The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 06:21 AM   #61
GB-GMT
"TRF" Member

Yes I’m new to the Rolex game and my dream watch was a BLRO. I was previously an Omega/Breitling person. After finding out what the deal was with regards to securing a BLRO from an AD, I put my name down for a sub or SD43 with a few AD’s. After waiting 8 months with no calls, I decided to bite the bullet and get a BLRO thru Davidsw. This was the watch I really wanted first anyway.

Of course 2 weeks after getting the BLRO, I was contacted by an AD who had an SD43. Had to turn it down. Now I could have put it on a CC but my wife would have me sleeping on the couch if I bought that as well.

I will try again for the SD43 next year.
GB-GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #62
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-GMT View Post
Yes I’m new to the Rolex game and my dream watch was a BLRO. I was previously an Omega/Breitling person. After finding out what the deal was with regards to securing a BLRO from an AD, I put my name down for a sub or SD43 with a few AD’s. After waiting 8 months with no calls, I decided to bite the bullet and get a BLRO thru Davidsw. This was the watch I really wanted first anyway.

Of course 2 weeks after getting the BLRO, I was contacted by an AD who had an SD43. Had to turn it down. Now I could have put it on a CC but my wife would have me sleeping on the couch if I bought that as well.

I will try again for the SD43 next year.
Enjoy that BLRO!
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:25 AM   #63
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Anyone ever get “the call” and not be able to afford it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I think people need to show more compassion for others. If you’re a single millionaire your situation is different from an upper middle class person with kids in college etc. If someone says “Do I really put one more watch ahead of this other thing?”, then bravo to them.

Unfortunately a large amount of people need a lesson in humility and compassion these days.

Just yesterday I was at a thrift store that benefits a local hospital. An elderly woman in front of me expressed a lot of interest in a handbag. She did not grab it and her purchase was $0.50. I grabbed the bag off the wall and told her to enjoy it and it was on me. She seemed off put and asked why I would do such a thing. Everyone in line including the woman in question was shocked when I responded “I’m just trying to do something nice for someone and saw an opportunity”. It’s sad that a small gesture is considered so large by so many these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:36 AM   #64
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I opened the TRF and was pleasantly surprised by an original thread. One funny thing is that as I read through this thread, not a single response either in content or tone surprised me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:37 AM   #65
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Unfortunately a large amount of people need a lesson in humility and compassion these days.

Just yesterday I was at a thrift store that benefits a local hospital. An elderly woman in front of me expressed a lot of interest in a handbag. She did not grab it and her purchase was $0.50. I grabbed the bag off the wall and told her to enjoy it and it was on me. She seemed off out and asked why I would do such a thing. Everyone in line including the woman in question was shocked when I responded “I’m just trying to do something nice for someone and saw an opportunity”. It’s sad that a small gesture is considered so large by so many these days.

How sweet of you <3
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:46 AM   #66
GB-GMT
"TRF" Member

Thank you! I’m loving it.

By the way, I have since spoken to this AD and the SD43 was sold within 5 minutes of my call. Not going to feel bad that I had to turn something down like an SS Rolex. It’s not like the AD is getting stuck with something they can’t sell.
GB-GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:47 AM   #67
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Not that I couldn’t per we but I was having a second child and with the uncertainty that brings I turned down the white dial Daytona. Regret since..
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:54 AM   #68
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Wow. Another holier than though post. lol.
Nothing to do with that, just simple straight forward way of doing business which works for me
Old 26 October 2020, 07:00 AM   #69
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Nothing to do with that, just simple straight forward way of doing business which works for me

Agreed. Can’t understand why people get offended by a simple answer to the question posted.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:07 AM   #70
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Agreed. Can’t understand why people get offended by a simple answer to the question posted.
His answer would have made more sense 10 years ago when you could buy practically any Rolex from an AD “right then and there.” That is not the case in today’s world. Different scenario.
Old 26 October 2020, 07:38 AM   #71
On a Ragga Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
I think a lot of people on this forum need to lighten up and be more humble.
Agree
On a Ragga Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:43 AM   #72
mattfa999
"TRF" Member

Most refreshing thread I've seen in quite some time. I've so tired of the pretentious threads that generally populate the forum. You know the ones, so I won't list them here. But if pretentiousness was a currency, many posters on here would be wealthy beyond belief. Oh, and none of my watches are a match for my job, or my car, or anything else some people like to brag about.
mattfa999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:55 AM   #73
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t go asking for watches if I don’t have money to pay for it in full.
I agree with this.

The only exception I can see would be a liquidity issue if you have to shuffle money from one account to another to make a prompt payment with cash. But this is another reason I buy everything on credit card.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:05 AM   #74
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

It’s like things just fly over peoples’ heads.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:09 AM   #75
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfa999 View Post
Most refreshing thread I've seen in quite some time. I've so tired of the pretentious threads that generally populate the forum. You know the ones, so I won't list them here. But if pretentiousness was a currency, many posters on here would be wealthy beyond belief. Oh, and none of my watches are a match for my job, or my car, or anything else some people like to brag about.
Well said.

What I find comical is for those who have truly achieved complete financial independence, (and are indirectly or directly vocal about it on this forum) they either did it via accumulation or inheritance (family, divorce, gifts, etc.) of some sort. No other way to put it. And I would get it’s relatively split on this forum, but who knows.

Further, people tend to quickly forget what worse times were like, and that can create a lack of empathy. Worse, if they never experienced those times, suffer serious affluenza and live in an alternative universe.
mitchellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:11 AM   #76
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
99% of people on this forum are going to have too much pride to admit to your request....
Bang on!

If it's been keeping you up at night and it's a short term financial 'situation' there is always credit cards and in store credit options etc.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:12 AM   #77
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, my intention when I started this thread was never to shame those fortunate enough to never be in a situation they’d have to turn down a watch due to financial circumstances. I wish we were all that financially sound.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:13 AM   #78
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I agree with this.

The only exception I can see would be a liquidity issue if you have to shuffle money from one account to another to make a prompt payment with cash. But this is another reason I buy everything on credit card.
It’s not a question of not having the money to buy it. It’s a reflection on Rolex and their crazy waitlists. In a one year waitlist, there is a lot of time for a “life happens” moment to where you may not be able to afford it by the time they eventually give you chance to buy the watch.

And for others, not being able to afford it doesn’t necessarily mean the person has no money at all and has to go in debt for the watch. Unless you are a multi millionaire, being unable to afford it could just mean it’s not financially prudent to waste money on a watch as other expenses pop up during eternity waitlist. Not a question of someone living paycheck to paycheck or something.
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:14 AM   #79
tlbarrs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
There have been plenty of instances where I’ve saved up for something (not watches), only to end up having to use that money for an unexpected expense. Watches are bottom of the barrel when it comes to priorities, though. As such, they’re the first thing to go when shit hits the fan. Luckily that’s only happened once.

You hit the nail on the head there mate

tlbarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:18 AM   #80
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post
It’s not a question of not having the money to buy it. It’s a reflection on Rolex and their crazy waitlists. In a one year waitlist, there is a lot of time for a “life happens” moment to where you may not be able to afford it by the time they eventually give you chance to buy the watch.

And for others, not being able to afford it doesn’t necessarily mean the person has no money at all and has to go in debt for the watch. Unless you are a multi millionaire, being unable to afford it could just mean it’s not financially prudent to waste money on a watch as other expenses pop up during eternity waitlist. Not a question of someone living paycheck to paycheck or something.
Yep good point. Another reason why I buy everything grey. I don’t know how people have the patience to wait years and years for a watch. Besides you can always sell it anyway if you have to makes no difference. (Apart from paying more of course)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:35 AM   #81
aayates
"TRF" Member

Please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
If I tell the AD I want a watch & I get the call for the watch. I purchase the watch.

If at any point I change my mind and do not want the watch or do not have the $$ as per say. I let the AD know before wasting their time.

Heres an idea. Once you ask the AD for a watch and they follow through. Buy the watch. If you dont.....your part of the 'problem'
No, you're not "part of the problem"; they sell it to the next guy/gal. Jeez, this is a watch for crying out loud, not refusing life threatening care due to insufficient funds. People order cars all the time and cancel them due to financial difficulties; they may lose a deposit, but that's the way the market works. And that's with customization!. Calm down folks.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:42 AM   #82
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes. You are a man of honor and your word is your bond. Do you realize what a jerk you sound like?
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:11 AM   #83
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRabbit View Post

I never thought of the waitlist issue and that does make sense. If someone waits 1 or more years and then the call comes but the funds need to be spent elsewhere, I’d personally decline. I can see if it’s something that likely won’t read it’s head again soon (SS Daytona/SkyD etc) then I wouldn’t fault one for shuffling things around or even taking on some short term debt (provided they can pay it off ASAP...the floating debt would certainly still be less than grey premium provided again that it’s short term).
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:11 AM   #84
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Happened to me once. Got call for white SkyD, but I had just purchased something else that same week.

Now if it was a blue SkyD, I would have sold some stocks or dipped into savings.

Being "able to afford" something is a very subject term. In my experience, this forum is not a great place to have discussions about financial decisions. Lots of people here who write with a sense of financial superiority.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:16 AM   #85
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i am tempted to try to get on a list, although i've been told there is none at my local AD, for a nautilus.
but i am holding off because if i got the call today, i couldn't justify the purchase.
i'm only temped because i'm anticipating a 3yr wait lol

i would imagine it makes no difference to an AD unless they got an oddball piece especially for you.
and i have definitely been in the position where even a casio was beyond my means. really makes me appreciate being able to have some decent watches now
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:32 AM   #86
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I did this very thing last Thursday. Last week started with a flurry of activity and speculation in my primary hobby, mountainbiking. Starting Monday I had found a limited edition bike I didn’t expect to see and started a chain of events that included passing my current one to a teammate. By Wednesday noon I was pulling the trigger on a new steed which is setting me back around $11K. On my list of things to do was to call my SA and tell him the coral red OP41 I had requested would need to wait. Friday at noon he called to tell me it was in.
I told him I had spent my yearly “mad money” budget but still wanted to come see it. Went in to see and handle it and make sure I wanted it. I still do but just wasn’t willing to drop another $6K two days later on something that can wait.
I’ve known him for 23 years, he assured me no problem, he will always get me what I want when I’m ready. Told him I’ll probably be ready in six months or less. Life is good.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:33 AM   #87
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Yes. You are a man of honor and your word is your bond. Do you realize what a jerk you sound like?
Not sure where the chip on your shoulder is coming from but nothing he's said has been offensive or rude.

Plenty of people (myself included) wait to make a purchase until they can plainly afford it. Just like there's people who ask to be put on every list they come across with no consideration how they'd pay for it if their name came up.

Everyone's circumstance is different. It all comes down to how you handle yourself.

To answer the OP's question, no I haven't had to turn down a call. If I ever did find myself in a bind, or someone close to me needed help - watches are so far down my priority list that they'd be among the first to go if things got that dire.
Old 26 October 2020, 09:36 AM   #88
mattfa999
"TRF" Member

[/QUOTE]and i have definitely been in the position where even a casio was beyond my means. really makes me appreciate being able to have some decent watches now[/QUOTE]

Most honest thing I've seen posted ever. I've been there as well. I concur with this 1000%.
mattfa999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:39 AM   #89
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
I’m waiting for a call...and in the interim I’m setting some money aside. But it is possible I get a call before I can truly feel comfortable pulling the trigger. At that point it’s a quick chat with the wife to see if it can jump the “priority” line. Whatever other priorities those may be... for some it’s a pool or college savings or a new car...who knows.

These aren’t low impact financial purchases for many people. For others they’re a drop the in bucket. Heck - most people would only ever own one Rolex in their life. With waitlists the way they are, you should be putting your name on it to at least give yourself the opportunity.
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:59 AM   #90
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
Weird question mate.
I think you made it weird
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote