The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 November 2019, 11:04 AM   #1
crawlspacestefan
"TRF" Member

Incoming: My First Speedmaster

Almost four years ago I bought a Submariner to celebrate a milestone birthday. At the time, I thought I was a one watch guy. Since then, though, I've been shopping (or maybe dreaming, if I'm being more honest) non-stop.

Well, I recently achieved a pretty important professional milestone and I wanted to celebrate and commemorate it with a new watch. I'd had a lot of different pieces in mind, and somehow in the end it was between a Speedmaster or NOMOS World Timer.

Well, over the last few years I've tried on Speedmasters a great deal and they always sung to me to some extent. I trusted my gut and decided to go with the Omega.

Then it came down to which specific iteration. I'd always been drawn to the FOIS, but I think a large part of that was due to my relative dislike of the bracelet turning me off the Pro sort of right away. So, I went to the AD, laid out the sapphire, hesalite and FOIS (imagine being able to do that with Rolex these days?!) and started absolutely agonizing.

The sapphire was out pretty quickly. I'm a bit of a boring traditionalist, and I thought the tone of the dial through the hesalite was more attractive. Not to even mention how cool the domed crystal is. So then it was between the FOIS and the hesalite Pro.

Oof. It was tough. Eventually I just made a somewhat arbitrary call and went with the Pro (refer back to boring traditionalist), figuring it'd be hard to ever regret a classic.

Feeling pretty good so far! I still quite don't like the bracelet aesthetically or to the touch. It doesn't have the same solid feel of the Oyster and is quite noisy in the end links. But that's all fine because I've ordered a Bulang & Sons strap that should be here any day (was supposed to arrive today, actually - and yet...). I feel like I won't fully appreciate the Speedmaster until I switch it to the strap. I've always found it the most attractive on leather, and I can't wait to look down at my own wrist and see that!

Anyways, enough words - here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedybook.jpg (209.8 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg wrist1.jpg (212.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg wristglove1.jpg (215.6 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg subspeedytable.jpg (259.6 KB, 391 views)
crawlspacestefan is offline   Reply With Quote