The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 December 2012, 12:35 PM   #31
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by John16610 View Post
Why try to regulate what people talk about? Aren't we here to have fun and be charitable to one another? Albeit-- it is pretty simple to find a Rolex price on the Information Superhighway...
TRF is a discussion forum.. It is not a sales forum, an appraisal service, or someplace for sellers to pimp their watches hoping to get bids by bypassing the clear, yet designed sales requirements...

We get hundreds of posts monthly where the poster is doing nothing but "listing" the watch and coming back with one or two word comments "bumping" their listing back to the top.. TRF is not here to be a shopping or sales service.

The sales boards are difficult enough to keep up with. If the main board allowed these sales and want to buy posts, before long there wouldn't be any room for discussion - everybody would plaster the boards with their thinly veiled sales attempts..
Old 17 December 2012, 12:41 PM   #32
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John16610 View Post
Why try to regulate what people talk about? Aren't we here to have fun and be charitable to one another? Albeit-- it is pretty simple to find a Rolex price on the Information Superhighway...
I think this has been answered a few times in this thread already. Once again, if all these posts where allowed, the forum would be filled with "what's it worth, is is real, found my grand dads Rolex" posts and it would not be as easy to follow.
Most people want the easy answer and don't want to do any work to get it. Most questions can be answered by doing a simple search.
Hope this helps.

Old 22 December 2012, 08:56 AM   #33
Aficionado1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Oops! I just posed a series of questions on a 1675 GMT in the Vintage section of TRF, and then found this thread.

As a total noob, I was happy to see Boopie's comments. I have avidly devoured as much information as I can locate here at TRF and elsewhere online. One thing that is starkly clear to me is the level of detail that TRF members note on each and every watch posted. Its a joy! That is why I posted the GMT 1675 in the Vintage thread; to see what others may note and remark on that I would not even know had any relevance.

As someone wishing to enter the rare universe of Rolex watches, the feedback from fellow TRF members is what more interesting, rewarding, and educational than simply shipping a watch off for an appraisal. I had a vintage Sub that I lost on a bus in Brazil (don't ask), and have recently bought a GMTII (green 24 hour hand).

My newbie contribution :)

Cheers!
Old 16 January 2013, 04:52 AM   #34
altica

great thread!!
Old 16 January 2013, 12:55 PM   #35
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
If it did this it may work, Paul

Does it hurt if I wear my Rolex......?

Back to the thread - a Great Idea!
Old 5 February 2013, 08:13 AM   #36
Rolexrowdy
"TRF" Member

Great thread Post! New Member and am learning the ropes!
Old 8 March 2013, 10:26 PM   #37
LeotheLion

Watch: GMT2 and Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
If it did this it may work, Paul

A welcome to Ramsey Street *Neighbour.* (Please mind the ROLEX) .
Old 11 March 2013, 07:41 PM   #38
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Very good post but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
TRF gets a lot of "What's it Worth" threads, "My Grandfather just died..." and other assorted veiled attempts to sell or offers for sale in the General Discussion Board.

It takes fewer than 5 minutes to research almost any Rolex model and find what they are being sold for across the Internet. You are urged to search the Forum Sales Board if you are seeking an estimate of value for your watch, or search the Internet for prevailing values. TRF is neither a shopping service for you, nor is it a valuation service as value varies widely depending on condition and local economies..

Your post requesting value, or any other post that appears to be a solicitation for sale will be removed.

Moderators will make the final decision if the Thread has merit and can remain and may, without discussion, edit the Thread to meet TRF guidelines.
Very good clarification. Would have to extend it to the forum members who recommend buying a trusted seller of the forum.
Old 18 March 2013, 12:33 PM   #39
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Judging by the open "What's it worth?" thread running now, complete with Moderator Replies, I am assuming some are allowed are some are not.

Is that right?
Old 18 May 2013, 07:22 PM   #40
David88

Would it be ok for me to ask wether a certain site selling rolex is legit? They are selling most models like 40% off compared to others. They are claiming to be authentic however I would like to get the opinion from members of this forum befor I even consider buying anything from them.
Old 14 June 2013, 07:37 AM   #41
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
My Point Exactly THIS is the best Post EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I understand the reason, but I have mixed feelings.

Most people, including many Rolex owners, know very little about watches. I have friends who got a Rolex for the prestige of it (nothing wrong with that) rather than because of the automatic movement or orther horological reasons. They do not remove any of the extra links, and let the watch flop around like a bracelet. When I compliment them on their fine timepiece, I inevitably get, "Oh, this? It keeps terrible time." It turns out that none have ever wound their watches.

When some of our relatives have passed on, we have found various antique watches (from the 1930s-1940s) in boxes drawers, etc. It would be helpful to know if they are valuable for purposes of dividing them up, deciding whether to keep or sell, or even to fix and wear. Sometimes it is not worth to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a watch that is worth far less. For example, we got an antique Baume & Mercier chronograph (model 902). The crystal is broken and it has no strap. We took it to a watchmaker, and because of the complications, it is probably more expensive to fix than what it is worth. It has no sentimental value, so in the drawer it sits. Alternatively, if one is a very rare timepiece, that would be helpful to know.

Also, isn't TRF a reputable place to do research? Is eBay the only alternative?

I understand some people may be abusive, but if someone does post a photo bout the found watch, what is inherently problematic about spending 30 seconds to say their watch was a common or uncommon, potentially valuable, worth getting checked out by a dealer, etc.

Plus, there is always the fun "Antique Roadshow" aspect to finding a rare watch.
NOW THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER. the internet is full shams and I would of thought that some people on this forum as in the past would have been more helpful. Except the for silly logos of people kicking people in the genitals and uncalled references for me being stupid for asking, Sorry guys but some people need to grow up
Old 14 June 2013, 09:18 AM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcall View Post
NOW THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER. the internet is full shams and I would of thought that some people on this forum as in the past would have been more helpful. Except the for silly logos of people kicking people in the genitals and uncalled references for me being stupid for asking, Sorry guys but some people need to grow up
Quote:
Quote:
the internet is full shams and I would of thought that some people on this forum as in the past would have been more helpful. Except the for silly logos of people kicking people in the genitals and uncalled references for me being stupid for asking, Sorry guys but some people need to grow up
You can say that again.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 August 2013, 09:48 PM   #43
ashleymaude
"TRF" Member

Its simple.

If you don't want to help someone that is asking a question (regardless if you think its a simple question or not, who are you to judge someone's intelligence) then don't reply to the thread.

And if you are like most of the world's population and would like to help just because you like to help someone that is in need of an answer then do so without feeling like the above are sticking their nose up at you!
Old 17 August 2013, 05:49 PM   #44
Chris.Meldrum
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info
Closed Thread