The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 October 2020, 04:38 AM   #1
aj_tucker
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New York
Watch: Daytona 116500
Posts: 94
5170p vs. 5170g

Hi all,

I'm debating between two 5170s; the P ($85kUSD) and the white-dialed G ($45k). I've been drooling over the P for months and have heard the impassioned pleas of contributors here that the P is the end all, be all of the 5170. I finally saw them both side-by-side at Michael Ashton in NYC yesterday. But, the closer I get to pulling the trigger, I'm leaning G...Here's some rationale.

The P is objectively a far more beautiful watch, truly one of the best looking pieces I've ever seen. But, it's VERY dressy and I would argue that strap changes won't affect that much. My sense is I'd own it, worship it, but reach for it maybe once or twice a month. I work in tech and almost never wear a suit.

The G, while more plain, is more wearable. The Breguet numerals give the dial some warmth, and it's a strap monster. Seems like it could easily be dressed up or down.

Summarily, I think I lust after the P but the G would give more long term ownership satisfaction.

My collection is small (I have a 1803 Day Date, 1680, and a 116500LN), and this is my first Patek. Truthfully, I might have to sell the Daytona to afford the P. At my income level, $85k is a great deal to allocate to one watch that I think, despite it being the most beautiful watch I've ever seen, won't wear as much. Still...it's so stunningly gorgeous.

My questions are these:
- 5170P or G owners: do you wear the watch often? Does it look harmonious with a variety of dress colors and styles?
- Is it better to own the best possible piece and not wear it or get more use out of something that is a little less desirable but more flexible?
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:45 AM   #2
GeraldGentaFan
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Real Name: Mark
Location: Europe
Posts: 398
5170p is one of the greatest PP watches of the last 10 years. You lust after it, don’t try to rationalize why to buy the G... you want the P!
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:47 AM   #3
Vipes
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,978
I had the 5170P and it is a great watch. I felt the same way as you; it is too dressy with the diamond markers. I thought it was too much for one watch that didn’t get much wrist time.

I have the 5170g white dial on my list (maybe next year). You can make it casual with different lighter colored straps.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:08 AM   #4
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: London
Posts: 285
My friend has just picked up a 5170p and he basically ruined my watch-life as a result!

It's sensational.

I was viciously critical of the diamond hour markers on its release, I said, they ruined the watch and indeed, I'd still prefer it without, but it's still a magnificent Patek. One of the best for a looong time.
Get one.


P.S. G is not comparable in any way....
PPS. My friend has it on a dark blue strap and wears it with jeans. Looks great.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:33 AM   #5
Russell996
2020 Pledge Member
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,187
I love the black dialed G
P is sublime.
__________________
Instagram @scu16m
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:46 AM   #6
nyc2la
"TRF" Member
 
nyc2la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Real Name: Stephen
Location: SoCal
Watch: Patek, Rolex, FPJ
Posts: 8,120


Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.
__________________
.
Instagram: @sswristpics
.
.
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." --- RWE
.
.
---
Patek and Rolex
nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:00 AM   #7
ap1
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 15,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post


Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.
What he said
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post


Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.
wow! yes what he said !
__________________
Time is Money.
Mr. Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:42 AM   #9
broca00
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2
IMO, 5170p has one of the most magnificent dials. For a variety reasons, I think you will have no regrets choosing 5170p over 5170g. I can't say the same thing for the reverse. Cheers!
broca00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 08:52 AM   #10
sensui
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
sensui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post


Go with the P, then strap on a blue/gray Patek strap, and wear it with shorts and tee shirt, jeans and a polo, or a suit.
What they're all saying above me.

I never thought the 5170p is necessarily dressy. It looks fine when I go out in shirt and jeans. We all can agree it's definitely one of the most beautiful watches ever made.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:57 AM   #11
mps354
2020 Pledge Member
 
mps354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Real Name: Mike
Location: CT
Posts: 8,244
Had both, still have my 5170p
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:15 AM   #12
LJubel328
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 214
I absolutely love the 5170p. The best looking patek I have tried on.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:21 AM   #13
pb2au
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Real Name: Sanj
Location: Toronto, Canada
Watch: Depends on day
Posts: 301
P is next on my hit list. I was lusting for a 5270 but picked up a 5960 1A which is now my daily. It’s a robust piece and more practical for a daily. I have a 5980 1 A so no further need For a sport watch. I think The P would be a great third piece. 5270 will have to wait.

I will say that I really like the G but long term I think the P will be a classic.
pb2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:04 AM   #14
aj_tucker
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New York
Watch: Daytona 116500
Posts: 94
I'm not arguing the P isn't the better watch - it is. Some context about about me:

I have dark skin - white / gold looks better on me than black (hence the interest in a white dial). I am usually in a jumper and jeans or chinos. I wear mostly Everlane (everlane.com). I don't often wear collared shirts. I walk around in New York City and bang in to things. I don't really eat at fancy restaurants anymore; and I don't do fancy things. More often than not, it's game night with friends, dinner and a show with my lady once a month or so (non-COVID).

The P seems like the kind of watch that one wears infrequently..and I have a very small collection, so I want to wear what I do own regularly. I know it's gauche to talk about price, but this is by far the most I will have ever spent on anything (the G or the P) so I want to get regular use out of it...it's not an investment to me. Any increase in price will be affected by the fact that the watch will show wear. Seems like the kinda piece that I am gad exists, but I don't need to own personally.

@5170P-owners: how often do you wear it? And what do you wear it with? What do you NOT wear it with?
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:36 PM   #15
benlee
2020 Pledge Member
 
benlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Real Name: Ben
Location: SIN & JKT
Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Posts: 9,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
My questions are these:
- 5170P or G owners: do you wear the watch often? Does it look harmonious with a variety of dress colors and styles?
- Is it better to own the best possible piece and not wear it or get more use out of something that is a little less desirable but more flexible?
Replying your questions.

I own a 5170P which is obvious from my avatar. I have a large collection so it is hard for me to wear any particular watch often but yes, it does get wrist time. As for matching dress colors, I think it goes particularly well with white long sleeve.

I think I will pick the 5170P hands down over any other 5170s. The platinum case and the rich blue dial sparkles like nothing I have ever own. That said, you should buy the piece that sing most to you and which you are most likely to wear more often.

The usual obligatory wrist shot.


__________________
Follow me on Instagram : benlee789
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:55 PM   #16
AK797
"TRF" Member
 
AK797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Real Name: Neil
Location: UK
Watch: ing ships roll in
Posts: 57,388
The P is beautiful no doubt but at almost half the price the G represents terrific value. If you can make yourself find diamonds a bit girly you can save a ton of dough.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 08:52 PM   #17
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
I'm not arguing the P isn't the better watch - it is. Some context about about me:

I have dark skin - white / gold looks better on me than black (hence the interest in a white dial). I am usually in a jumper and jeans or chinos. I wear mostly Everlane (everlane.com). I don't often wear collared shirts. I walk around in New York City and bang in to things. I don't really eat at fancy restaurants anymore; and I don't do fancy things. More often than not, it's game night with friends, dinner and a show with my lady once a month or so (non-COVID).

The P seems like the kind of watch that one wears infrequently..and I have a very small collection, so I want to wear what I do own regularly. I know it's gauche to talk about price, but this is by far the most I will have ever spent on anything (the G or the P) so I want to get regular use out of it...it's not an investment to me. Any increase in price will be affected by the fact that the watch will show wear. Seems like the kinda piece that I am gad exists, but I don't need to own personally.

@5170P-owners: how often do you wear it? And what do you wear it with? What do you NOT wear it with?
Not an owner of either but if you got the G you would regret not getting the P

Get the P and wear it as much as you like on a grey strap like the other gentleman. Wear it with pride and joy every day.. it is one of the most beautiful watches to have ever been created.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:34 PM   #18
ts3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
Seems like the kinda piece that I am glad exists, but I don't need to own personally.
This.

Admire from afar rather than getting a 85k watch that you don't seem to be comfortable with as a daily and which does not exactly seem to suit your lifestyle and situation, no matter how pretty it is and how strong the itch may be.

Many enablers on here own large collections with numerous 50k or 100k watches to choose from every day. Different ball game. Their advice is dangerous...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:04 PM   #19
Dr Process
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Real Name: Joseph
Location: PA
Watch: your hands
Posts: 176
Seriously, flip a coin. You can’t lose. Let us know what fate decides!
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:31 AM   #20
Jghansen2007
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 9
I read an article that suggested - as Dr Process says-that when making a hard decision you should flip a a coin. If you're happy with the result of the coin toss, then you go with it. On the other hand, if you find yourself unhappy with the toss and questioning why you'd leave an important decision to a coin flip in the first place, then you should go with the other choice. It's a good way to suss out what you really want.
Jghansen2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:36 AM   #21
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 795
I think if he flipped a coin and it came out P, he’d get the P. If it landed on G, I think he’d have second thoughts
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:20 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member
 
jon_jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,817
If price is not a concern, some would say get the 5070P and relatively speaking the 5170P would be a bargain. If you want to save some money for other watch purposes, the 5170G is a great "bargain" at $45k pre-owned.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:31 AM   #23
BigAppleBill
2020 SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
BigAppleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Real Name: Bill
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If price is not a concern, some would say get the 5070P and relatively speaking the 5170P would be a bargain. If you want to save some money for other watch purposes, the 5170G is a great "bargain" at $45k pre-owned.
Is someone offering a 5170G black dial in very good to excellent condition with B+P for $45K?
BigAppleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #24
jon_jon
"TRF" Member
 
jon_jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Is someone offering a 5170G black dial in very good to excellent condition with B+P for $45K?
OP mentioned in his original post he is considering a white dial 5170G at $45k. That is the topic of the discussion here.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:10 AM   #25
aj_tucker
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New York
Watch: Daytona 116500
Posts: 94
Yep, that's the one. I really appreciate this groups discussion - very insightful. I think I've made up my mind and now it's a matter of finding the right watch. Unfortunately, my hemming and hawing means I missed out on a deal, but I'm sure I'll find another!
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:31 AM   #26
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member
 
MCMartiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Somewhere in time
Watch: Patek 5164 & 5712
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghansen2007 View Post
I read an article that suggested - as Dr Process says-that when making a hard decision you should flip a a coin. If you're happy with the result of the coin toss, then you go with it. On the other hand, if you find yourself unhappy with the toss and questioning why you'd leave an important decision to a coin flip in the first place, then you should go with the other choice. It's a good way to suss out what you really want.
“Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,
the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.
No - not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;
but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping. ”

― Piet Hein
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:36 AM   #27
subtona
2020 SUBMARINER Pledge Member
 
subtona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: gus
Location: East Coast
Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Posts: 23,329
For what it’s worth, had the G and let it go. Didn’t love it especially the void near 10 o’clock.
__________________
subtona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:01 AM   #28
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Miami USA
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_tucker View Post
Hi all,

I'm debating between two 5170s; the P ($85kUSD) and the white-dialed G ($45k). I've been drooling over the P for months and have heard the impassioned pleas of contributors here that the P is the end all, be all of the 5170. I finally saw them both side-by-side at Michael Ashton in NYC yesterday. But, the closer I get to pulling the trigger, I'm leaning G...Here's some rationale.

The P is objectively a far more beautiful watch, truly one of the best looking pieces I've ever seen. But, it's VERY dressy and I would argue that strap changes won't affect that much. My sense is I'd own it, worship it, but reach for it maybe once or twice a month. I work in tech and almost never wear a suit.

The G, while more plain, is more wearable. The Breguet numerals give the dial some warmth, and it's a strap monster. Seems like it could easily be dressed up or down.

Summarily, I think I lust after the P but the G would give more long term ownership satisfaction.

My collection is small (I have a 1803 Day Date, 1680, and a 116500LN), and this is my first Patek. Truthfully, I might have to sell the Daytona to afford the P. At my income level, $85k is a great deal to allocate to one watch that I think, despite it being the most beautiful watch I've ever seen, won't wear as much. Still...it's so stunningly gorgeous.

My questions are these:
- 5170P or G owners: do you wear the watch often? Does it look harmonious with a variety of dress colors and styles?
- Is it better to own the best possible piece and not wear it or get more use out of something that is a little less desirable but more flexible?
I wouldn't sell the Daytona. Since you mentioned the price and having to sell your Daytona... If your income level doesn't permit you to buy a $45k or $85k watch without selling something, I think it's probably a purchase that may be out of proportion to your current finances. I think a good amount of people here, as someone else mentioned, have $300k+ collections. Their advice as to which to get is likely not bound by any financial constraints. I feel like owning an $85k watch wouldn't be fun unless I knew that it was money I didn't need (i.e., F___ Y__ money). In any case, the price difference between the two buys a lot of watch. Do you like the P more than the G, plus your Daytona, and a royal oak (or whatever floats your boat)?

I would end up resenting a purchase of that level that I didn't wear often (as you suggested you might not), especially if I ended up selling a solid daily classic (the daytona) to get it and tied up a good chunk of change. This is all my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt as I obviously don't know your personal situation. Best of luck!
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:07 AM   #29
aj_tucker
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New York
Watch: Daytona 116500
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
If your income level doesn't permit you to buy a $45k or $85k watch without selling something, I think it's probably a purchase that may be out of proportion to your current finances. I think a good amount of people here, as someone else mentioned, have $300k+ collections. Their advice as to which to get is likely not bound by any financial constraints

[...]


I would end up resenting a purchase of that level that I didn't wear often (as you suggested you might not)
That is the main concern about the P. This will sound crazy, but I went through literally every outfit I had. I asked myself what are the top 3 watches I'd wear, assuming I had a 5170P, 5170G, 1815 chrono in RG, and the three rolexes I currently own, assigning 3 points to the first choice, 2 to the second, and one for the third. In order, it was the 1815 Chrono in red gold, my 1803, then Sub, then Daytona, then 5170G, then 5170P (with the P earning less than half the points of the next lowest performer, the 5170G). Which confirmed that I think I would get the least wear out of it. For a person of limited means (mind you, one who could still afford a $100k watch collection), an inverse relationship between cost and wear is just bad sense. No matter how much I love a watch.
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:01 PM   #30
Dr Process
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Real Name: Joseph
Location: PA
Watch: your hands
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghansen2007 View Post
I read an article that suggested - as Dr Process says-that when making a hard decision you should flip a a coin. If you're happy with the result of the coin toss, then you go with it. On the other hand, if you find yourself unhappy with the toss and questioning why you'd leave an important decision to a coin flip in the first place, then you should go with the other choice. It's a good way to suss out what you really want.
Agreed. When the coin is in the air... you’ll know which watch you really want.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.