The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 October 2020, 01:06 PM   #91
straden
"TRF" Member

Cant see but i gave up on my RG scratches =>
Old 29 October 2020, 01:36 PM   #92
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Brother, let it go. I used to worry about every scratch. It’s gonna happen. I own SS and PM; and both scratch. No big difference to me. Gold is not like butter. Gold does not scratch appreciably more. That’s a misnomer. My SS clasps look like this, too.

I work on a MacBook all day and the aluminum chassis scrapes the clasps. No point in worrying. Do NOT polish it. You’ll be chasing every scratch and you’ll ruin your watch trying to polish out every issue.

Enjoy your watch.

PS, it’s not gold plated.

Here’s my 4 month old 116519LN clasp.

I’m sorry but I wouldn’t be able to carry a PM Daytona piece in that condition.
It’s like a badly scuffed up Ferrari bumper. Some people actually condition their brains to think a beat up watch is cool and trendy. It’s hilarious. I don’t agree at all.
Old 29 October 2020, 01:44 PM   #93
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Super annoyed at scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I’m sorry but I wouldn’t be able to carry a PM Daytona piece in that condition.
It’s like a badly scuffed up Ferrari bumper. Some people actually condition their brains to think a beat up watch is cool and trendy. It’s hilarious. I don’t agree at all.

It’s being used and provides me enjoyment on the wrist. That’s why I have it.

PS, I don’t look at the clasp.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 29 October 2020, 01:48 PM   #94
marlopez
"TRF" Member

What scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 October 2020, 01:56 PM   #95
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
I swear there is a correlation between net worth and what one is willing to tolerate in terms of scratches on their luxury watch, car etc. If you’ve got the money, anything can be fixed or replaced. If you stretched to afford that PM, maybe you’re sweating the scratches more. Not saying this is the case with the OP.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:03 PM   #96
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
It’s being used and provides me enjoyment on the wrist. That’s why I have it.

PS, I don’t look at the clasp.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:17 PM   #97
chueu99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frnkbonz View Post
Maybe your not ready to own a luxury watch haha. You can always keep it in the safe. That will sure protect it from scratches. My advice is to wear the goddamn watch and man the f up. Sorry just tired of these scratch posts. One thing is guaranteed is that you will always remember how you got it and probably what you ate. Memories are made from it. Enjoy it.

Sorry, I didn’t realise that there were that many scratch posts

Old 29 October 2020, 02:18 PM   #98
chueu99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
I swear there is a correlation between net worth and what one is willing to tolerate in terms of scratches on their luxury watch, car etc. If you’ve got the money, anything can be fixed or replaced. If you stretched to afford that PM, maybe you’re sweating the scratches more. Not saying this is the case with the OP.

I guess there is a correlation.

That said I don’t think I’m stretching it..

haha, it might also be because I’m Asian.. lol

Old 29 October 2020, 03:04 PM   #99
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Live with it. First of many.

Truth
Old 29 October 2020, 03:48 PM   #100
JEAJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118235
Just wear the watch. It is made to be worn. I know it’s not fun getting scratched but enjoy it, it’s a watch. I get it, I’m particular as well, but I wear my DD often and love wearing it. Sure, it’s not as perfect as it was new, but that is part of the charm of wearing a nice watch. A Rolex watch is hardy and meant to be enjoyed.
Old 29 October 2020, 04:56 PM   #101
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
More to come mate more to come....
Old 29 October 2020, 05:54 PM   #102
Sim1
"TRF" Member

The clasp on mine scratches really easily too, you get used to that after a while.
As I work on a MacBook laptop too, I have put some transparent tape on the corner where my wrist rests, and it does help a bit.
Old 29 October 2020, 06:21 PM   #103
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I could be mistaken, but I have a feeling this forum has too many grown men with deep-rooted and severe psychological issues.

For those that are afraid to scratch their watches; please enlighten with your point of ownership. Do you see your watches as purely luxury items? Please don’t try to claim timekeeping capabilities, as this claim is almost moot at this point since we all carry smartphones.

Also, why Rolex? Rolex of old was less luxury, and more rugged and suitable for elemental challenges of any type.

Why do they need to be in ‘mint’ condition? Do you wear ‘pristine’ watches to send messages to others that you should be perceived as wealthy? Do you keep them mint to potentially salvage your costs? I cannot conceptualize any other reasons as to why not having your watches in mint condition would matter.

Do you buy Rolex for the investment value? If so, and you’re buying just about anything from the current catalogue, good luck long term.

Not trying to be combative in any way, just struggling to understand why grown men care so much about the condition of their wristwatches or ‘luxury’ items (depending on your perspective).
Old 29 October 2020, 06:28 PM   #104
Where
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellp View Post
I could be mistaken, but I have a feeling this forum has too many grown men with deep-rooted and severe psychological issues.

For those that are afraid to scratch their watches; please enlighten with your point of ownership. Do you see your watches as purely luxury items? Please don’t try to claim timekeeping capabilities, as this claim is almost moot at this point since we all carry smartphones.

Also, why Rolex? Rolex of old was less luxury, and more rugged and suitable for elemental challenges of any type.

Why do they need to be in ‘mint’ condition? Do you wear ‘pristine’ watches to send messages to others that you should be perceived as wealthy? Do you keep them mint to potentially salvage your costs? I cannot conceptualize any other reasons as to why not having your watches in mint condition would matter.

Do you buy Rolex for the investment value? If so, and you’re buying just about anything from the current catalogue, good luck long term.

Not trying to be combative in any way, just struggling to understand why grown men care so much about the condition of their wristwatches or ‘luxury’ items (depending on your perspective).

What's the point of a watch if you can't enjoy wearing it without worrying about scratches.
Old 29 October 2020, 06:31 PM   #105
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where View Post

What's the point of a watch if you can't enjoy wearing it without worrying about scratches.
�� That’s a much more succinct, eloquent way to put my drawn-out point.

Look, I wouldn’t purposefully seek out to damage any piece of equipment that I own, but the comments “I couldn’t live with that scratch or groups of scratches” or the concept of a watch losing its value (not thinking monetary) due to scratching is just crazy. To me, those two really take the cake.
Old 29 October 2020, 06:32 PM   #106
Ihatecheese
Banned

It's not nice to scratch the first time with any piece of shiny jewellery, but is a fact of life if you wear it. :( Not sure if it's precious metal or saucepan steel but if the latter can be buffed out without too much pain
Old 29 October 2020, 06:59 PM   #107
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellp View Post
Rolex of old was less luxury, and more rugged and suitable for elemental challenges of any type.
You have a bit of a romantic view, don’t mind me for commenting on this

Rolex has always been luxury and nothing but.
In the old days there was not a single blue collar laborer able to afford one.
Owning a watch was already special. Even nowadays it will be a bridge too far for the vast majority of employees to buy any Rolex.

Did you know that DateJust with a fluted bezel is already around since 1940’s and this type of dressier bezel since 1920’s. Fluted bezel goes hand in hand with a luxury watch made to be jewelry.

The Rolex marketing department created this tool watch image which of course is a load of rubbish. We all can identify with the tough guys and that makes us feel good. Should Rolex depend on a few pro divers or pilots for their business they can close up shop very quickly.
It works, also with me, own a Sub and a DSSD and don’t like swimming.

Btw the new iterations of Rolex models are much more rugged and suitable for the elements compared to the older ones. Shock and magnetic resistance has improved. Depth rating increased. Corrosion resistance for the SS watches and accuracy has improved.
Combine this with the sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and you end up with a very nice piece of jewelry.
Old 29 October 2020, 09:28 PM   #108
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Enjoy your watch and wear it. No issues with scratches and abrasions on the watches.
Old 29 October 2020, 10:05 PM   #109
EngIcedave
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB
I can fix it. My Dad's a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it.

Old 29 October 2020, 10:40 PM   #110
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Lol... i don't see anything
Old 29 October 2020, 11:10 PM   #111
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chueu99 View Post
Thanks for the swift replies.

Think a SS for daily would be a good idea.

Once the scratches get too many, do I repolish and replate?

One of the common misconceptions around here. The stone table that scratched your clasp will scratch your SS clasp as well. Just relax and enjoy your watch, my friend.
Old 29 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #112
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
There is no visible scratch.
I assume all four pages of responses advised you to ignore it, even if it was visible.
Old 30 October 2020, 02:52 AM   #113
Twinrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD|YG SUB
Just be aware of your surroundings with your PM watch...I know I am
Old 30 October 2020, 03:13 AM   #114
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I looked and couldn’t see it, then I reread the post, zoomed in a bit and looked again and couldn’t see it, then I reread the post again and zoomed in even more and I think I can see it.
I think you’re ok. Scratches are no fun, but it’s a gold clasp and it’s going to get many many more.
Shake it off and enjoy it!

十人十色
Old 30 October 2020, 03:16 AM   #115
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Owning a watch was already special. Even nowadays it will be a bridge too far for the vast majority of employees to buy any Rolex.

Did you know that DateJust with a fluted bezel is already around since 1940’s and this type of dressier bezel since 1920’s. Fluted bezel goes hand in hand with a luxury watch made to be jewelry.

The Rolex marketing department created this tool watch image which of course is a load of rubbish. We all can identify with the tough guys and that makes us feel good. Should Rolex depend on a few pro divers or pilots for their business they can close up shop very quickly.
It works, also with me, own a Sub and a DSSD and don’t like swimming.

Btw the new iterations of Rolex models are much more rugged and suitable for the elements compared to the older ones. Shock and magnetic resistance has improved. Depth rating increased. Corrosion resistance for the SS watches and accuracy has improved.
Combine this with the sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and you end up with a very nice piece of jewelry.
.................................................. ..........................
I must take exception. I have worked with numerous mechanics, welders, commercial divers, working photographers and other people who chose to spend the money on a Rolex. By the way, in the US today a plumber makes more money than most "professionals".
Old 30 October 2020, 03:20 AM   #116
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
Please.take.a.picture.of.the.scratch.
Old 30 October 2020, 03:20 AM   #117
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

No, the point you're responding to was that in the past Rolex was LESS luxury, which is true.

Quote:
They can afford one if they want one, a used DJ for example is within most people's reach. Many of those blue collar workers and employees own new $40,000+ trucks that they really don't need, that quickly depreciate and that won't last a lifetime as a Rolex will.

Quote:
Those 'improvements' have added to the cost and added no practical value. My inherited 1985 DJ gets alone fine without them. How many Rolex owners go more than 10' deep underwater for example? Many Deep Sea owners going 12,000' deep?
Old 30 October 2020, 03:26 AM   #118
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueu99 View Post
What are my options?
You can buy an abrasive gum.
But here is what will definitely happen.

You are going to brush your watch, the place where the operation will certainly appear clearer, more lively, more shiny.
You will resume larger. The stain will get bigger.
A little annoyed, you will take it again 2 days later ... the result will be the same.
You will forget for a week and on the occasion of a red light, driving your car, you will see the place more clearly, thanks to a small ray of sunshine.
You will resume the work very slowly.
But there, under careful observation, you will notice that in the past week, your Rolex has taken a micro shock on the other side. You hadn't seen it before !!!!
Here, you're going to try to erase this one too! Was he there before or not ???

Morality:
Forget it, wear it, every day with pleasure, it will take hits and nothing serious.

In a while, you will take it to the after-sales service and it will come out like new ...
Stripes are part of the game, unless you admire them behind a window or stash them in a safe, they live with us and get old too.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Old 30 October 2020, 03:36 AM   #119
bmb15
Banned

You are all taken for a fool
119 posts until here -> To be STOPPED
Old 30 October 2020, 03:46 AM   #120
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

Not worth worrying about; it's going to happen on more than one occasion.
Closed Thread

Tags
first world problem , it's a watch