The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Chrisbuer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon.

I'be been eying up this for a while but can't work out whether to pull the trigger or not? The thing putting me off is the manual wind but apart from that, I LOVE the watch!

Does anyone on here have one? Can you you and feedback? Does the manual wind last long enough?

Chrisbuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 11:59 PM   #2
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
I haven’t looked at the specs but would imagine you’ll get at least 48 hours out of a full wind but in reality will probably end up winding daily.

It’s a lovely piece, the only thing I’d have reservations about would be the increased size. The 42mm wear smaller, I would need to try in on to ensure this one does.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 12:50 AM   #3
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Once you have over a certain amount of watches they all become manual winds anyways unless you use a winder. I have a feeling the manual wind wouldn’t bother you at all.
PhilLynott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 01:04 AM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
The reserve is approx 2 days like many other speedies. I had one for awhile and enjoyed it although it was a little too big for me. Eventually I sold it for that reason. These weAr thin for the 44mm lone due to the manual wind movement.

If the size suits you, I thoroughly recommend. These look terrific on the omega NATO’s too.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 03:49 AM   #5
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Love my Apollo 8. My favorite and only omega. As soon as it came out, I knew I had to have it as i love the black and yellow color combo, movement, unique, skeleton, 50th anniversary, lume, and size as the 42mm versions to me wear small. Some watches I prefer manual wind, and the speedy is one of those. Btw, the crown is not screw down, so a few turns every morning is a breeze.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
If you like the look, it’s a great watch, does not wear as large as it’s rated size, and it’s easier to wind than a Moonwatch. I have tested my Apollo 8 and Moonwatch for power reserve, apart from some decoration they are both the same movement and both come in a little above 52 hours of power reserve.

I think it’s a great, unique looking watch, and wears comfortably. Most of my watches are automatic and with date displays, and I like the ease of setting a dateless watch, and I like interacting with my watches so winding daily is no problem.

Would it be my one and only watch? No, I’d probably go for an automatic with date and better water resistance just for convenience and versatility sake if I were to settle for one watch, but the Apollo 8 will fit comfortably in a small collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E98826B1-6BC1-40AD-9FE4-0B5FF325F2A7.jpeg (265.2 KB, 385 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 07:16 PM   #7
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
It is a great watch, very high on the cool factor. Tried it on and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was offered one shortly after for what most people would this is an amazing price but I passed. It is hard to read and I'm not big on manual watches in general. In a rotation of other watches it is simply not practical for me, I would end up not wearing it. Also I think the novelty would have worn off by now and I would have ended up selling it, so I'm kind of glad I passed on it and save the time and hassle.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:11 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Love the look of it, very high cool factor. But like you I am not a fan of the manual wind. I thought it was neat on my Speedy Pro at first but then I got tired of it. I have a winder and I've wound my automatic Speedmaster exactly one time in over three months.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:46 AM   #9
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

I don’t have one but it sure looks great)
I have other manual wind watches, after a while winding up becomes a daily habit and doesn’t bother you anymore)
Hope that helps
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:20 AM   #10
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

I liked the look, but found it to be a little on the large size for me.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 04:19 AM   #11
Stripiest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
I have one of these from just after they started to be available (so about coming up to fifteen or sixteen months now). It is beautiful, and I don't find the manual winding a hassle. I agree with what others have said about the power reserve, but if it's a daily wearer, just incorporate winding it daily into your routine. Keeps excellent time.
Stripiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 05:14 AM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Well Chris, have you made the plunge yet?

I had one of these. Really cool watch, wears nicely, easy to wind. I had to sell it because for me and my tiny svelte child-like wrists (6.25") it was just too big, and I had trouble seeing the hands sometimes, to tell the time. That was really my only complaint.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote