The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2020, 11:08 PM   #1
YYR
"TRF" Member

321 movement.

I’m new to the omega forum so excuse me if this was discussed.
My question is what do you guys think of the new steel speedmaster with the 321 movement? I know it’s historic but are they overcharging for that watch? I don’t see how they are charging 2 1/2 times the price as moonwatch, now I don’t really understand the movement so maybe I’m missing something and it’s more complicated and finely finished, but is it?
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:09 AM   #2
ree7
"TRF" Member

To me the launch is targeted to be a nostalgic piece. Sort of like if BMW simply announce they'll be making a limited batch of new E30 M3s using original blueprints. It's bound to be expensive. It's not meant for everyone. But some will buy it without considering the price. And it's also not to be compared with the current base-model 3-series (current mass-produced 1861 Moonwatch).
The original vintage Ed White 321s are currently trading in a similar price range anyway. So through the new 321 Omega is trying to offer those who've never considered buying well-worn vintage watches to buy a 'new' vintage piece. At a similar price point.
ree7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No, it’s not over priced, though expensive. They had to put a great deal of time and effort into bring this movement back and will likely be making very few as a result. The movement has been used by PP and the like. It’s also far more legible and significant than the Daytona as well.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 01:27 AM   #4
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

If buy one tomorrow if i had the chance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:23 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I love it. Seriously considering chopping in my FOIS and getting one instead as it is EVERYTHING I want in a Speedie.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:40 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I hate to say it but I don't really care what's on the inside of the watch as long as it keeps good time. No way would I pay what they are asking for that piece, but I do understand that for others it's a big deal.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 05:16 AM   #7
RicZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I hate to say it but I don't really care what's on the inside of the watch as long as it keeps good time. No way would I pay what they are asking for that piece, but I do understand that for others it's a big deal.
I tell my watch friends I am like an engine guy when it comes to cars. They show me the car and I say pop the hood let's see the engine. I am the same with watches. I usually pick the movement and then try and find a watch that appeals to me on the outside with that movement. I Had to reply since you have a 392 hemi in your signature.
RicZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 06:26 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicZen View Post
I tell my watch friends I am like an engine guy when it comes to cars. They show me the car and I say pop the hood let's see the engine. I am the same with watches. I usually pick the movement and then try and find a watch that appeals to me on the outside with that movement. I Had to reply since you have a 392 hemi in your signature.
I hear ya. On most watches you can't pop the hood. Is this model going to have a display caseback? I hope so.

I have a Grand Cherokee SRT. The 392 is a blast!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 06:38 AM   #9
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I hear ya. On most watches you can't pop the hood. Is this model going to have a display caseback? I hope so.

I have a Grand Cherokee SRT. The 392 is a blast!
Yes, the plan is to include a display caseback...however I would have liked to see a solid caseback and Hesalite crystal in keeping with the original.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:37 AM   #10
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

You can't not show off that stunning movement. I know people like the idea of retaining originality on these types of watches but i think they can be excused for wanting to show it off on all its glory.

Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:39 AM   #11
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
You can't not show off that stunning movement. I know people like the idea of retaining originality on these types of watches but i think they can be excused for wanting to show it off on all its glory.

I agree, perhaps Omega can ship it with two backs?
Old 20 May 2020, 02:43 PM   #12
cfracing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I agree, perhaps Omega can ship it with two backs?
But you are still stuck with the sapphire crystal.
cfracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 12:48 AM   #13
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfracing View Post
But you are still stuck with the sapphire crystal.
True...if possible, it would be nice if Omega included a hesalite spare as an option.
Old 21 May 2020, 01:40 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I love it. Seriously considering chopping in my FOIS and getting one instead as it is EVERYTHING I want in a Speedie.
Gorgeous piece and I agree re EVERYTHING I want in a Speedie, except for the color of the lume. I have avoided any fauxtina like the plague so far. On this one it looks ok and I get the point, but I am afraid I might keep thinking how much more I'd like it if the lume was white.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 01:43 AM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I'm excited to get one. To me it's expensive but not outrageously out of line for what you are getting. It's a great movement with historic relevance.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 04:17 AM   #16
brnn
"TRF" Member

The problem is you can get a real pre-moon era 321 movement Speedmaster for less. I realize the new one is new, gold plated, display back, etc, but it's a tough call imho.
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote