The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2020, 10:29 PM   #1
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Any Ball Watch Owners?

I know there are some here who will snicker at the name and make coarse comments because of it; so it goes. There are some in every group. Ball watch was founded by Webb C. Ball in the late 1800s in response to what was then quite a tragedy caused almost solely by a rail road workers failed watch resulting in a train collision. W. C. Ball took on the responsibility of making certain that RR workers watches met standards which prevented a recurrence of the fatal accident. Below is a lengthy quote from the Ball Watch website.

Quote:
To a large extent, the development of the watch industry in America can be attributed to the advent and subsequent development of American railroads. Prior to the advent of trains as a means of transporting people and goods, there was no real need for precise timekeeping or uniform time. Even after the railroad system in the United States had reached significant proportions following the Civil War, communities continued to maintain their local times. By the end of 1883, the railroad industry had agreed, at least among themselves, to divide the nation into four time zones and had adopted Standard Time. The public soon followed suit, although it is interesting to note that the Congress did not officially sanction the concept until 1918. In 1996, Cleveland, Ohio, celebrated the bicentennial of the founding of the city on the lake. During this celebration, many individuals were remembered and recognized as Cleveland's favorite sons, and their accomplishments were reviewed. One Clevelander honored, whose accomplishments reached international acclaim, not only for his civic contributions, but also for his place in horology, was Webster Clay Ball. Webb C. Ball was born in Fredericktown, Ohio on October 6, 1847. When Standard Time was adopted in 1883, he was the first jeweler to use time signals, bringing accurate time to Cleveland. On July 19, 1891, the General Superintendent of Lake Shore Lines appointed Webb C. Ball as Chief Inspector for the lines. His early inspection system was the beginning of the vast Ball network that would encompass 75% of the railroads throughout the country and cover at least 175,000 miles of railroad. Webb C. Ball also extended his system into Mexico and Canada.

On April 19, 1891 the Fast Mail train known as No. 4 was coming west on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad in Kipton, Ohio. At Elyria, 25 miles from Cleveland, the Engineer and the Conductor of the Accomodation were given orders to let the fast mail train pass them at Kipton, a small station west of Oberlin, the University town. As the Conductor of Accomodation admitted afterward, from the time the train left Elyria until it collided with the Fast Mail at Kipton, he did not take his watch out of his pocket. He said that he supposed the Engineer would look out for Fast Mail No. 4. But the Engineer's watch stopped for four minutes and then began running again, a little matter of life and death of which he was unconscious. There were several stations between Elyria and Kipton, but the Engineer pounded slowly along in the belief that he had time to spare. Leaving Oberlin, the Engineer supposed he had seven minutes before reaching the meeting point. Of course he only had three minutes. Had the Conductor looked at his own watch he could have prevented the accident. The trains came together at Kipton, the Fast Mail at full speed and the Accomodation under brakes, because it was nearing the station. The Engineers of both trains were killed, and the dead bodies of nine clerks were taken from the kindling wood and broken iron of the postal cars.

The Kipton Disaster prompted the Lake Shore officials to enlist Webb C. Ball to investigate Time and Watch conditions throughout the Lake Shore Line and develop an inspection system for their implementation. Webb C. Ball set about immediately and put in place fortnightly checks on the watches worn by all railroad workers. The checks were carried out by approved watchmakers. Ball set strict standards, forbidding variations more than 30 seconds among the watches. It is important to recognize and applaud Webb C. Ball for designing the first successful system that was accepted on a broad scale. It was his system that set the standard for railroads; it was his system that helped establish accuracy and uniformity in timekeeping. It was his system that resulted in railroad time and railroad watches being recognized as STANDARD, whenever accuracy in time was required. In general, it became accepted that when the average person asks a railroad man the time, he is assured a correct answer.

Today, BALL Watch is one of the most respected and established watch brands in the United States. We continue to update the product range in the 21st century to keep pace with shifting consumer patterns. But, despite changes in appearance, the founding spirit of the brand - industrial function - is never compromised. It is upheld in Ball's original details, such as the watch dial that faithfully follows his design guidelines for the standard railway watch. Every detail, from the shape of the hands to the style of the numerals, was laid down by the founder in his quest for accuracy in timekeeping. It is a vision that the Ball family remains faithful to. For legions of men and women today whose split-second decisions keep the world ticking, it is a shared commitment.

BALL Watch - Since 1891, accuracy under adverse conditions

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:38 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

The more I become familiar with Ball Watch and their watches the more I'm impressed. It was the Tritium powered lumes that first brought the company to my attention. Their history and tradition has won me over. They seem to be a very innovative company stepping beyond the norm in the watch industry. They are innovative in lumes, anti shock development, use of material (now 904L steel), anti magnetism, crown protection, deployant clasps, in-house movements (80 hour reserve COSC) and design.

https://www.ballwatch.com/global/en/technology.html

Old 12 January 2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Used to own a Ball Aero GMT. Great watch, although I could never get along w/ the bracelet. Too many sharp edges and it amplified the sharp bottom lugs on the wrist as well.

However, on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber nato it was sweet! Very accurate, easy to read, and really cool to view the glow on redeye flights.

Alas, I sold it to buy the Tudor GMT and happy with that decision.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF Ball.jpg (189.0 KB, 420 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:51 PM   #4
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Had a limited edition Hydrocarbon Alligator back in the day. Didn’t get much wrist time so sold it but they are very good watch for the money. That one was a beast!

Love the tritium tube numerals.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:47 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Any Ball Watch Owners?

For me I've got two. One is a Ball for BMW which doesn't have too much going for it other than the BMW logo on the dial. The other is Ball Marvelight which I find very comparable to a DJ (40mm) with much better lume. It's a nice solid watch on the wrist.

Old 14 January 2020, 04:37 PM   #6
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My Ball watch is my movie night watch or anywhere else that I might need lume without a charge.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:55 PM   #7
SydR
"TRF" Member

I only became aware of the brand in the pas12 months.

Picked up an Engineer Hydrocarbon GMT a couple of months ago.

SydR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Andad

Watch: A few.
This was my choice.

Ball Fireman II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8ED5D5FD-9FA7-40A0-A253-2951BF63D8D4.jpeg (260.2 KB, 363 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:56 PM   #9
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
I love the history of Ball Watches. I've owned a number of them. Currently have two - the Trainmaster Moonphase and Pilot GMT. I love the tritium, especially of the glowing moon!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:43 PM   #10
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I had many Ball watches and missed them all, really enjoyed having them and was my favorite mid tier watch brand.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 09:49 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Don’t really know much about them to be honest Lee, but thanks for the post. I’ll be checking them out
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:22 AM   #12
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I have owned a bunch of Balls. In fact, I would guess that I am the Baller on this site.
My first was a Ball for BMW GMT. I have since added the same GMT in DLC and have added the BMW Chronograph in both steel and DLC.
I also have a Fireman Racer in DLC, the one with the Orange numbers.
I owned an orange NECC but that particular bracelet never won me over and felt too sharp in certain spots.
I also own a Fireman Racer with the white dial and blue numbers.
Oh, and I have a Ball LE Power Reserve with a slick suede band. That's a nice one.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 08:13 AM   #13
RBSeattle
"TRF" Member

I like Ball a lot, more so of the history. Some of their designs really like while others, not so much. They do excel in a few areas like their tritium tubes.
RBSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 10:40 PM   #14
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Picked up a Ball Marvelight and sold my Rolex GMT. I love the tritium dial and being able to see it at night without having to charge it. Its a very well built watch for a very good price if you shop around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbc.jpg (234.8 KB, 318 views)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 11:13 AM   #15
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19 Hey Buddy, "Are you on the ball...?"

Hey Buddy, "Are you on the ball...?"

Where did that saying come from. A few searches that it means: someone is on the ball, they are alert and deal with things quickly and intelligently

But, as I was looking to spend my millions on a new watches, an older Salesman approached me and began talking about Ball watches. At one point he asked me if I knew where the saying came from... I had never really thought about it. He tells me in the old days when Trains were prominent, that Conductors and people who ran the train needed an accurate measure of time, and that When you asked someone if, "they were on the Ball," it meant to say are you using a Ball Watch, the RR Train Standard, so that they knew you had accurate time keeping.

So, who knows if true, but a cute story none-the-less, and yes I also am looking for a Ball to add to my collection...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 09:28 PM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Hey Buddy, "Are you on the ball...?"

Where did that saying come from. A few searches that it means: someone is on the ball, they are alert and deal with things quickly and intelligently

But, as I was looking to spend my millions on a new watches, an older Salesman approached me and began talking about Ball watches. At one point he asked me if I knew where the saying came from... I had never really thought about it. He tells me in the old days when Trains were prominent, that Conductors and people who ran the train needed an accurate measure of time, and that When you asked someone if, "they were on the Ball," it meant to say are you using a Ball Watch, the RR Train Standard, so that they knew you had accurate time keeping.

So, who knows if true, but a cute story none-the-less, and yes I also am looking for a Ball to add to my collection...
That is my understanding as well that "being on the Ball" came from Ball watches as did the whole idea of having watches certified for accuracy, ie COSC. That's pretty significant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I have owned a bunch of Balls. In fact, I would guess that I am the Baller on this site.
My first was a Ball for BMW GMT. I have since added the same GMT in DLC and have added the BMW Chronograph in both steel and DLC.
I also have a Fireman Racer in DLC, the one with the Orange numbers.
I owned an orange NECC but that particular bracelet never won me over and felt too sharp in certain spots.
I also own a Fireman Racer with the white dial and blue numbers.
Oh, and I have a Ball LE Power Reserve with a slick suede band. That's a nice one.
Very coo!!! I'm new to the brand having first become aware of them about five years ago. I'm currently waiting for this one now in preproduction. It will be #1/1000 and has a ceramic bezel insert. (the second picture below is of another model and is an example of their engraving process).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Picked up a Ball Marvelight and sold my Rolex GMT. I love the tritium dial and being able to see it at night without having to charge it. Its a very well built watch for a very good price if you shop around.
Jim, I had no idea you were on this forum as well!!! Good seeing you weigh in!!!! Enjoy your Marvelight. I love mine!!! Yours is 904L; mine is 316L. Congrats again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Don’t really know much about them to be honest Lee, but thanks for the post. I’ll be checking them out
There are some really nice models!!! I think they are at least on par with Tudor in quality. They're tritium tube usage makes them a step ahead imho.

Old 20 January 2020, 01:37 PM   #17
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Almost got a Marvalight II white dial but chose a Breitling over it. Will definitely consider the Marvalight in the future.

Love the history of the Ball brand.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:58 AM   #18
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
While I love ball, selling a Rolex GMT for a Ball Marvelight seems odd to me. We must be missing something.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:19 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
While I love ball, selling a Rolex GMT for a Ball Marvelight seems odd to me. We must be missing something.
It could be simply that Jim tired of the GMT and thought of better ways to use his money. Not all that strange. I've no use for a GMT as I have and ExpII. Also love the Marvelight as it has lume that actually works all the time. Some of us are watch users and not only collectors. I woke this morning with the Marvelight on my wrist glaring in my face and thought, "damn, that's bright." It's hard to appreciate working tritium if one's never owned a watch with it.

Old 22 January 2020, 03:55 AM   #20
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It could be simply that Jim tired of the GMT and thought of better ways to use his money. Not all that strange. I've no use for a GMT as I have and ExpII. Also love the Marvelight as it has lume that actually works all the time. Some of us are watch users and not only collectors. I woke this morning with the Marvelight on my wrist glaring in my face and thought, "damn, that's bright." It's hard to appreciate working tritium if one's never owned a watch with it.
I like GMTs. I also have an Explorer II that gets the most wrist time along with an Omega Good Planet GMT, and an IWC Ingenieur dual time, and a few Ball's which are also GMTs.
I consider myself a watch user, not a collector at all.

The tritium is amazing. My Rolex datejust II, which was my first Rolex has atrocious lume. The expII is better, but still not at the level of Ball's.
Old 25 January 2020, 05:03 AM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I like GMTs. I also have an Explorer II that gets the most wrist time along with an Omega Good Planet GMT, and an IWC Ingenieur dual time, and a few Ball's which are also GMTs.
I consider myself a watch user, not a collector at all.

The tritium is amazing. My Rolex datejust II, which was my first Rolex has atrocious lume. The expII is better, but still not at the level of Ball's.
The distinction is that collectors might keep watches regardless if they actually use or wear them. For me I only collect watches I'll use. The modern GMTs are too large for me. It's good to get rid of what doesn't work.

Old 3 February 2020, 08:20 AM   #22
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

This is so insanely timely and much appreciated. Thanks, HogwoldFLTR for starting this thread, as well as to all of you who've chimed in. I actually started researching this brand yesterday because I'm looking for a vacation watch that IDGAF what happens to when I'm abroad. It seems like great value for the money and I agree with y'all about the history and tritium. My question is the quality of the bracelets. For those of you who have/had them, are the bracelets well made? Since we're all Rolex guys/gals and fans of the 904L and quality of the Oyster and jubilee, how do the Ball bracelets wear? Thank you!
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 09:50 AM   #23
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmk416 View Post
This is so insanely timely and much appreciated. Thanks, HogwoldFLTR for starting this thread, as well as to all of you who've chimed in. I actually started researching this brand yesterday because I'm looking for a vacation watch that IDGAF what happens to when I'm abroad. It seems like great value for the money and I agree with y'all about the history and tritium. My question is the quality of the bracelets. For those of you who have/had them, are the bracelets well made? Since we're all Rolex guys/gals and fans of the 904L and quality of the Oyster and jubilee, how do the Ball bracelets wear? Thank you!
The bracelets are as robust and over engineered as the watches. I personally found the Engineer Hydrocarbon bracelet unwearable due to the sharp edges of both the bracelet and the underside of the lugs. Cured that w/ a rubber nato as I stated in an earlier post. It's all subjective as many find them perfectly comfortable.

I have no experience with other Ball references but would imagine you'd be happy with the quality.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 10:56 PM   #24
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Great info, Dan...thank you. That’s insightful because since both brands use 904L, there clearly must be disparities in the steel’s craftsmanship that the wearer can feel. I’m having a tough time finding pics of their bracelets (clasps, too); although Tim at WatchBox Studios did a good review on YouTube. I’m definitely going to think about it more and likely won’t make a move until post-Basel (hoping for a Bluesy Sea-Dweller and would be pissed at myself if I threw away $3K on something else haha). Thanks again.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:11 AM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've absolutely no issue with wearing the bracelet. I find a similar issue with theirs as with the Tudor bracelets as the corners are a little sharp where one grips to open the bracelet. I find the bracelets absolutely comfortable to wear.

Old 18 February 2020, 12:48 AM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That is my understanding as well that "being on the Ball" came from Ball watches as did the whole idea of having watches certified for accuracy, ie COSC. That's pretty significant!!

Very coo!!! I'm new to the brand having first become aware of them about five years ago. I'm currently waiting for this one now in preproduction. It will be #1/1000 and has a ceramic bezel insert. (the second picture below is of another model and is an example of their engraving process).

There are some really nice models!!! I think they are at least on par with Tudor in quality. They're tritium tube usage makes them a step ahead imho.
It came to my attention that the watch which I've pre-ordered has an unusual flaw. It has 72 second per minute and 72 minutes per hour. I've contacted them to try to kill my order.

Is it me or is this a first for a watch company?

A new unit of measure, the Ballsecond and Ballminute.

Old 18 February 2020, 03:06 AM   #27
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Used to own a Ball Aero GMT. Great watch, although I could never get along w/ the bracelet. Too many sharp edges and it amplified the sharp bottom lugs on the wrist as well.

However, on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber nato it was sweet! Very accurate, easy to read, and really cool to view the glow on redeye flights.

Alas, I sold it to buy the Tudor GMT and happy with that decision.
dP
I just got the same watch, and I completely agree with you on the bracelet I was thinking of getting some sort of fine file, to grind down the sharp edges, but for the price I’m shocked that I’d have to even consider this.

As a side question, can anyone suggest a tool to grind the edges without doing too much damage?

Quote:
The vacation watch to sketchy places with IDGAF feelings is exactly why I went with the above watch. If I was sent back in time I'd get the rubber bracelet, save a few bucks, and give less "F's" about the bracelet's discomfort while on vacay.

I really like the dial, and the phantom hands, it feels like an analog aircraft instrument to me, but the bezel is sapphire (I think) to allow the tritium tubes's lume to light up, and it does not look good in daylight in comparison to the ceramic or aluminum bezels on my other watches that cost more than a couple of hundred dollars. On the plus side, it looks great, if a little busy, in the dark, especially if you use a flashlight to light up the non tritium lumed numbers on the dial.

I'm going to give it some more time, but right now I haven't bonded with it.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 01:16 AM   #28
York20
"TRF" Member

The new one that's coming out has pre-order and free engraving. It looks really nice.
York20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:44 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It came to my attention that the watch which I've pre-ordered has an unusual flaw. It has 72 second per minute and 72 minutes per hour. I've contacted them to try to kill my order.

Is it me or is this a first for a watch company?

A new unit of measure, the Ballsecond and Ballminute.

OK, I followed up with Florine at Ball. The photo of the watch with 72 minute/second ticks is an error. The watch has 60 seconds to the minute and 60 minutes to the hour.