The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 October 2020, 09:37 PM   #1
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The Unloved (Journe)

In my time following Journe there have been many pieces which I didn’t “get” at first, not so much the technical aspects but rather the aesthetic.

What has been interesting to me is that over the course of several years and with more exposure most of these references have become the watches I love.

Here’s one example. I remember when it was launched (the Aluminum, and then the Titanium). I thought it was the ugliest high end watch I’d ever seen.

Full circle at this point and have been a happy owner for a while.

I see this now as one of the best sports watches available (or at least I did until the revamp and upsize in case diameter). It has also become the Journe I wear most regularly.

Who else now has an previously unloved Journe on their wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:06 PM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I wish a had an unloved Journe
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:10 PM   #3
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Wow that’s a really cool watch!

Old 27 October 2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Hank
"TRF" Member

Sweet looking watch! Sporty yet sophisticated.

Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I wish a had an unloved Journe

Fair. These days “unloved” doesn’t seem to be so appropriate but not so long ago “unloved” also meant significant discounts from list price.

Even the CB was relatively “unloved” 5 years ago.

Old 27 October 2020, 10:38 PM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Sweet looking watch! Sporty yet sophisticated.

Sporty. Bracelet. Chronograph.

And most importantly for a sports watch super light; 70g or so, half the weight of the steel Daytona.

Makes it a very comfortable watch to wear.

Old 27 October 2020, 11:10 PM   #7
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Fair. These days “unloved” doesn’t seem to be so appropriate but not so long ago “unloved” also meant significant discounts from list price.

Even the CB was relatively “unloved” 5 years ago.

Yes I agree, FPJ makes great watches
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 11:49 PM   #8
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Jay - You’ve got the best version of the Centigraphe IMO. The first generation aluminum has its issues and I don’t appreciate the aesthetic of the indexed bezel of the later versions. The titanium version with the rounded bezel is the sweet spot. I also prefer the rubber accents. I only wish I would have pulled the trigger on one of these a couple years ago when the prices were still within reason. You did well by recognizing this watch for what it was and picking it up at the right time. Enjoy it, my friend! It looks great on your wrist!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 11:55 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I love it!

Yet if you find it unloved and need my mailing address to send it to me as a gift....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:34 AM   #10
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Are they all 44mm?

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:43 AM   #11
vtsakiris
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126300
Happy that you love your watch...
BUT
Was and still is ugly!
Old 28 October 2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsakiris View Post
Happy that you love your watch...
BUT
Was and still is ugly!
Yeah. I was with you on that for several years. Ugliest watch in the collection by far...but then I came around to it (thankfully before the recent silliness of over inflated prices and FOMO).
Old 28 October 2020, 07:44 AM   #13
vtsakiris
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126300
Quote:
Yeah. I was with you on that for several years. Ugliest watch in the collection by far...but then I came around to it (thankfully before the recent silliness of over inflated prices and FOMO).
That is a GREAT outcome!
Old 28 October 2020, 07:45 AM   #14
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
Are they all 44mm?

This is 42mm.

New LineSport collection is all 44mm. They do all wear small due to the lack of lugs / integrated bracelet. Big dials, yes, but less of the overhang one would normally see with larger watches on smaller wrists.
Old 28 October 2020, 07:46 AM   #15
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I love it!

Yet if you find it unloved and need my mailing address to send it to me as a gift....
Not “unloved” anymore, by me at least.
Old 28 October 2020, 07:50 AM   #16
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Jay - You’ve got the best version of the Centigraphe IMO. The first generation aluminum has its issues and I don’t appreciate the aesthetic of the indexed bezel of the later versions. The titanium version with the rounded bezel is the sweet spot. I also prefer the rubber accents. I only wish I would have pulled the trigger on one of these a couple years ago when the prices were still within reason. You did well by recognizing this watch for what it was and picking it up at the right time. Enjoy it, my friend! It looks great on your wrist!
Cheers Bill. Happy to have come around to it before the recent craziness. I was on the fence between it and the Aluminum. There was 2-3k difference in price at the time (aluminum being more) and the back and forth was collectabilty versus everyday wearability. My thoughts then, and still, is that the Aluminum is the collector watch, but for me at least the Titanium was always more wearable day to day.

It’s not ideal where we have gone re pricing. While I can’t argue against some element of Journe being undervalued and a certain amount of appreciation in g merited, we have long passed any reasonableness.
Old 28 October 2020, 09:35 AM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great watch that I really liked when it first came out. Wish I'd picked one up back then.
I guess some saw it as a departure from the FPJ design language, hence the negative reactions.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Great watch that I really liked when it first came out. Wish I'd picked one up back then.
I guess some saw it as a departure from the FPJ design language, hence the negative reactions.
For sure Clive it was a departure. But it was still very much a Journe (inside and out).
Old 28 October 2020, 01:29 PM   #19
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Love the centrigraphe! And it’s best that you snapped out of your stupor before this big bull run. I will keep an eye on Journe and many of his whimsical designs

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:47 PM   #20
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
I love the centigraphe and I think this makes a great sports watch!!!!!!
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 09:51 PM   #21
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Cheers Bill. Happy to have come around to it before the recent craziness. I was on the fence between it and the Aluminum. There was 2-3k difference in price at the time (aluminum being more) and the back and forth was collectabilty versus everyday wearability. My thoughts then, and still, is that the Aluminum is the collector watch, but for me at least the Titanium was always more wearable day to day.

It’s not ideal where we have gone re pricing. While I can’t argue against some element of Journe being undervalued and a certain amount of appreciation in g merited, we have long passed any reasonableness.
Hey Jay, I'm with you. I love your watch, even if previously unloved. It's funny, 90% of the lineup used to be "unloved." It was basically the CB and Resonance, and the Optimum and Centigraphe also had a nice, but smaller, following. All the sports stuff, the Elegante, and the rest of the line were all well below retail and "unloved." Recall the days of Lune's at sub 30K and a Resonance for 55K? Now the Lune's are 70-80K and the Resonance are 150K+. And that is assuming it doesn't have a black dial. If it has a black dial, forget it.

I do believe the watches were supremely undervalued 18 months ago, but they have gone up so far, so fast, that it has me wondering if we have wrung all of the value out and are now getting speculative. And I say that as a MEGA fan of the brand. It's a shame that almost everything is out of reach of the normal collector now. And if you don't have a good in with a boutique already, you are on the outside looking in in a major way. Hard brand to "break into" now. Waiting lists for everything.

I of course have mixed feeling on all of this. On the one hand I am super happy that what I believe are the finest watches on the planet (in their segment) are finally getting their due. On the other, when I was charting out my "collection journey" with FPJ a couple years ago everything was possible. I recall thinking I would one day add an Aluminum ARS (sub 30K at the time), a brass RDM (sub 40K at the time), and a Resonance (50ish at the time). Now, none of those will ever happen (well Resonance might, at retail one day, thank God I was buying before the craze started so I do have that solid boutique relationship), even if I had the money. I just believe for the most part the many of the watches are at the extreme end of their value proposition now (speaking mostly on discontinued models + CB). More than I would want to pay at least.

Still, FPJ is making great modern pieces as well, and the entire range is great value if you know the boutique well or can get a strong referral from someone who does. So that is where my focus is at. Try to pick off current epic pieces as I can. Let the truly wealthy folks play in the brass and ruthenium and discontinued waters.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote