
Hello all,

Wanted to get some help with the original 39mm Lange Datographs, in platinum (403.035) and rose gold (403.032), one of my absolute grail watches.

I am looking to purchase one in the near term (&lt;12 months) to commemorate launching a new business and the birth of my first child.

My wrist is exactly 6.5 inches and I have no other gold or platinum watches in my collection, nor any dress-ish watches. I have not tried on either of these watches yet but plan to do so at some point.

For those that have owned/currently owned the pieces (and bonus points if you could also provide answers relative to the current 41mm up/down datographs), I have a few questions:

1) I have heard that the platinum watch is very top heavy due to the platinum and on a smaller wrist, flops around. Can anyone talk about this? It seems to have the exact same dimensions as a 114060 no date submariner to a tee (weight within a few grams, lug to lug within ~1mm, height within 0.5mm), which fits great on my wrist.

2) Rose gold or platinum? I'm leaning towards platinum solely because it is the original version which, down the road, may make it much more collectible and unique. Looks wise, I'm really indifferent. However, it does cost ~10K more than the rose gold. Any thoughts on plat vs. rose gold or is it just personal preference?

3) Does anyone have photos of either the old 39mm datographs or the 41mm new ones on a ~6.5 inch wrist?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings! The short asnswer Is I went for the 403 Platinum about a couple months ago and I have closer to 7” wrist now; used to be 6.75. LOL.

If the 41mm was similar in price than the 39mm I prolly would have went down that route since I like bigger watches and I like longer power reserves (who doesn’t!!) and I really like PR indicators and the fact that it’s newer may in theory mean you have to service it less etc.

However, as you know there is a real price difference; so didn’t consider it too seriously and thought that I could spend that delta on another watch.

Since I had never worn either nor seen either before I purchased the 403; what really blew me away was how nice the dial was with the gold applied Roman numerals! Very sparkly!!! I already knew I was going to be impressed by the movement, so in that sense it was less of a surprise relative to my expectations. Also many collectors prefer the OG vs the new but I am guessing part of it is that many like smaller dress watches.

I went with the white metal (would have been totally happy with WG if it existed) since I thought it would be more versatile and under the radar.

Like Jay mentioned you won’t know about fitment until you try. Others try on a deployant to counterweight the watch head. I am wearing with the OEM pin buckle and am NOT between holes. If you are in-between holes on the strap you could find yourself with the watch head too loose and find it annoying due to the weight if it slid along your arm. Mine felt good.

The pt weighs 145g, so if you have other watches and a scale atleast you will have a good idea of the relative weight.

Good luck!

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 06:26 PM   #6
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawatchguy View Post
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase one in the near term (<12 months) to commemorate launching a new business and the birth of my first child.

Thank you for your help!
I had the Rose gold 39mm Datograph, bought second hand for an incredible price of 28.000EUR if I remember correct. It is an absolutely stunning watch, the applied numerals and other details of the dial is second to none. Movement was spectacular to just sit and watch with a loupe. The click feeling on the pushers was perfect.

However, I also have a 6,5" wrist and although it looked good and fit well if I had the strap very snug it was never comfortable. The proportions were off in some way. The area it sits on your wrist is smal due to the protruding display case back. If you have it looser it will flopp around. Not just sideways but also up and down. I did not have the deployant buckle but I've heard those are not comfortable for small wrists as it goes on one side, at least the old heavy version.

From the platinum or rose gold, either one is great. I think the platinum is more casual and sporty and maybe can be matched easier dress wise. I have a Daymatic 39,5mm in Pt and that one sit closer to the wrist making it more comfortable, lower stance if that makes sense.

Before you buy, do also consider 1815 Chronograph which has same movement and is more wearable.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 09:27 PM   #7
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I did not have the deployant buckle but I've heard those are not comfortable for small wrists as it goes on one side, at least the old heavy version.
I have a 7 inch wrist and initially got the older "single fold" deployant clasp for my 1815 Chronograph. In the end I had to swap that to the newer double fold ("butterfly") deployant clasp due to comfort and the fact that the single fold sprung up whenever I clapped my hands. Very happy with the (newer) double fold claps and would recommend it to anyone considering upgrading their Lange to a deployant clasp.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:33 PM   #8
canadawatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
6.25 inch wrist, the Up/Down was honestly a little too big for me. I started out searching for the original but over time I just thought the Up/Down was more contemporary in its look and was a better match for me personally.

Re the metal choice, the platinum is obviously more versatile and wearable for most people and that was the case for me too.

Good luck with your search. It’s a watch worth putting some energy and effort towards.

Whether it’ll be what you expect once you get it that’s never certain. But there’s only one way to find out.

Wow this looks amazing, on a 6.25' wrist, that doesn't look big at all in my opinion, gives me hope for the up/down too. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesf2 View Post
I have the 41mm Up/Down in Platinum. 6.75" wrist. The size is perfect for me. Platinum all the way imo. Much more versatile and under the radar.
I'll check out the 41mm, but I am leaning towards platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Greetings! The short asnswer Is I went for the 403 Platinum about a couple months ago and I have closer to 7” wrist now; used to be 6.75. LOL.

If the 41mm was similar in price than the 39mm I prolly would have went down that route since I like bigger watches and I like longer power reserves (who doesn’t!!) and I really like PR indicators and the fact that it’s newer may in theory mean you have to service it less etc.

However, as you know there is a real price difference; so didn’t consider it too seriously and thought that I could spend that delta on another watch.

Since I had never worn either nor seen either before I purchased the 403; what really blew me away was how nice the dial was with the gold applied Roman numerals! Very sparkly!!! I already knew I was going to be impressed by the movement, so in that sense it was less of a surprise relative to my expectations. Also many collectors prefer the OG vs the new but I am guessing part of it is that many like smaller dress watches.

I went with the white metal (would have been totally happy with WG if it existed) since I thought it would be more versatile and under the radar.

Like Jay mentioned you won’t know about fitment until you try. Others try on a deployant to counterweight the watch head. I am wearing with the OEM pin buckle and am NOT between holes. If you are in-between holes on the strap you could find yourself with the watch head too loose and find it annoying due to the weight if it slid along your arm. Mine felt good.

The pt weighs 145g, so if you have other watches and a scale atleast you will have a good idea of the relative weight.

Good luck!

Extremely helpful, and I wish I could up my wrist size haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
I had the Rose gold 39mm Datograph, bought second hand for an incredible price of 28.000EUR if I remember correct. It is an absolutely stunning watch, the applied numerals and other details of the dial is second to none. Movement was spectacular to just sit and watch with a loupe. The click feeling on the pushers was perfect.

However, I also have a 6,5" wrist and although it looked good and fit well if I had the strap very snug it was never comfortable. The proportions were off in some way. The area it sits on your wrist is smal due to the protruding display case back. If you have it looser it will flopp around. Not just sideways but also up and down. I did not have the deployant buckle but I've heard those are not comfortable for small wrists as it goes on one side, at least the old heavy version.

From the platinum or rose gold, either one is great. I think the platinum is more casual and sporty and maybe can be matched easier dress wise. I have a Daymatic 39,5mm in Pt and that one sit closer to the wrist making it more comfortable, lower stance if that makes sense.

Before you buy, do also consider 1815 Chronograph which has same movement and is more wearable.
I've heard about the fit from a few other forums, this is a very helpful write up. I totally get your point around the area that it sits on the wrist. Would it be comparable almost like to a submariner 114060? I agree re: platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
I have a 7 inch wrist and initially got the older "single fold" deployant clasp for my 1815 Chronograph. In the end I had to swap that to the newer double fold ("butterfly") deployant clasp due to comfort and the fact that the single fold sprung up whenever I clapped my hands. Very happy with the (newer) double fold claps and would recommend it to anyone considering upgrading their Lange to a deployant clasp.
Will definitely look into that, thank you
canadawatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 03:55 AM   #9
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I purchased the Datograph UP/Down and I have a 6.4 in wrist. I love it. I almost always go with steel, titanium, platinum or white gold in that order if possible but I loved the contrast and look of the rose gold over the platinum. I generally like the tang buckle and purchased an OEM buckle but was surprised the deployment buckle worked well with the datograph.

I also own the platinum double split chrono on a tang buckle and the 1815 rattrapante perpetual calendar in platinum on deployment.. They all wear well.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote