The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 10:19 AM   #91
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
i am tempted to try to get on a list, although i've been told there is none at my local AD, for a nautilus.
but i am holding off because if i got the call today, i couldn't justify the purchase.
i'm only temped because i'm anticipating a 3yr wait lol

i would imagine it makes no difference to an AD unless they got an oddball piece especially for you.
and i have definitely been in the position where even a casio was beyond my means. really makes me appreciate being able to have some decent watches now
Exactly, funnily enough I have a Casio A168 that I bought whilst at Uni about 20 years ago for £17.99, I actually left the shop without buying it because I didn't have the money but went back. It has a replacement bracelet and the movement (is it even called that on a Casio?) broke, so at the weekend I bought a new watch and removed the movement and placed it in my old one.
The only original part is case (with is plated resin), Trigger's broom springs to mind, but it still makes me smile when I wear it.

In terms of the OP's post, I don't see anything weird about the question at all. I haven't had to do it personally but circumstances change and would have no problem refusing the watch if i needed to.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:15 AM   #92
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

I haven’t bought a watch in a year or so.

Just purchased a PAM 112 this week and am working on getting Speedy at a discount.

I’m also on a “list” for a BLNR at an AD.

This thread is apropos because it occurred to me: “what if the AD calls after I pull the trigger on the Speedy?” Cost aside, it would be crazy to buy that many watches in such a short time frame.

Kudos OP.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:18 AM   #93
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
I think a lot of people on this forum need to lighten up and be more humble.
Money ain’t no thang for some

But yeah, +1, OP question is super valid and some are being ridiculous. You can easily pull down 6 figures for your business, COVID happened and lost your job and have to turn down something you were waiting on to be responsible. How that isn’t a feasible situation is beyond me.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:23 AM   #94
tahitianmoon
Banned

Watch: AP 15400ST
Yes. I asked to be put on the list for an Explorer 214270 a year ago and got a call 2 weeks later. I was caught flat-footed and unable to pull the trigger on that one. I got a call out of the blue on July 4th from the same AD and knew if I didn't take this one I'd never get another chance so I took it. I wasn't intending on spending 7k that day, but haven't regretted it since.
tahitianmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:26 AM   #95
rmags
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15210 & 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post

I’m also on a “list” for a BLNR at an AD.

This thread is apropos because it occurred to me: “what if the AD calls after I pull the trigger on the Speedy?” Cost aside, it would be crazy to buy that many watches in such a short time frame.

Kudos OP.
Same for me. I’ve passed on other models (126300, 126621 and 114060) because I’m on a “list” for the 124060 and 126711CHNR.
rmags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:57 AM   #96
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Weird questionne indeed for some reason, but why would you put your name down on the mysterious wait list when you cannot afford when the time has come?

Anyway if that happen I will sell what I can sell as quick as possible to get that piece that I really want.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:02 PM   #97
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJKLFoams View Post
Weird questionne indeed for some reason, but why would you put your name down on the mysterious wait list when you cannot afford when the time has come?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Apparently you can tell when the time comes when you put your name on "the list."

For the rest of us regular humans, we cannot see the future. I put my name in for a 116500 a few weeks ago. I was and still am financially prepared to purchase it if my AD calls today. But tomorrow is not promised. I pray that I and my family stay in good health, no major life crises arise, etc. But sh*t happens. And the wait for a 116500 is likely years for most of us that are not big-spenders with the AD. And if my mom came to me with an urgent financial emergency and I could help...you bet your ass I'd do anything for that woman.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:13 PM   #98
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Happened to me before when I got the call for the Sea Dweller. Had to turn it down as the timing wasn't right. Then a few weeks ago same AD called me for the JC. This time I had the funds but was hoping for something else (I also want the JC). I almost said no again but took the JC as I didn't want to turn the AD down again. I may never be considered for anything else again lol

Yesterday, a different AD called (no sales history) and offered a Sub No Date. I turned it down then a feeling of gloom and "what have I done" came over me 2 minutes later. Called the AD right away and she was just about to call the next person in line. Tragedy averted lol I pick up tomorrow.

I try not to look for watches when I'm not ready but I totally understand the situation. Timing can be difficult and other stuff come up. In my case, I have other hobbies and money generally burns a hole in my pocket. Patience is not my strongest suit

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:14 PM   #99
robk215k
"TRF" Member

I like the question. I’m far from financially well off and work hard to make buying one an option. I know there are times when funds are coming, but not here yet...so I’ve had to ask around knowing it’ll take time. Fortunately (I guess) I’ve never gotten the call before the funds came in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 October 2020, 12:41 PM   #100
zengineer
"TRF" Member

The day getting on a list means I will actually be offered the watch in a reasonable time frame is the day I'll feel bad about changing my mind (with or without financial reasons) when they call.

I asked an AD to call me if a Z Blue Milgauss came in and passed on it when they called 6 months later. Its not like I had special ordered it and had since bought a differet blue dial watch. So it wasn't so much couldn't afford it, it was just not something I wanted to spend money on.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:49 PM   #101
frtorres87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Unfortunately a large amount of people need a lesson in humility and compassion these days.

Just yesterday I was at a thrift store that benefits a local hospital. An elderly woman in front of me expressed a lot of interest in a handbag. She did not grab it and her purchase was $0.50. I grabbed the bag off the wall and told her to enjoy it and it was on me. She seemed off put and asked why I would do such a thing. Everyone in line including the woman in question was shocked when I responded “I’m just trying to do something nice for someone and saw an opportunity”. It’s sad that a small gesture is considered so large by so many these days.

I respect this so much man. Props to you. Good to see some kind hearted people still around that think about others.

frtorres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:00 PM   #102
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I just wish my style wasn’t so fashionable these days. Can stainless steel silver/blue dial sports models please become very uncool so I can pick up an Odysseus for under msrp? :/
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:01 PM   #103
frtorres87
"TRF" Member

I for one want to thank the OP for starting this thread. There is clearly a diverse crowd here and though I respect everyone’s comments and/or opinions I can really appreciate the more kind and polite comments. Believe me, I know first hand we live in a cold world but I know I spend time on these forums to get away from the Dousche baggery of the world.

Anyways, to answer the OP last year around this time I got the call for a BLNR on Jubilee. Unfortunately I was in Australia on vacation and I was going to be back for two weeks. The AD wasn’t going to hold it for that long so I lost my opportunity. I’ve only ever gotten one other call from an AD and that was for my Submariner which was my first Rolex. I don’t think I’ll decline a watch an AD offers though. I have personally only ever bought a watch I can pay cash or if I put it on a credit card it was paid off immediately as to not pay interest. I’d take any watch an AD offers, because worse case it can always be flipped.

frtorres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:51 PM   #104
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

This thread also reminded me of something I saw when I was in a YouTube worm hole the other day.

The video was titled “why I decided to sell my Nautilus...” or something similar.

Short version: the guy gets the opportunity to buy a 5711, and pays MSRP of $29k. Ultimately he decides he doesn’t like wearing it and the stigma associated with it - which I get - he also revealed he was constantly getting offers for it etc. Ultimately he decided to sell it for a hefty sum and used it to pay off credit card debt! I almost fell out of my chair. Dude is walking around with a watch that can fetch $75k and his credit card isn’t paid off. What a world we live in!
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:54 PM   #105
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
This thread also reminded me of something I saw when I was in a YouTube worm hole the other day.

The video was titled “why I decided to sell my Nautilus...” or something similar.

Short version: the guy gets the opportunity to buy a 5711, and pays MSRP of $29k. Ultimately he decides he doesn’t like wearing it and the stigma associated with it - which I get - he also revealed he was constantly getting offers for it etc. Ultimately he decided to sell it for a hefty sum and used it to pay off credit card debt! I almost fell out of my chair. Dude is walking around with a watch that can fetch $75k and his credit card isn’t paid off. What a world we live in!
I've mentioned this before on here. I personally know of somebody who couldn't even make RENT one month and recently bought a SS sport model.

Some people really haven't a clue how hard some are 'faking' it right now to seem trendy for IG. It's mind blowing.
Old 26 October 2020, 02:00 PM   #106
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
I had a thread about this a while ago for anyone that is interested. But essentially I had been on the waitlist for a 114060 for almost a year. In January of this year i got tired of waiting and bought a DJ41 thinking this could hold me over until one day when i got a Sub. Well in March I got the call. This was right as COVID started and i didnt think it would be wise to buy a 8k watch when so much was uncertain. This was my grail and had been after it for idk how long. So i made the decision. Bought the watch and sold my DJ to DavidSW the next day. Does it suck? Yeah of course. Do i regret it? Absolutely not. Love my subby
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:03 PM   #107
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
Weird question mate.
Not weird at all. I'm sure there are plenty of people that fell on hard times or had surprise expenses arise that put watch purchases on hold.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:16 PM   #108
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I've mentioned this before on here. I personally know of somebody who couldn't even make RENT one month and recently bought a SS sport model.

Some people really haven't a clue how hard some are 'faking' it right now to seem trendy for IG. It's mind blowing.
You’re only as cool as strangers think you are. Or did life not teach you that yet?

dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:28 PM   #109
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's really really sad to be honest. Credit agencies aren't helping either.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 03:06 PM   #110
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
You’re only as cool as strangers think you are. Or did life not teach you that yet?

It's wild man, I can't believe the logic they use at times. These aren't even 'influencers' who have such a following it nets them considerable money. People put on this facade and buy things they can't afford for a couple hundred likes and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
It's really really sad to be honest. Credit agencies aren't helping either.

The economy is fine and markets are at an all time high and everything is okay though, right? My friend who just invested his life savings in Tesla at current valuations told me this.

Old 26 October 2020, 04:30 PM   #111
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lots of very interesting responses on this thread and things like this post really make me understand where the demand comes from and how the secondary market stays so buoyant.

If a call came in (hypothetical as I’m not on any lists) then I would pass if I didn’t have the money ready to go.

That would be preferable to me than buying an asset with credit, in the hope it continued to hold or increase in secondary value.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:40 PM   #112
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
99% of people on this forum are going to have too much pride to admit to your request....

Or ego.....A couple of years ago I was in a tight spot when out of no where i got the call for a white gold oyster flex daytona .....i had to turn it down.....the AD has never called me again so he probably thinks im a messer now
Old 26 October 2020, 05:36 PM   #113
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Yes. You are a man of honor and your word is your bond. Do you realize what a jerk you sound like?
I am indeed that old fashioned and in the same time not judgmental. Everybody rides his own bike in life and that’s fine.
Just being on different wave lengths is no reason to become offensive.
The world is divisive enough as it is and nothing good is coming from that
Old 26 October 2020, 05:40 PM   #114
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:

How did he buy it then, credit card?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:45 PM   #115
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
It's wild man, I can't believe the logic they use at times. These aren't even 'influencers' who have such a following it nets them considerable money. People put on this facade and buy things they can't afford for a couple hundred likes and that's it.

The economy is fine and markets are at an all time high and everything is okay though, right? My friend who just invested his life savings in Tesla at current valuations told me this.

Wow that’s a scary move. Hope it works out for him.

To answer original question. I came from Very humble beginnings I was in a shared home as a kid and lived on my own since 14 years of age. I can completely understand not being able to afford due to circumstances.

However having said that, I would never of bought a Rolex if I were in such a position, I only buy grey but I could completely understand not being able to afford it when given the call, there are many things that I would prioritise over watches , in fact everything, if money got tight, they’d be the first thing I would sell.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:20 PM   #116
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Totally reasonable question. It hasn’t happened to me, but it certainly could have if timing had been wrong. Considering that now a person can spend two years waiting for a watch, things can certainly change financially in that time. And it’s not necessarily a matter of being able to afford the watch, it can just be a shift in financial priorities.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:56 PM   #117
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
How did he buy it then, credit card?
Yup! These are real people doing this. I can ascertain most on TRF would never think of doing such, but underestimate a large majority of people have zero financial sense......no seriously, ZERO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Wow that’s a scary move. Hope it works out for him.

To answer original question. I came from Very humble beginnings I was in a shared home as a kid and lived on my own since 14 years of age. I can completely understand not being able to afford due to circumstances.

However having said that, I would never of bought a Rolex if I were in such a position, I only buy grey but I could completely understand not being able to afford it when given the call, there are many things that I would prioritise over watches , in fact everything, if money got tight, they’d be the first thing I would sell.
As I said above, just some have zero sense lol. I have a wide variety of friends in NYC lol.
Old 26 October 2020, 08:09 PM   #118
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Good question !

This has not happened to me for the moment but anything can happen as the delay between the taking of order and the delivery is unreasonable.

I would add that sometimes I feel uncomfortable spending so much money so easily, more and more often. With age (I am 32 years old), I move away from the equipment a bit and in the end I think I will keep 2 or 3 watches and the same goes for cars / motorcycles. What good is all this noise for a watch? I ask the question ... waiting lists of 2, 3 or 5 years, the price of gray at x1.5, x2 or more ... I understand but all this is more and more foreign to me.

I really appreciate the forum and my watches though! !!
WILLIWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:26 PM   #119
icjewelry2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16613lb
I wish I've gotten a call i needed to turn down... that would mean

A - I've actually gotten the call

B - I've spent a lot of money on something else "more important"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
icjewelry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:59 PM   #120
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have never asked to be placed on a list for a watch that I could not pay for. I have stopped dealing with AD's for hot watches for just this reason and the fact that my watch buying is on my terms and time table. That means that I buy my Rolex watches from our Trusted Sellers and I pay the best price that I can negotiate. That means I pay more but that is OK based on what the watches are worth on a sell or a trade. Should the market tank and I lose value in the watches in my collection then so be it. I consistently get what I want, when I want it and I am able to manage how I pay for it. I am either a cash or trade or both collector. Once again we are talking about money and not watches.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote