The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Emsflyer84
"TRF" Member

To Datejust Or Not To Datejust...

Hey guys, fairly new here, but been lurking for a while. I’ve got a date ceramic sub, and have the itch for another Rolex. For some reason I keep going back to a classic Datejust. I’m totally blue collar, work in tee shirts, sweat shirts, and rarely even wear a collar. I know the Datejust is billed as a very versatile watch, but I think I have a different idea of versatile then the people writing those reviews. To them, dressing down is a button up and a sweater. To me it’s tee shirt and jeans. I know I’m being overly broad here, but my dilemma is that I don’t want to drop 7k on a watch that I love, but doesn’t work for me day to day. I should just get it because I like it. And who cares what it goes with or doesn’t go with. I just can’t stand the thought of the watch ending up sitting in a box. Maybe I’m over thinking this and a Datejust is actually a great sports watch for everyday casual wear. I’d be looking at the 36mm with silver or white dial, classic stick indices. Thanks guys!
Emsflyer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:07 AM   #2
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

I have a DJII and wear jeans, t-shirts and/or polos during the week. On the weekend, I'm in gym shorts and t-shirts. DJII gets worn in all situations.

Get the watch!
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #3
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

I dont work in a very corporate environment at all, I think your overthinking it. You love the DJ so why not buy it? Wondering what clothing goes with the watch is simply silly to me. Cant go wrong with a DJ.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:10 AM   #4
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Get the oyster bracelet and smooth bezel and it'll be completely under the radar and look very casual
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:12 AM   #5
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
My daily at home watch and to the grocery store is basketball shorts and a t shirt. I find myself going back to my Exp II and my Sub. Although my wife will tell me my TT YM and TT Daytona both look great in tshirt and shorts. She does however tell me that she doesn’t like my BLNR when I’m so casual (the jubilee doesn’t really fit she says). So while I think a DJ is fine, maybe narrow it down to the oyster bracelet versions.

And I personally would recommend the Exp II polar if you like it. I keep finding myself enjoying this watch so much more than I expected. Even moreso than the Daytona and the BLNR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:12 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Buy what you like. I have worn a DJ2 with shorts on the beach or even with sweatpants. The DJ is THE most popular Rolex design for a reason.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:44 AM   #7
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Get it with the oyster if you want to make it a little bit sportier (of course it is perfect with oyster or jubilee)

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:48 AM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsflyer84 View Post
Hey guys, fairly new here, but been lurking for a while. I’ve got a date ceramic sub, and have the itch for another Rolex. For some reason I keep going back to a classic Datejust. I’m totally blue collar, work in tee shirts, sweat shirts, and rarely even wear a collar. I know the Datejust is billed as a very versatile watch, but I think I have a different idea of versatile then the people writing those reviews. To them, dressing down is a button up and a sweater. To me it’s tee shirt and jeans. I know I’m being overly broad here, but my dilemma is that I don’t want to drop 7k on a watch that I love, but doesn’t work for me day to day. I should just get it because I like it. And who cares what it goes with or doesn’t go with. I just can’t stand the thought of the watch ending up sitting in a box. Maybe I’m over thinking this and a Datejust is actually a great sports watch for everyday casual wear. I’d be looking at the 36mm with silver or white dial, classic stick indices. Thanks guys!

Think indeed you are overthinking it. If many wear the precious metals Daydate on any attire don’t see how the ss Datejust would not serve you too in anything from shorts and flip flops to a Tuxedo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:50 AM   #9
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

I do think the oyster vs. jubilee bracelet is the determining versatility. Just my personal opinion, but the oyster bracelet makes it much more versatile. The jubilee is awesome and comfortable but if you err more on the casual side I'd go oyster.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 12:51 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think it's fine for casual wear. But if it is something you think may bother you or make you self conscious maybe consider an OP41. The bushed bracelet and lack of date/cyclops make it less formal. Save some $$ that way too. Just my 2c.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:01 AM   #11
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsflyer84 View Post
...Maybe I’m over thinking this and a Datejust is actually a great sports watch for everyday casual wear.
This.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:03 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think it's fine for casual wear. But if it is something you think may bother you or make you self conscious maybe consider an OP41. The bushed bracelet and lack of date/cyclops make it less formal. Save some $$ that way too. Just my 2c.

I agree. I have the datejust 41 blue jubilee and fluted. If you are going smooth and oyster, would take a serious look at the OP41 if you are going casual anyways. Plus the OP already has the date on the sub, would make a perfect pair. The OP mentioned jeans, also would look at the blue dial, very good complement. Finally, OP you will save $ as well, will get you under 7k, low to mid 6k after taxes depending on where you live.
Old 30 October 2020, 01:23 AM   #13
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I wear a DJ41/Smooth/Rhodium/Jubilee everywhere, its been on the beach, up in the fells, in the pub, out to dinner, under a cuff, in fact its been everywhere. Its all about you, see if you can get to an AD and try on a DJ with an Oyster and a Jubilee, see which bracelet works best for you, then select the dial and the the bezel.

IMHO if the the watch is going to be a wear everywhere watch then go smooth, the fluted maybe a bit OTT for a more casual look. (I am now going to be shot down in flames by those who own DJ's with fluted bezels who wear their watches everywhere).

Enjoy the hunt for the perfect DJ.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:28 AM   #14
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Stick with fluted bezel... makes the watch
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #15
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’ll be your inspiration for casual and a DJ ....lol! T shirt and jeans for me almost always
Seriously...don’t overthink it...DJ is good to go in most any situation or attire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:32 AM   #16
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

heck yeah!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:35 AM   #17
Kendle19
"TRF" Member

I have the DJ36 fluted, jubilee on a blue dial. I wear it everyday with jeans/t-shirt combo and I love it. If you want one, get one - I promise you won't regret it!
Kendle19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:44 AM   #18
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Rolex DJ36

I think with the situation we are in nowadays (the madness of stainless steel sport watches), people forget how versatile a DJ 36 can be. It can be dressed up or down, formal or casual. Instantly recognisable and will always be the quintessential Rolex. I myself have 4 Date34/Datejust36 collection presently, 2 with the blue dial (126200 and 126234) but I don't regret buying a Datejust.

Rolex Collection.JPG

Rolex DJ 36.jpg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:48 AM   #19
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
I have a DJII and wear jeans, t-shirts and/or polos during the week. On the weekend, I'm in gym shorts and t-shirts. DJII gets worn in all situations.

Get the watch!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #20
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
All depends on you attitude. It is just a watch after all.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 01:57 AM   #21
straden
"TRF" Member

steel DJ with jubilee + fluted, heck i even would wear two tone with jeans
straden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:12 AM   #22
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I agree. I have the datejust 41 blue jubilee and fluted. If you are going smooth and oyster, would take a serious look at the OP41 if you are going casual anyways. Plus the OP already has the date on the sub, would make a perfect pair. The OP mentioned jeans, also would look at the blue dial, very good complement. Finally, OP you will save $ as well, will get you under 7k, low to mid 6k after taxes depending on where you live.
Yep, certainly a good option. That's what appealed to me with the OP41.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #23
campfire
"TRF" Member

OP, the DJ41, especially smooth/oyster and the minutes on the outer track wears on the sporty side. At least to me.

And for reference, I'm always only in jeans and polo or shorts and a T. Sneakers. So I'm pretty dressed down in that context.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the decision.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:50 AM   #24
DirtyD732
"TRF" Member

Works for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7DCC3835-0B42-4327-BB0C-C0D13611BFFB.jpeg (75.6 KB, 940 views)
DirtyD732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:16 AM   #25
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
The DJ is THE original sports watch. Tough, shock resistant, waterproof and with a date - the ultimate GADA watch.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:04 AM   #26
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Buy what you want. I wear a freaking YG DD40 with tee shirt and shorts. It a watch, don’t overthink it.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 04:26 AM   #27
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’m a GMT guy through and through until I bought my first DJ2.

Now I’ve got four of them!

The Datejust isn’t Rolex’s best selling watch without good reason.

Buy the one that’s right for you and you’ll be wearing a classic lifetime watch. In all honesty, a Datejust does it all perfectly.

My late father wore his DJ for 46 years straight, pretty much every day and it’s still going strong even now and more a classic than ever.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:12 AM   #28
Kino888
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
I was going through the same debate. I’m a pretty casual dresser. And I wanted something I can wear everyday. The comments on here to “buy what you like” miss the point. It’s hard to know how you will feel about something until you wear it in many situations. The DJ36 I think is extremely versatile. Especially with the dome bezel and oyster bracelet. I got the jubilee because I have an omega with a more sporty, brushed bracelet. A new DJ can be a little on the shinny side for your only watch. You could get an older DJ with brushed lugs or you could get another watch in addition to the DJ that you could wear when you don’t feel like shinning.
Kino888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:28 AM   #29
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I’ll be your inspiration for casual and a DJ ....lol! T shirt and jeans for me almost always
Seriously...don’t overthink it...DJ is good to go in most any situation or attire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s Jeep thing!

nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:34 AM   #30
shipitfresh
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
I have a SSDJ41 fluted with a white stix dial. It's been worn playing tennis, mountain biking, out to dinner and with a tux. It's so classic, it can go anywhere and fit in perfectly. The owner of the company I am sales manager at has a daughter who is in sales management at Harry Winston. She loves my watch. Always complementing on it...
shipitfresh is offline   Reply With Quote