The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2020, 01:23 PM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster bezel

Sorry I know this has been discussed a lot but in terms of potential bezel discoloration any latest opinions on this?

Didn't really come to a verdict on all the threads I just read, though I'm leaning towards discoloration is just grime/smudges/dirt that can come off with acetone and a q tip? (is that something people do, sounds terrifying to me)

Also any chance Rolex put some magic elixir in their latest 126622 to make the bezel more durable?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Coolex
Banned

It's the sandblasted matte finish getting burnished over time as it rubs on things.

It develops a patina like a leather wallet. Not for everyone.
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:10 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Yachtmaster bezel

As Rolesium is essentially a Rolex proprietary platinum 950 alloy, I imagine it shares the same properties as regular platinum.

It doesn’t tarnish but it loses its luster faster due to getting dull by accumulating micro scratches with wear aka patina. Some like the look.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:36 PM   #4
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I don't know what it is from the chemical perspective, but I would avoid acetone as it's a strong solvent. Why not try a toothbrush and some toothpaste first? Or maybe 70% alcohol (isopropanol).

Frankly, I have not seen it on all YM bezels. I have had two YMs 16622 (one F, one Z) and none of them had it.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:40 AM   #5
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The issue with the finish is it can be scratched and/or worn down. The finish is superficial and is prone to wear. However, Rolex was smart to raise the numbers and recess the blasted finish. You would have to get 1/16ish inch down to scratch the finish, not likely going to happen. Id say you are ok and wouldnt need to worry about the bezel. Now for cleaning, soap EASILY washes away anything in the bezel. IDK where your hands are going everyday, but using a chemical to remove any residue from daily use is excessive.

I own a 116622 Rhodium, been wearing it on/off for a couple months, never had a problem with the bezel.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:41 AM   #6
IR201
"TRF" Member

Very helpful guys thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
. . .
Didn't really come to a verdict on all the threads I just read, though I'm leaning towards discoloration is just grime/smudges/dirt that can come off with acetone and a q tip? (is that something people do, sounds terrifying to me)
. . .
Acetone is nail polish remover.. You probably have some around the house
Old 20 January 2020, 04:39 AM   #8
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
The sand lasted finished will scratch. I eventually had mine refinished before I sold it, by an AD that used the same medium as Rolex to re-apply the texture. I think it was glass beads if I remember correctly. The watch came out like new but I think it cost me around $500. The Full service including the bezel re-furnish was about $1200 US ($1600 Can$) after 6 years of wear.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 05:41 AM   #9
CF999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 ,1675, 1016
I have not problem with mine, when coal mining or car servicing I put it in my pocket ��
CF999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #10
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF999 View Post
I have not problem with mine, when coal mining or car servicing I put it in my pocket ��
You must be in the minority as I hear coal miners and mechanics are the target customers for this model.
Old 20 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #11
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
You must be in the minority as I hear coal miners and mechanics are the target customers for this model.
Lol there's another thread on what the yachtmaster should be renamed. Two good candidates here. Coal mine master and mechanic master. Actually three if we count "pocketmaster"
Old 20 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #12
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Metal bezels will scratch but not shatter. Ceramic bezels are the opposite. But for general wear, ceramic tends to hold up better.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #13
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Sorry I know this has been discussed a lot but in terms of potential bezel discoloration any latest opinions on this?

Didn't really come to a verdict on all the threads I just read, though I'm leaning towards discoloration is just grime/smudges/dirt that can come off with acetone and a q tip? (is that something people do.
You got it. Being a solvent will remove finger smudges and grime, but it obviously won’t remove scratches.

I’ve seen many a yachtmaster where the bezel has looked great after many years of service, as does mine, but mine is in a rotation with other watches.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:26 AM   #14
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
You got it. Being a solvent will remove finger smudges and grime, but it obviously won’t remove scratches.

I’ve seen many a yachtmaster where the bezel has looked great after many years of service, as does mine, but mine is in a rotation with other watches.

Thanks! Mine would be in a rotation too, with many ceramic options, so I guess I shouldn’t worry too much. And I’m not really about scratches. I know the risks there and am ok with it. I’m less comfortable with the dirty uneven look of the blasted bezel part I’ve seen in some photos. But if this can be cleaned easily no big deal either.

Old 20 January 2020, 10:02 AM   #15
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Anyone who doesn't have trouble with 5 digit aluminium should be fine with the Yachty. Go G-Shock if you can't resist rubbing rocks into it.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:24 AM   #16
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

It’s a great model And it is great fitting model. It sits very nicely on the wrist and it’s something out of the ordinary. If you take the plunge I am sure you will be happy with it. It is quite dressy and as I rarely put on a suit anymore (read never) for me it was a little too dressy, regardless I was still sad to part with it.
Old 20 January 2020, 10:51 AM   #17
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
It’s a great model And it is great fitting model. It sits very nicely on the wrist and it’s something out of the ordinary. If you take the plunge I am sure you will be happy with it. It is quite dressy and as I rarely put on a suit anymore (read never) for me it was a little too dressy, regardless I was still sad to part with it.

Interesting thanks. I could actually use a little dressy at this point. I do like the high polish. I am looking at this against the Milgauss z blue. Been debating. I am giving up my SD43 (long story in another thread). I’m heavily leaning yachtmaster tho.

Old 20 January 2020, 10:57 AM   #18
Brew
"TRF" Member

The bezel is easily cleaned with a tooth brush and some dish soap. The sand blasted area can get marked, but it happens rarely and can be refinished when it's time for service. It is a very comfortable watch with some nice heft to it.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 12:17 PM   #19
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
The bezel is easily cleaned with a tooth brush and some dish soap. The sand blasted area can get marked, but it happens rarely and can be refinished when it's time for service. It is a very comfortable watch with some nice heft to it.
I am with Brew, it is one of my most comfortable watches, and after a lot of wear the bezel still looks amazing.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:34 AM   #20
IR201
"TRF" Member

I love it!!

Old 22 January 2020, 11:37 AM   #21
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
...you know the Bible speaks of things moth to rust.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:25 PM   #22
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
...you know the Bible speaks of things moth to rust.

Did not know that! But good lesson