14k!
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 02:16 PM   #32
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
It’s expensive but I think it’s fairly priced. For the past 20 years (probably more) watch nerds and watchmakers have been waxing poetic about the cal 321, and Omega has actually brought it back AND put it in a steel, non-limited model for us.

The 321 is “superior” not in a technical way, but in an artistic, classical way. Like a Patek chronograph, for example, it uses a column wheel and a lateral clutch. It’s not necessarily the latest tech but it’s a classical beauty and a legendary movement.

The high price comes partially from the fact that each watch will be assembled from start to finish by one watchmaker, not mass produced on an assembly line like other Omegas. They’ll only be able to produce an estimated 1000 to 2000 per year, so the scarcity will be real, unlike that other brand.

14,000 USD is definitely a sh*t-ton of money when you’re used to paying 1/3 that for a Speedmaster, but this is a whole different thing. I think it’s worth the price for some collectors, hell, probably A LOT of collectors. I’m not one of those collectors, but I do think the price is justified. I’m happy just knowing that it exists.

Seconded. A very solid assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:41 PM   #33
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I never understood this statement: "I'm happy just knowing that it exists."

:)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:48 PM   #34
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I never understood this statement: "I'm happy just knowing that it exists."

:)
I just meant that I’m glad that they’re making it, even though I won’t be buying one. I don’t need to own it to appreciate it. My 3570.50 does the job for me.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 05:07 PM   #35
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I just meant that I’m glad that they’re making it, even though I won’t be buying one. I don’t need to own it to appreciate it. My 3570.50 does the job for me.
No, no, I know what you meant. :)

I've heard that statement before, I find it mildly humorous, that's all.
Old 8 January 2020, 05:40 PM   #36
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Fauxtina, again??? At 39mm I find it too small for a chrono. But as many have already said, my main issue is the price. Omega have lost the plot with their pricing IMHO.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:02 PM   #37
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Fauxtina, again??? At 39mm I find it too small for a chrono. But as many have already said, my main issue is the price. Omega have lost the plot with their pricing IMHO.
I have to agree. Omega has been trending much much much hire in pricing with their new pieces over the past couple years, and it's a bit unnerving. I've always viewed them as the "bargain" relative to Rolex.

They started asking crazy prices with their "exotic" case material pieces (ceramic), but the trend on the Steel side is a bit nuts.
Old 8 January 2020, 09:30 PM   #38
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
50% higher than the 50th Apollo 11?? I get the 321 aspect but it's smaller and has no gold accents. I have been convinced that Omega has been run by a knucklehead. They completely blew the 50th Anniversary PR opportunity both by not introducing it during Basel or their own show and then not releasing it in time for the 50th celebration.

I was on the list for one in Nov of 18, put 50% deposit down in Jan 19 Paid in full in May 19. As of the end of Nov 19 still hadn't received my watch so I cancelled it and glad I did. Next day got a call from my AD that a Hulk was in with my name on it.

I was telling the Boutique manager that its ridiculous that Omega didn't have watches in the store on or before the date of the Moon Landing. Customers should have been in the Boutiques all over the world celebrating mankind's greatest achievement with our watches on!! Knuckleheads!!

At 14K this is a hard NO for me. I'll take a Daytona for less money, thank you.

Agree with other posters on two things. One this will be less once it hits dealers such as Joma Shop and two it will raise the price of vintage Speedys unless Joma Shop is selling them at 30-35% off like most other Omegas they sell. My Boutique says they are not allowed to discount so I keep asking them how do you expect me to buy a watch from you guys. I got my answer recently when my favorite SA quit due to lack of income.

Knuckle heads at Omega have destroyed the brand and have made useless their Boutiques. How do you force your own boutique stores to sell at MSRP while your authorized dealers are discounting the sh*t out of the same watches?

One of my favorite examples is the Tarantulum watch, didn't like the color but my SA said you buy this to put away and not wear. I said ok but at 13K+ and no discount, it better not be a Joma Shop special watch. She said no way they only have one in the Boutique. So we both went on C24 to check and presto there were 3 or 4 of them BNIB for 11K asking price which means you could bargain down from there. She was kind of heart broken and so I just didn't say anything and I think that was the last straw for her.

At least they are finally going to limit the limited editions! LOL.

By the way has anybody else received a message regarding the 50th anniversary watch for Apollo 13?? I got a text from the manager that they are accepting deposits for it now. I'm not rushing over there based on my recent Omega experiences.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:47 PM   #39
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool watch with a great movement. The price takes it off the table with so many other options in the Speed master line-up for a fraction of the price.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #40
1kw
"TRF" Member

Omega is kind of similar to Brietling in that they do not hold value very well on the contemporary pieces. I have learned the hard way when I went to try and use toward a trade that unless your willing to lose 75 % the watch will be a permanent part of your watch collection. What is the big deal about a 321 movement that was never very accurate, manual wind, case is not water resistant other than maybe washing your hands. Save 10 grand and buy a new Saphire sandwich from Joma shop.
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:38 AM   #41
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Beautiful version of the Speedmaster. Here's what to consider: 1) How much do you really want a 321, 2) Ceramic bezel with the dot over the 90, 3) Price, 4) Value retention.

Omega is really taking a chance with this. I can easily see it not selling out. That's alot of money for a 2.5Hz (18,000 bpm) movement. Maybe they should've retailed it for $8k. Are there really that many Speedmaster aficionados that lust after a 321 caliber?
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:28 AM   #42
aparker973
"TRF" Member

I know we are a Rolex forum, but don't sleep on Omega apprecionados. They are aplenty. I see no reason why these would not sell out given the limited nature of the production.

Given my personal preferences, I would probably prefer this to a Datyona at MSRP.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:57 AM   #43
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker973 View Post
I know we are a Rolex forum, but don't sleep on Omega apprecionados. They are aplenty. I see no reason why these would not sell out given the limited nature of the production.

Given my personal preferences, I would probably prefer this to a Datyona at MSRP.
It will be 1000% more legible than a Daytona.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #44
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I paid in the low $3000s for my new 3570.50 about ten years ago. I just would not consider a reasonably similar watch costing $10K more.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #45
Easy E

I know it may be too early to say for sure, but would anyone guess that the bracelet would mate to a FOIS?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 04:06 AM   #46
R G
Banned

I wonder if Omega will roll out another 40mm Speedmaster, essentially this model but with the standard manual wind movement, or perhaps a 40mm version of the existing 42mm version, now this model is out?
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:37 AM   #47
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
I wonder if Omega will roll out another 40mm Speedmaster, essentially this model but with the standard manual wind movement, or perhaps a 40mm version of the existing 42mm version, now this model is out?

What you are describing already (for the most part) exists - the FOIS. Same case (39.7mm) , sapphire crystal, same movement as the moonwatch (1861). Aesthetically the main difference is the hand set and , compared to this new model, the ceramic bezel and sapphire case back.

So, no, I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #48
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Is it the same case, though? Not a fan of the fauxtina, but the bracelet would go well with the FOIS, I thought
Old 9 January 2020, 09:49 PM   #49
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
What you are describing already (for the most part) exists - the FOIS. Same case (39.7mm) , sapphire crystal, same movement as the moonwatch (1861). Aesthetically the main difference is the hand set and , compared to this new model, the ceramic bezel and sapphire case back.

So, no, I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I know about the existing FOIS, but I’d want it produced with the speed master bracelet rather than having to source one that will just fit.

You may be right, but we’ll see.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:46 PM   #50
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
...my main issue is the price. Omega have lost the plot with their pricing IMHO.
Mission creep for sure on OMEGA's part imho. What is interesting is they're pricing the new models about the same as good condition original/vintage models. So perhaps the question is which would you choose, a true historic piece or a new one?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 09:43 AM   #51
Trog
Banned

I can't believe I'm doing this, but heading to the AD this weekend to plonk down a deposit.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 07:00 PM   #52
Gary.
"TRF" Member

I like it. I'll probably get it.

I think the nature of the production justifies at least a part of the price. We pay for stuff like that in this hobby. Ask Vacheron Constantin if they think the way this movement is produced and finished should be reflected in the price.

It feels more special, looks nicer (both objective, I know) and is certainly much more legible than a Daytona and, at this point, only someone who discovered watches yesterday thinks that the Rolex's list price is relevant in any way. For most people considering which one to buy, the 321 will leave you with 10k in your pocket.

As for hanging on for one to be available at half the price, I'm doing the same thing for the Silver Snoopy. I'll post pictures when I get it.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 02:39 AM   #53
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
$14k for a steel speedmaster? Will happily wait for a Daytona instead if that's what they're trying to get away with charging....

Omega keeps digging themselves a deeper hole. They cling to the old things that they did well 50+ years ago rather than usher in the new and improve upon those awesome and classic designs. Rolex and Patek have established themselves as the de facto leaders in the watch industry today because they are phenomenal at maintaining classic design but also making sure that components and movements are being updated at a steady pace to keep up with technological advancements of the modern era. Is the new daytona a paul newman? No, but the overall color scheme is an homage to the 6239, and obviously there have been decades of improvements made to make it a "better" watch. Whether that's the ez link extension, the sturdier bracelets, the no-scratch ceramic bezel, parachrom hairspring, a 70 hr power reserve movement, etc.

People bash omega all the time about creating these "limited edition" vintage-inspired pieces. Calling anything "limited edition" these days makes it come across as cheap and is just such a crappy and lazy marketing strategy. Everything in this world is limited to some degree- you can only make so many in a year- so stop trying to sell it to me like Billy Mays tried to sell me a set of rare coins on a late night infomercial.

For the past few decades- omega has just been extremely lazy- their marketing team is lazy, their R&D is lazy, their executive team is lazy. And clearly their executive team is totally out of touch with the public's perception of the company. They need new vision and they need it fast. There are thousands of watches marinating in Omega AD cases across the world at the moment, ready to be sold at a steep discount.
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:32 AM   #54
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post

For the past few decades- omega has just been extremely lazy- their marketing team is lazy, their R&D is lazy, their executive team is lazy. And clearly their executive team is totally out of touch with the public's perception of the company. They need new vision and they need it fast. There are thousands of watches marinating in Omega AD cases across the world at the moment, ready to be sold at a steep discount.
The problem isn’t just with Omega, it’s with every single (mass produced) watch brand outside of Rolex, PP and AP.

Look at JLC. Such a respected brand but they’ve basically ignored what’s hot in the market now (aside from the Polaris which I personally don’t like at all). I’d say a few brands have lost their way recently.

Don’t disagree with you on everything but in the modern day of hyped up SS sports watches Omega don’t stand a chance. They’re clearly out of vogue. But you can objectively compare a seamaster 300m and a submariner and, for the money, the Omega surely looks like the better buy. People don’t want that though. They want the Rolex.

I do think they’re in a bit of a weird place at the moment though. There are far too many models available, and that’s the main collection models without adding LEs.

The Planet Ocean should be making them a killing really. It seems to almost be a forgotten model. There are also a few slightly irrelevant models like the brand new constellation. I’ve never seen such an underwhelming release.

I think they just need to focus on the what their core models should be.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:44 AM   #55
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I’ll be the first to admit the $14K price is out of whack for a Speedmaster. But the widely agreed upon perception is this is a very special Speedmaster and the reality is demand is sufficient enough to make this a waiting list watch. Why should Omega charge less and leave money on the table for the grey dealers to profit from? Because you know if the MSRP was set at $5K-6K, this watch would be flipped to grey dealers and most people would have to pay up a huge amount to get one.

If you want this watch but can’t afford the $14K premium or don’t believe this watch will sell out, then roll the dice and hope to buy it from a grey market dealer at a discount. I just don’t see things going that way, especially in the initial rollout. Who knows, maybe Omega ADs will begin to offer discounts 3-5 years out. It’s anybody’s guess.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #56
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Sem View Post
This will be a good pick up second hand for about $6,500 in a year or two.
Yeah that's not going to happen buddy
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #57
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

It’s a beautiful watch but can only see the die hard Speedie fans going for this when the original hesalite can be had for 1/3 the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #58
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post
Rolex and Patek have established themselves as the de facto leaders in the watch industry today because they are phenomenal at maintaining classic design but also making sure that components and movements are being updated at a steady pace to keep up with technological advancements of the modern era.
Patek is doing this? lol

The 5711 is their own homage watch lol The original case construction has been discarded Honestly, the movement inside has not been notably upgraded and the bracelet went from screws to pins. And it is now a huge hit, lol! These facts say much about the current absurdity of the watch market, which is all "look what I got" and not "can you believe how great this is".

Also, this is not a limited edition piece, it appears that it is being made to order, which is a fantastic strategy.

Sure, Omega can be criticized but your reasoning in response to this release is misplaced, imho.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:57 AM   #59
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Just another of too many LEs Not a big chrono or speedy fan but this seems doubly overpriced to me. Original version man on the moon with the hestalite new for @ 5850. makes much more sense to me. As far as motivating Rolex.. oh please...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:08 AM   #60
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I know it may be too early to say for sure, but would anyone guess that the bracelet would mate to a FOIS?
I’d like to know that too. Cos the case looks the same, which means 19mm lugs.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote