The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2020, 11:52 AM   #61
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Not getting out to formal events. Ready for when I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now, those are classy dress watches..
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:57 AM   #62
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Likely the only time I'll need a dress watch is in the coffin.
You won't be needing the time anymore then, make sure someone gives it around 70 winds...
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:02 PM   #63
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Personally think PM and TT work with suites well
Old 28 October 2020, 02:31 PM   #64
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubero View Post
Now, those are classy dress watches..
Looking forward to having a place to wear them soon!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:11 PM   #65
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Well I hope that does not happen for a very long time....I enjoy your posts!
You and me both!!! Actually had to get Covid tested this week due to a coworker's 15 y/o daughter testing positive. Later found he tested negative. Thank God!!! I'm waiting for results never the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubero View Post
You won't be needing the time anymore then, make sure someone gives it around 70 winds...
I just hope they pull it off before I get interred.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:27 PM   #66
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Does anyone else swap their dress watch for a PM bracelet three hands, after putting on a smoking jacket and retiring to the cigar lounge at the end of an evening?

I don’t like the idea of smoke getting into the leather which is why I usually change my shoes for some Albert slippers at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:31 PM   #67
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Very nice! Love the combo of the suit and the watch.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:56 PM   #68
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I think people wear sporty watches and class them as dress watches. But who am I to talk? My dress watch is a reverso. Its thin, leather, white metal, no complications... but it was literally designed as a sports watch. I guess the dress watch really has changed over the years

Old 28 October 2020, 07:32 PM   #69
Pete26
Banned

I have never worn a tuxedo and my wedding suit was sky blue, although I did wear a blue bow tie and vest. My watch was a quartz Seiko sports 100 Pepsi.

No one noticed. That was in 1984.

Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:27 PM   #70
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think it is all on the table as the rules of formal dress have eroded over the years. A SS Rolex Sport model works just fine.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:39 PM   #71
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
The blue guilloche Cellini must be the ultimate Rolex dress watch right now. Amazed no one's talked about Cellini. A skydweller is also a pretty dressy watch in SS, TT or PR.
How in God's name a SKydweller is to be considered a dress watch completely beats me
Old 29 October 2020, 12:13 AM   #72
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
A decade ago I decided I needed a "dress watch." I knew I wouldn't wear it often so didn't want to spend a lot. Found a simple three hander Oris watch in rose gold PVD on leather strap. I've probably worn it a dozen times or less as I don't dress up for work or have many formal activities.
A couple years ago I was the Best Man in my mate's wedding. We both wore matching grey suits and I wore my white panda dial Speedmaster on black stingray dial. At the 11th hour his bride gave me direction to drop my black dress shoes and wear some black suede Louboutin sneakers with spikes for some whimsy.
Since then I did go to one semi-formal dinner, sports coat with no tie. For that I wore my black dial Daytona on Oysterflex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7F45EDD2-59CE-45F6-BBF8-D24E3BDC4F1A.jpeg (191.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpeg 29A42FC0-015E-4689-B097-190DE3D6CA2B.jpeg (193.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpeg 697BD780-1FA5-407B-ACE0-7AD26F3ADBD1.jpeg (192.0 KB, 164 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #73
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting question, and to be honest, I feel like much of the conversation around "dress" watches is a combination of observation and speculation. So here are my observations and speculations!

1. In general, it seems that many of the "rules" of fashion that were accepted (and enforced) as conventional wisdom have relaxed. For example, in the past supposedly one was restricted regarding which colors one could wear during any given season. Doesn't seem to be the case any more.

2. Both now and then (in the past), the "rules" of fashion were the domain of a) high fashion folks, b) old school wealthy folks, and/or c) those who defended classic Western European-style etiquette. In other words, the rules were governed by and most guarded by a very elite minority of society. Plebians like myself (and I reckon many on this forum) will likely never get anywhere close to those circles, nor will my life (or what I wear) be of any consequence to them. No judgement either way, just a reality.

3. More specifically, the classic "rules" regarding "dress" watches -- which for the sake of this post will refer to relatively thin, often precious metal, perhaps limited in complications, and on leather strap -- seem to be most applicable to true "formal" occasions. By "formal," I mean situations where the gent is wearing a tuxedo (or equivalent?)...black tie minimally, and white tie certainly. But I think there's more...the formality of the occasion is not just what is worn, but the context as well. It seems that, from a "rules" perspective, that the aforementioned "dress" watch is expected to be worn with the tux in situations where the elites from item 2 above are present. Because correct dress matters to them, and maybe only to them. Again, no judgement.

So, as an example and by contrast, weddings (for most of us) would not be an occasion that would be "formal" on the level that the "rules" for "dress" watches would apply. Although it is the custom that most will wear a tux at our wedding, the context most likely won't include the elites who care about this. So, the "rules" are not so important...

4. After that long-winded exploration of "formal" situations, I think it also helps to talk about what are not formal situations. It seems that wearing a suit and tie, even a really nice one in a business situation, is not considered classically "formal". Thus, the rules (whatever that means) for formal wear don't apply to nice business attire. That's not to say that there isn't a culture and unwritten code in the business world about what to wear on your wrist, but that is a different conversation.

5. As mentioned earlier, the "rules" seem to be less impactful and important to the average citizen. I think this trend is aided by the pop cultural influence of a) the "new" wealthy (tech entrepreneurs and celebrities) and b) social media "influencers" (many of whom are really just really normal folks like us).

To conclude, there does seem to be a classic watch style associated with true formal wear, but this seems to be primarily the lingering expectation of a very elite and narrow slice of society. For the majority of the populace, there will not likely ever be an occasion in our lives for which that level of fashion/etiquette scrutiny will be present, and especially in light of relaxation in general fashion trends, the average "Joe/Jane" can probably be just fine wearing whatever he/she wants whenever.

Practically speaking, this means that most watch collections will be perfectly functional with out a classic "dress" watch. It could even be argued that one's money might be better spent on a sport watch that will be worn regularly. Even so, that won't keep us from drooling over (and purchasing) the many beautiful "dress" watches that are out there!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 01:21 AM   #74
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
This is why I love my NOMOS, classic dress watch, in-house movement, but doesn’t take too much funds away from my Rolex watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EA95FF8A-A5C3-4DF8-9DF6-81D21061C86E.jpeg (84.6 KB, 161 views)
Old 29 October 2020, 01:23 AM   #75
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Honest answer, it does not look good. Its not a dress watch.
It belongs in a cave....out in the wild, exploring!

Dress watch=leather strap and less than 40mm, as far as Im concerned!
Old 29 October 2020, 01:33 AM   #76
dazooom
"TRF" Member

Watch: "Pepsi" GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Oh nice...its the weekly "can a Sub go with a suit" thread.

Here's the short answer

No

Yes

No

James Bond

Still No

Yes I am a free thinker and don't care what anyone thinks

Yes

No

Random British Royalty

Stop worrying

I'm not worrying

You suck

No, you suck

James Bond

Can't we all get along

No

Look at this picture...doesn't it change all of your minds?

Yes, nuff said

James Bond

Thread locked

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
dazooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 05:47 AM   #77
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
This is why I love my NOMOS, classic dress watch, in-house movement, but doesn’t take too much funds away from my Rolex watches.
Very, very nice indeed
And while I can clearly see the universal nature of the reference, I notice the coarse stitching on the strap along with the finish on the leather which(in some circles) may ever so slightly preclude it from being regarded as a formal watch and perhaps even a dress watch.
I'd still wear it though
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 05:51 AM   #78
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
I think people wear sporty watches and class them as dress watches. But who am I to talk? My dress watch is a reverso. Its thin, leather, white metal, no complications... but it was literally designed as a sports watch. I guess the dress watch really has changed over the years

True enough
Old 29 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #79
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I’m all for people doing whatever they want to do, but it should work both ways.

You try wearing a three piece suit with a tie on a Saturday or Sunday or even at work on a weekday and see how many comments you get.

Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:00 AM   #80
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

Unless it’s work related, if you receive an invite to any event it’s not worth going to IMHO if the host would be annoyed / disappointed with you if you decide to wear a sport watch instead of a so called dress watch. Be true to yourself.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:03 AM   #81
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Honest answer, it does not look good. Its not a dress watch.
It belongs in a cave....out in the wild, exploring!

Dress watch=leather strap and less than 40mm, as far as Im concerned!
Old 30 October 2020, 03:13 AM   #82
YVRWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Sub, DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
That's not to say that there isn't a culture and unwritten code in the business world about what to wear on your wrist, but that is a different conversation.
Now this is a thread I'd like to see. It might be where I live, but I see investment bankers wearing subs with suits, senior partners at law firms wearing Panarais on rubber to the office, executives wearing Hublots in board meetings. I think for most of these people they have a "nice watch" and they aren't particularly concerned with the traditional rules around when/how to wear it - that's for the WIS kids only.

For the record, I wear a suit and tie to the office and usually will wear either of my VC, JLC or Datejust (fluted/jubilee). They are all dress watches in my mind although the bracelet on the DJ would probably disqualify it on traditional definitions. I leave my sport watches for after work and the weekend. The 2-4 times a year I have to wear my tux I will wear my JLC as it is on black leather and is the simplest watch I own in terms of complications. Occaisionally I will wear my BLNR with a very specific suit/shirt/pocket square combo when entertaining younger clients. These guys wouldn't usually recognize a watch except for one they have seen on instagram.

Admittedly, before I was into watches I would wear a quartz diver everywhere.
YVRWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 07:58 AM   #83
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Very neat thread!
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:12 AM   #84
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Very, very nice indeed
And while I can clearly see the universal nature of the reference, I notice the coarse stitching on the strap along with the finish on the leather which(in some circles) may ever so slightly preclude it from being regarded as a formal watch and perhaps even a dress watch.
I'd still wear it though
Thanks! Shell Cordovan is used for the strap, which is a tough horse hide, very clean and shiny, a perfect compliment to a dedicated dress watch. Very slim watch, fits great under suits.
Old 30 October 2020, 06:22 PM   #85
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
Unless it’s work related, if you receive an invite to any event it’s not worth going to IMHO if the host would be annoyed / disappointed with you if you decide to wear a sport watch instead of a so called dress watch. Be true to yourself.
If there is a dresscode mentioned on the invitation one should have the courtesy to adhere to that.
Old 31 October 2020, 04:52 AM   #86
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Thanks! Shell Cordovan is used for the strap, which is a tough horse hide, very clean and shiny, a perfect compliment to a dedicated dress watch. Very slim watch, fits great under suits.
Good to know.
The quality of the strap is evident
Old 31 October 2020, 04:55 AM   #87
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If there is a dresscode mentioned on the invitation one should have the courtesy to adhere to that.