The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 October 2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Pre Vendome Question(s)

I figured someone here might be a bit of a early Panerai expert, or own one or two, so I'd ask some questions. Been getting into the early Panerai stuff for awhile but have realized information is a bit limited. I enjoy the thought of owning a PV one day, but it seems to be a bit of a minefield. With that in mind, some questions if there are any collectors here:

1) Prices are all over the place. Some B&P 5218-201s are 20K, others are 50K. I know condition and completeness affect this but it still seems odd to have so much variance. I also notice that many of them for sale sit, for ages. It doesn't inspire a bunch of confidence. Any thoughts on the health and stability of the PV market?

2) Authenticity? I checked with Panerai and they will only authenticate back to 1998. So, no PV. Ultimate buyer beware it appears. I read that these used to be heavily faked. If there is no verification service, is it really just a "buyer beware" market? Any rock solid dealers that specialize in PV stuff you would recommend to ensure authentic pieces (I've seen a story or two on fakes making it to auction at Sothebys and the like so this seems a genuine concern).

3) Service. Will Panerai service a PV? If so, would you want them to? I wouldn't want hands swapped, and I am assuming they wouldn't have parts (Unitas) anyway. If Panerai is a no go, is there a place you know that specializes in care for PVs?

It is such an interesting watch, and they look lovely. But it does seem a bit of a minefield for the uninformed. Appreciate any advice or knowledge.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 03:57 AM   #2
Swaye
"TRF" Member

136 views and no answers I think tells me what I need to know. Heh. Very limited market and perhaps not worth playing in without significant knowledge. Thanks anyway all!
Old 15 October 2020, 01:12 AM   #3
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I figured someone here might be a bit of a early Panerai expert, or own one or two, so I'd ask some questions. Been getting into the early Panerai stuff for awhile but have realized information is a bit limited. I enjoy the thought of owning a PV one day, but it seems to be a bit of a minefield. With that in mind, some questions if there are any collectors here:

1) Prices are all over the place. Some B&P 5218-201s are 20K, others are 50K. I know condition and completeness affect this but it still seems odd to have so much variance. I also notice that many of them for sale sit, for ages. It doesn't inspire a bunch of confidence. Any thoughts on the health and stability of the PV market?

2) Authenticity? I checked with Panerai and they will only authenticate back to 1998. So, no PV. Ultimate buyer beware it appears. I read that these used to be heavily faked. If there is no verification service, is it really just a "buyer beware" market? Any rock solid dealers that specialize in PV stuff you would recommend to ensure authentic pieces (I've seen a story or two on fakes making it to auction at Sothebys and the like so this seems a genuine concern).

3) Service. Will Panerai service a PV? If so, would you want them to? I wouldn't want hands swapped, and I am assuming they wouldn't have parts (Unitas) anyway. If Panerai is a no go, is there a place you know that specializes in care for PVs?

It is such an interesting watch, and they look lovely. But it does seem a bit of a minefield for the uninformed. Appreciate any advice or knowledge.
Let me start by answering your last question first. If you buy a PV piece, DO NOT under any circumstance send it to Panerai for servicing. There are many reliable independent shops that can service and preserve a PV piece and not butcher it the way that Panerai would probably do.

Now, in terms of the current PV market, prices are indeed all over the place and many watches are either super reps, or originals but without a full set. Getting an original, full set PV in a good condition is very hard and it takes time looking into and researching. That being said, there are reliable dealers out there (a couple that I know in Italy, plus one in HK) that can source a great condition PV at a reasonable price. Bear in mind that prices for some of them will be well above 20k range, so if you're looking for a Slytech (5218-205/A) or Marina Militare (5218-203/A), then be prepared to pay anywhere between 40-50k. For a non-matching Marina Militare it's even more.

Hope this helps.
Old 15 October 2020, 03:45 AM   #4
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Let me start by answering your last question first. If you buy a PV piece, DO NOT under any circumstance send it to Panerai for servicing. There are many reliable independent shops that can service and preserve a PV piece and not butcher it the way that Panerai would probably do.

Now, in terms of the current PV market, prices are indeed all over the place and many watches are either super reps, or originals but without a full set. Getting an original, full set PV in a good condition is very hard and it takes time looking into and researching. That being said, there are reliable dealers out there (a couple that I know in Italy, plus one in HK) that can source a great condition PV at a reasonable price. Bear in mind that prices for some of them will be well above 20k range, so if you're looking for a Slytech (5218-205/A) or Marina Militare (5218-203/A), then be prepared to pay anywhere between 40-50k. For a non-matching Marina Militare it's even more.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate the advice. I may continue to explore the PV stuff, and expand my aperture to the early tritium dials as there seems to be a little more to follow. Both are very cool periods for Panerai imho.
Old 15 October 2020, 07:23 AM   #5
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Appreciate the advice. I may continue to explore the PV stuff, and expand my aperture to the early tritium dials as there seems to be a little more to follow. Both are very cool periods for Panerai imho.
No worries. If you’re looking for tritium references in the Richemont era of Panerai, then do a quick search for “Panerai OP6502” on C24 and you’ll get plenty of results. 004 Pre A is my favorite reference from that period.