The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #1
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Advice for a seller

Hoping some seasoned sellers can help me here, I am selling an old GILT dial

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=742947

had a guy from Italy with a low post count reach out to me, he made an offer, I asked him what his preferred payment method is, he said paypal - fine, as long as he has some references. He provided a previous trusted seller on here who hasn't logged on for a while, I spoke to him on whatsapp and traded a PM on him here, and he verified the guy - all good.

He pays via paypal F&F, money is sitting in my paypal now, but the money came from another name, I asked him who that was - and he said it was his mother who has died.

I'm a little concerned here - should I back out of this deal and refund the money? It just doesn't feel right.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:34 PM   #2
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Using his dead mothers account sounds more than fishy.

It doesn‘t make sense for anyone from Italy to buy from Australia because everything that is coming from there will be subject to 22% tax.

If I where you, I‘d simply refund the payment and move on.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:51 PM   #3
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

The decision is yours, but let me give you a story what happened to me....

Sold some carbon bicycle wheels.
Buyer paid with paypal goods and added the 4% fees.
I shipped them and 2 months after the fact, I get money yanked from my account.

The buyer opened a claim and declared to paypal that I sold him counterfeit wheels.
This wasn’t the case, but as a result Paypal tied up my money for the better part of a month while I collected the proof that wheels were legit and seller was fraudulently abusing paypal’s system.

I got my money back, but don’t take paypal from anyone ever again.
It works for many - but so many things can go sideways and with the info you have shared I would suspect something sideways to follow
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:55 PM   #4
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Third warning sign - when I shared a google drive of extra images of the dial, it was opened by a third email account that he wasn't using to communicate with me, for a total of three email addresses all up.

I don't think he's a scammer, but also I'm pretty sure a good scammer would make you think that.

I think I'll refund and offer him to wire the money - I have a back up buyer who approached me whilst this was OHPF (he actually offered more money to try and gazump the original buyer), but I turned him down, as a deals a deal.
Old 19 May 2020, 10:05 PM   #5
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Third warning sign - when I shared a google drive of extra images of the dial, it was opened by a third email account that he wasn't using to communicate with me, for a total of three email addresses all up.

I don't think he's a scammer, but also I'm pretty sure a good scammer would make you think that.

I think I'll refund and offer him to wire the money - I have a back up buyer who approached me whilst this was OHPF (he actually offered more money to try and gazump the original buyer), but I turned him down, as a deals a deal.
I read this earlier this morning, and found too many red flags with the buyer. I'd refund his money and do what you suggested: wire the money.

Also, I respect your steady hand in not accepting the higher offer and keeping your word to the deal.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 11:03 PM   #6
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the comments guys, here's the outcome.

I feel pretty bad, but I don't want to get scammed.
Old 20 May 2020, 12:54 AM   #7
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

Extremely wise.
Even if it was somehow legit.... the exposure to something sideways after the fact just isn’t worth the headache.

Gut feelings materialize for a reason
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:58 AM   #8
barneb10
"TRF" Member

You did the right thing.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:31 AM   #9
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSlingshot View Post
The decision is yours, but let me give you a story what happened to me....

Sold some carbon bicycle wheels.
Buyer paid with paypal goods and added the 4% fees.
I shipped them and 2 months after the fact, I get money yanked from my account.

The buyer opened a claim and declared to paypal that I sold him counterfeit wheels.
This wasn’t the case, but as a result Paypal tied up my money for the better part of a month while I collected the proof that wheels were legit and seller was fraudulently abusing paypal’s system.

I got my money back, but don’t take paypal from anyone ever again.
It works for many - but so many things can go sideways and with the info you have shared I would suspect something sideways to follow

I’ve experienced similar issues with PP and makes me want to stay away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 03:37 AM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea to be honest giving 3k with all that damage is probably trying to scam you
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 08:50 AM   #11
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

Just get a death certificate for the mother, have it translated from Italian to verify its accurate, trace the random emails he’s using .... actually, on balance, maybe just don’t do the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 04:44 PM   #12
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks a lot guys, after sleeping on it I know I've done the right thing. As the for sale rules say 'if not 100 percent comfortable' don't go forward. I am in no way convinced that the buyer was a scammer (in fact I think it more likely than not he is legitimate based on the reference check), but I can't afford to gamble on the 5 percent.
Old 20 May 2020, 10:10 PM   #13
frommer
"TRF" Member

You did the right thing. Let me tell you this. In my case, 99% of the offers that came from Italy were a scam. I've seen it all in the past few months, an invalid phone numbers supported only by the WhatsApp, countless hotmail accounts, the funniest were Arab natives with a thick Italian accent. I don't say that everyone has to stay away from Italy, but you should be very cautious. The worst will be losing your money, the least you will waste your precious time.
frommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #14
twsti321
Banned

A deal is not a deal, I was going to meet up the buyer from this forum, I told the seller let me up at his local police station to do the trans action, I out reach him with my phone number. I havent buy any watches from this forum for a long period of time so the forum rules must of change so it life time of banned me, so the buyer thought I was a scammer, the buyer didnt out reach to me. Personally I was thing to do the road trip about 4 hours away, so the deal isnt a deal until is in you hands!
twsti321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:37 AM   #15
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Advice for a seller

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, after sleeping on it I know I've done the right thing. As the for sale rules say 'if not 100 percent comfortable' don't go forward. I am in no way convinced that the buyer was a scammer (in fact I think it more likely than not he is legitimate based on the reference check), but I can't afford to gamble on the 5 percent.

Good decision.

Since you asked for advice, let me share some forward looking advice.

PayPal is useless if anyone violates their policies.

He was using a deceased family member’s account.

You were bypassing seller fees by allowing F&F.

Both would’ve been high and dry if either of you felt scammed later.

Not judgmental on my part, just sharing in the spirit of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote