The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 January 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
Omega Speedmaster

Just wanted to get everyones opinion. Would you buy an Omega Speedmaster brand new from an AD or would you go grey? Im only asking because brand new a Speedmaster is $5,350 before taxes and ive seen them sell for $4,300 from reputable dealers on the forums. Wondering what direction I should go in
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:07 AM   #2
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I would say buy preowned if the price is right. But if only small difference from old to new then get new.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar144 View Post
Just wanted to get everyones opinion. Would you buy an Omega Speedmaster brand new from an AD or would you go grey? Im only asking because brand new a Speedmaster is $5,350 before taxes and ive seen them sell for $4,300 from reputable dealers on the forums. Wondering what direction I should go in
You should be able to get a BNIB Speedy Pro from a non factory AD for 25% off.

Non factory Omega ADs still know how to negotiate and standard Speedy Pros less than say, 10yrs old and in great shape are about $3-$3500 wholesale or trade in.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I say grey as long as they include the filled out warranty card on new. Save the $$$
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:20 AM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
There are only Omega Boutiques here where I live so I have no choice. No discount but I buy from them because I’m in the boutique quite often. So it’s nice to be their customer because they really treat their customers nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
In Melbourne I would go to my local AD, they will discount Omega. The Omega Boutiques however will not.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The price of these has risen a little. You can look on watch recon for listings or start by looking on this forum classified section sales of non rolex watches. $4300 as you mentioned is going in the right direction perhaps you pay slightly less by looking for older models, private sellers, or negotiating with vendors. There are so many variations of this watch so you have to be sure you know the reference number you are searching for.
Old 10 January 2020, 10:22 AM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

Prices on speedmasters at grey dealers seem to have to really gone up in the past year - what accounts for that?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:24 AM   #9
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I'd try and see how much a discount you could get from an AD...if it's anything less than 20% I'd likely look at grey, unless the price is more of course.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:42 AM   #10
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Would get BNIB from a grey- it’s what I did. No reason spend a dime more for an OB experience. Only exception would be if you wanted to buy from an AD to strengthen your relationship to get a hard to obtain watch, and if the delta between the AD discount and gray dealer is small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:52 AM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Prices on speedmasters at grey dealers seem to have to really gone up in the past year - what accounts for that?
My sense is popularity and demand for the Speedmaster Pro have been on the rise the last couple of years.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:54 AM   #12
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I would go gray market or preowned for any Omega especially a Speedmaster or a Seamaster. Complete sets in like new condition can be found at significant discounts all over.

Actually, the only brand right now I’d buy at retail is Rolex at the moment.

Not to get off topic but I saw a Breitling Navitimer Swiss Air on JomaShop yesterday for $5950. They’re selling on the Breitling website for $9160! Talk about overpriced. Imagine you went to a boutique and bought one only to find out you could have purchased it for $4K less. Woof ...

Now in my mind anyway, Omega is a much better brand than Breitling, but you get picture. Retail pricing is sometimes higher than market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:57 AM   #13
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
You may want to look at some Omega forums and search posts for a forum recommended AD. I did this several years ago and was able to get a BNIB full set/warranty Moonwatch shipped to me with no tax and 30% off. The AD I used is no longer around but you can sometimes find a forum friendly AD. Good luck and a great choice.
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 10:59 AM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There are good ADs who are players, and they'll probably sell a Speedmaster Pro to you at a discount of 20% or more. If the AD is in a different state, then you'll probably save the sales tax, too.

My Speedmaster Pro was purchased from an AD in Washington, DC who discounted it 30% and shipped it to my door. The owner retired and closed the business, but I imagine there are other ADs out there who still will offer bargains like this.

Phone some of the better known ADs and see how you do

It's a fantastic watch

Old 10 January 2020, 11:01 AM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybala View Post
You may want to look at some Omega forums and search posts for a forum recommended AD. I did this several years ago and was able to get a BNIB full set/warranty Moonwatch shipped to me with no tax and 30% off. The AD I used is no longer around but you can sometimes find a forum friendly AD. Good luck and a great choice.
I get the sense we bought from the same friendly man
Old 10 January 2020, 11:14 AM   #16
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I get the sense we bought from the same friendly man
Yes and I read on one of the Omega forums that he didn’t retire but unfortunately passed away.
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:27 PM   #17
mclain777
"TRF" Member

New with a nice discount available from most ADs

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
mclain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:31 PM   #18
mclain777
"TRF" Member

You will not regret it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
mclain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:13 PM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I say AD with a discount. ADs from out of state will ship to you. Private message me if you want a referral to my AD, from whom I have bought and sold many luxury watches.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:15 PM   #20
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My Speedmaster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:11 AM   #21
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
The price of these has risen a little. You can look on watch recon for listings or start by looking on this forum classified section sales of non rolex watches. $4300 as you mentioned is going in the right direction perhaps you pay slightly less by looking for older models, private sellers, or negotiating with vendors. There are so many variations of this watch so you have to be sure you know the reference number you are searching for.
You can forget the "little" part.

OP, don't sleep on it. The standard moonwatch is getting a new 3861 movement soon. Serious price increase coming.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:15 AM   #22
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

I bought two omegas, new in the box with paperwork from grays for significant discounts. most recent is a discontinued seamaster chrono for 45% off list.
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 06:11 AM   #23
Gary.
"TRF" Member

You can usually get a discount at an AD or at least you could until recently.
Some dealers are reporting that they seem to be drying up. My local place hasn't had one for a few months. There are rumours that it will be replaced by a new version bearing the 3861 movement in the not too distant future. Who knows what that will cost but the current 5k RRP might start looking like a sweet deal.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 11:19 AM   #24
francowearsawatch
Banned

If you're ok with purchasing gray market search kringkily in the omega forums. They're around $3600 new.
francowearsawatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:16 PM   #25
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I went grey pre-owned and saved myself a few thousands. The OB wouldn't offer any discount at all.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:28 AM   #26
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
My sapphire sandwich retails for $6350 and I bought it new from a gray reseller in Sweden for $4290 including customs fees. No sales tax. I bought another one from him a few months later, which required repair, and Omega accepted the EU warranty card and repaired it here in the USA with no issues. PM for contact details if you wish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cropped.jpg (195.2 KB, 224 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:47 PM   #27
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
You should be able to get in the $3,500 range if you are willing to buy a used model. To me a Speedy is not a watch that you need to purchase new. It feels like a worker watch, not a piece of jewelry if you know what I mean. And with the nice discounts you can get second hand it's a win-win proposition in my mind.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote