The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2020, 08:19 AM   #1
TradeWizard
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400st
41mm Royal Oak Rubber Straps

Hey guys. Having had a 15400 royal oak for over a month I was wondering who prefers a rubber strap on this as opposed to the typical steel bracelet. The reason I ask is that my steel bracelet has already seen considerable scratches in the short period I've owned it.

Now I'm contemplating getting a rubber strap to avoid these scratches and want some thoughts on the tang buckle versus the deployment clasp. When I spoke to my AD they said that they only offered deployment clasps, which are a cool $695.

1. Any idea what size conversion buckle/clasp I would need. I presume 18mm, although I've seen 16mms too?

(Hopefully, someone has an extra they are willing to sell :))

2. Is the buckle more comfortable than the clasp? I've heard several people have similar sentiments.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul? - Jesus
TradeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:01 AM   #2
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the only reason for changing the bracelet to a rubber strap is to preserve the bracelet, I say don't do it.

You are going to keep it pristine, but won't get to enjoy what is one of the big highlights of owning a royal oak. That bracelet is unmatched in any price point, by any brand, imo.

Besides, the ro bracelet actually hides scratches well, so don't sweat it.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:06 AM   #3
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

At least the bracelet hides scratches because the bezel definitely doesn't.
10XRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Why not just pair it with an Aquanaut?
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:27 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I recently did the conversion on a ROC, would be similar parts.

Three options:
1. Full OEM conversion. Think this sets you back about 1400-1700.
2. Get the Rubber B one with Velcro. I didn't like this option because of how the Velcro folds over, but YMMV based on tastes, another member liked it just fine.
3. You could do a hybrid rubber B. Order the plots from AP and have the strap itself from Rubber B.

One last thing to note, AP says that they don't sell a tang buckle OEM for RO, only deployant, and as others have noted in other threads and I can attest to, not the most comfortable. If you want the buckle, will have to go 3rd party.

I believe ultimately, getting the conversion kit in any form just gives you more options. It's not either/or but an AND decision.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:28 PM   #6
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

I bought Vagenari solution, and had local leather crafter swap out the deployant for a tang buckle. Works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
If the only reason for changing the bracelet to a rubber strap is to preserve the bracelet, I say don't do it.

You are going to keep it pristine, but won't get to enjoy what is one of the big highlights of owning a royal oak. That bracelet is unmatched in any price point, by any brand, imo.

Besides, the ro bracelet actually hides scratches well, so don't sweat it.

Agree with this. What’s the use in having a pristine bracelet say in a draw. From experience, you will soon get used to the scratches.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:26 PM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

As the above posters say, unless you want the rubber strap look and feel, stick with the bracelet.

Its stunning, and one of the defining AP characteristics.

Maybe add a ROO so you have something a bit more sporty on days you’re likely to be getting scratches.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 08:35 PM   #9
yoast
"TRF" Member

Actually, there is a tang buckle, but I do not know the part number.

Below is a post of a member using it on a Croc strap on a 15300, which has the same lug width.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...t=15300+rubber
Old 12 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Actually, there is a tang buckle, but I do not know the part number.

Below is a post of a member using it on a Croc strap on a 15300, which has the same lug width.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...t=15300+rubber
There is a tang buckle per say on the width, but AP says the rubber is too thick and won’t fit. Will it or won’t it? I’m not sure. Only know that AP says it won’t and has raised prices on the part through the roof so I’m not willing to take the gamble just to find out currently. :-) maybe someone with the tang part can confirm?
Old 13 January 2020, 12:45 AM   #11
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
There is a tang buckle per say on the width, but AP says the rubber is too thick and won’t fit. Will it or won’t it? I’m not sure. Only know that AP says it won’t and has raised prices on the part through the roof so I’m not willing to take the gamble just to find out currently. :-) maybe someone with the tang part can confirm?
I've done a little digging and also found that AP has other 18mm tang buckle available:
AD.0288.018.ST Buckle Ardillon 18mm 140 USD
AD.0399.018.SN Black PVD buckle from the End of Days 18mm

However, i don't know what the strap width is at the buckle end, 16 or 18mm?
Old 13 January 2020, 11:20 AM   #12
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
AP boutique will do the full conversion. I did it for my wife’s RO. It close about 1400usd. She likes white rubber on her 33mm RO over summer and the two tone bracket on winter.

It looks stunning both ways. Ignore the naysayers.

Had to buy the folding clasp and 4 plots as the plots on the bracelet is part of the bracelet which is a shame cost the plots on hers are gold. I was not gonna pay for 4 gold plots at 400 apeace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:40 AM   #13
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
AP boutique will do the full conversion. I did it for my wife’s RO. It close about 1400usd. She likes white rubber on her 33mm RO over summer and the two tone bracket on winter.

It looks stunning both ways. Ignore the naysayers.

Had to buy the folding clasp and 4 plots as the plots on the bracelet is part of the bracelet which is a shame cost the plots on hers are gold. I was not gonna pay for 4 gold plots at 400 apeace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^ this

Interestingly enough when you say ‘considerable’ scratches — what does that mean?? I’ve worn APs as daily wearers for years and have never gotten anywhere near what I’d call ‘considerable’ scratches. Other than what would be considered perfectly normal.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:54 PM   #14
Retumbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I had posed a similar question on another thread last week (except with an older style ROO rubber strap instead of a RO Rubber strap) and did not receive an answer.

I was at the AP Boutique Vegas (Crystals) this weekend and was told that the only clasp that works with the older style ROO rubber strap is the 18mm single fold deployant. The rep also said multiple times that AP does not have an 18mm tang buckle (despite the two mentioned above that DO exist), so take that for what it's worth.

I will echo the request to see a photo of an AP rubber strap (RO or ROO) with one of the 18mm tang buckles, as I know SOMEONE has to have tried it...
Retumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 12:56 PM   #15
seansong93
Banned

OP is right in the sense that the RO is a scratch magnet. It's just one of the unavoidable things.
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 07:47 PM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
RubberB has a cost effective solution where one doesn't have to buy plots and buckle: https://rubberb.com/en/strap-audemar...o%C2%AE-series

https://youtu.be/3z31chL7iOY
Old 16 January 2020, 10:36 AM   #17
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

No Tang buckle for 41 mm rubber option. Asked boutique in Singapore. Went with the deployant. Not so happy with the comfort level. I shared this in another thread. There are so many deployants in from other brands that are very comfortable but somehow AP has decided on its present design even as there are so moany feedback around the world that it is not the best in terms of comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
I had posed a similar question on another thread last week (except with an older style ROO rubber strap instead of a RO Rubber strap) and did not receive an answer.

I was at the AP Boutique Vegas (Crystals) this weekend and was told that the only clasp that works with the older style ROO rubber strap is the 18mm single fold deployant. The rep also said multiple times that AP does not have an 18mm tang buckle (despite the two mentioned above that DO exist), so take that for what it's worth.

I will echo the request to see a photo of an AP rubber strap (RO or ROO) with one of the 18mm tang buckles, as I know SOMEONE has to have tried it...
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:45 AM   #18
seansong93
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
RubberB has a cost effective solution where one doesn't have to buy plots and buckle: https://rubberb.com/en/strap-audemar...o%C2%AE-series

https://youtu.be/3z31chL7iOY
Yeah the AP prices are way, way too high...Rubber B seems like the only reasonable alternative.
seansong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:44 PM   #19
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
No Tang buckle for 41 mm rubber option. Asked boutique in Singapore. Went with the deployant. Not so happy with the comfort level. I shared this in another thread. There are so many deployants in from other brands that are very comfortable but somehow AP has decided on its present design even as there are so moany feedback around the world that it is not the best in terms of comfort.
Sometimes if you mix and match strap size lengths to position the deployant in a certain place it helps with comfort.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #20
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's interesting. I have the 26320, the 41mm chrono RO. I went to the AP boutique @ Liat Towers in SG and they were more than happy to fit the 18mm tang buckle onto the rubber strap.

To the OP, yes the 18mm tang buckle from AP works. Further, here's the PN that Carolina @ APNA Parts supplied to work with the 41mm RO straps:

AD.0288.018.ST – 18MM STEEL TANG
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 10:37 AM   #21
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. May I know when was your purchase ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahn View Post
That's interesting. I have the 26320, the 41mm chrono RO. I went to the AP boutique @ Liat Towers in SG and they were more than happy to fit the 18mm tang buckle onto the rubber strap.

To the OP, yes the 18mm tang buckle from AP works. Further, here's the PN that Carolina @ APNA Parts supplied to work with the 41mm RO straps:

Old 17 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #22
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

I bought the full set from Liat Tower two years back.

Quote:

Old 17 January 2020, 01:24 PM   #23
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought the full set from Liat Tower two years back.
I purchased a XS rubber strap, a set of plots, a gray croc XS strap, and the tang buckle from them ~ Feb 2017.
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:06 AM   #24
TradeWizard
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400st
How do I get in touch with Carolina @ APNA parts? And any idea on the prices? Sounds like the tang buckle and Rubber B may be my best option for boating and recreational activities. Although, I do agree that it's a bit naive to think that my metal bracelet shouldn't bear too many scratches as other posters have said :)

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul? - Jesus
TradeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:40 AM   #25
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I purchased a XS rubber strap, a set of plots, a gray croc XS strap, and the tang buckle from them ~ Feb 2017.
Old 13 February 2020, 12:29 PM   #26
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for this piece of info.

I can now also confirm the tang buckle works perfectly with the OEM rubber strap despite the service center saying it won't work together.