The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 January 2020, 06:47 AM   #31
BamaHammer
Banned

Watch: Rolex Submariner
It's not the size of your box that matters, it's the size of your heart. Always remember that
BamaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #32
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
AD’s may well just give you any old box of the shelf, but that doesn’t change the fact that Rolex do actually specify which size box should be used for each watch type.

If you want your watch to be absolutely correct to the tiniest detail, then yes, you should ask for the correct box.

The white hang tag that comes with your watch tells you the correct size box Rolex intended for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:37 AM   #33
justintime1986
Banned

Though i prefer the large boxes, but i am okay with anyone
justintime1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #34
eiregnol
"TRF" Member

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uga2007 View Post
I wasn’t sure how much it mattered to have the “correct” size box or if was better to have the Large boxes. Stupid question, I know.
Definitely not stupid, with vintage watches the correct box can be important. So important there was a thread about it a while ago.
https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/.../t-486186.html

With moderns watches I wouldn’t worry about the correct box though
eiregnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I wasn’t sure how much it mattered to have the “correct” size box or if was better to have the Large boxes. Stupid question, I know.
Your white hang tag denotes which size box Rolex would like to see paired with the watch.
If the DJ is supposed to have the medium then simply switch boxes and all the ducks will be lined up perfectly because the DSSD is supposed to be paired with the large box
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:41 AM   #36
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Does anybody know which Rolex watch came in a large blue box with jewelry compartment. Is the box collectable? Thanks in advance.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 02:04 PM   #37
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I’ve never given this any thought! The smaller the box, the better as far as I’m concerned! They’re a bugger to store once you get a few of them!

You sure got that right, John! So many boxes, so little shelf space in the safe (yeh, I know, but that is where I like to keep 'em.)

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 02:46 PM   #38
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Bought the SD43 a couple years ago and they gave me a small box. I was surprised. Looked like a DJ box or ladies Rolex sized box. AD confirmed it was indeed the right box, but, went to the back and came back with a nice large box. I took it and was happy.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:12 PM   #39
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I think this happens far more often than folks think especially since the boxes aren't tied to the watch, I had that happen with an old f sub, they gave me a datejust box as I wore the watch out, didn't realize until a month later it was wrong and when I went back they just gave me a seadweller one, decided to just leave it and haven't seen the box in like 9 years as it is in another box in a storage room I have.

for S&Gs I checked the white tag on my BLRO and it has an M on it which according to what folks said above it comes with a medium box (which it did), but someone else above said stainless all came with small...so I'd wonder which is right and also if it really matters...for me, not so much
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:17 PM   #40
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
AD’s may well just give you any old box of the shelf, but that doesn’t change the fact that Rolex do actually specify which size box should be used for each watch type.

If you want your watch to be absolutely correct to the tiniest detail, then yes, you should ask for the correct box.

The white hang tag that comes with your watch tells you the correct size box Rolex intended for it.

another reason why I can see dealers keeping the white tag, so folks don't freak out about box size....I remember when everyone used to get hot and bothered over the hologram, or the date coded serial numbers....always something.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:01 PM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
another reason why I can see dealers keeping the white tag, so folks don't freak out about box size....I remember when everyone used to get hot and bothered over the hologram, or the date coded serial numbers....always something.
Its mainly only the obsessional WIS type that would worry about whatever size box, and it's only quite recently the box size was on any of the tags, and now mainly Rolex USA, as they are a separate company from the rest of the world Rolex SA.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 06:09 PM   #42
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
When I picked up my SD43 they asked me at the Rolex boutique which box size I prefer. I asked to see them as I was not aware they come in different sizes. I picked the M.

Quote:
I haven’t been able to find any info on this so I wanted to ask you all. In my excitement of picking up the D-Blue the other day, I didn’t realize until now they gave me the wrong Rolex box. I was supposed to get a Large with the D-Blue but they gave me a Medium instead. However, when I got the DJ41 over the summer, they were out of the Medium boxes so they had to give me a Large instead.

My question, and it may seem like a stupid one, is how important is it to have the correct Rolex box size? Should I go back to Mayors and exchange the Medium for the Large and then have 2 Large boxes? Or since I already have a Large box from the DJ41, should I simply just swap all the stuff from each box and then they will both be correct? Again, sorry if this was a dumb question but thank you for your input!
Old 20 January 2020, 06:34 PM   #43
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
As long as the Rolex symbol lines up perfectly, I am happy with the box... all the Rolex advertising shows it lining up perfectly on the box.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:29 PM   #44
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
I haven’t been able to find any info on this so I wanted to ask you all. In my excitement of picking up the D-Blue the other day, I didn’t realize until now they gave me the wrong Rolex box. I was supposed to get a Large with the D-Blue but they gave me a Medium instead. However, when I got the DJ41 over the summer, they were out of the Medium boxes so they had to give me a Large instead.

My question, and it may seem like a stupid one, is how important is it to have the correct Rolex box size? Should I go back to Mayors and exchange the Medium for the Large and then have 2 Large boxes? Or since I already have a Large box from the DJ41, should I simply just swap all the stuff from each box and then they will both be correct? Again, sorry if this was a dumb question but thank you for your input!
Steel = Small
TT = Medium
Yellow Gold/White Gold/Rose Gold = Large
Deepsea Black/Blue = Large (only exception to the box size)
Platinum = Extra Large
Novelty pieces such as the SARU = Extra Large

I can't remember if the SD43 (126600) is small or large...

Large box is worth more on the grey market than a small box.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #45
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Just in case people didn't know.

Rolex are no longer producing small boxes, i.e. they are no longer being circulated.

All Rolex watches sold at AD's are now given in medium size and up now.

I suspect if you're given a small box it will be old surplus the AD wishes to part with.

This latest change is reflective of the UK market.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:53 PM   #46
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Thus, do the small boxes make a good investment?
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:08 AM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

A box is just that a packaging box and not the best of those in the watch world.It was mainly pot luck what box you got and what the various ADs world-wide had on his shelves at point of sale.Although watches like the DSSD normally comes with the larger box but this is not always the case.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 26 February 2020, 12:23 AM   #48
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Size doesn’t matter

In all seriousness I don’t think it is a big deal. I got the large box with my Hulk and medium with my Daytona. Seems to just be whatever the SA grabs/has available
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:19 AM   #49
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I always loved the extra large box that the platinum watches come in. Just seemed kind of cool with the little side compartments etc. Never going to get one of these myself sadly.

Where does the dark green box fit in here then. The one that came when the Sky Dweller (or used to)?
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:41 AM   #50
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
It’s not the size of the box it’s the contents of the inside haha
All seriousness I just got a dd40. I made sure I got the larger box it came with so I don’t blame you for inquiring
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 07:53 PM   #51
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Small boxes = all SS watches
Medium boxes = all two tone watches
Large boxes = all pm watches

ADs grab what they grab though
That is not the case now. I know for example new GMTs in steel come with medium boxes. I had heard that small boxes are no longer available.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 07:59 PM   #52
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The box the watch came in is the original box. So you've got the full full set. Maybe this makes it more valuable? This "full set" business is so silly, particularly when it comes to a potential buyer arguing to a seller that their watch didn't come in the box it came in!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 08:01 PM   #53
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The box the watch came in is the original box. So you've got the full full set. Maybe this makes it more valuable? This "full set" business is so silly, particularly when it comes to a potential buyer arguing to a seller that their watch didn't come in the box it came in!
The watch doesn't come in a "box". It is delivered to the AD in a small clear plastic travel case known as a "coffin". The AD then marries it up to (hopefully) the correct box...but mistakes can happen.
Old 6 June 2020, 08:19 PM   #54
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
The watch doesn't come in a "box".
Every Rolex that I have owned came in a box. I have sat in the AD and watched them place it in a box, so I'm certain they all definitely came in a box.Come to think of it, every watch I've ever owned came in a box. Maybe some don't.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 09:17 PM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Every Rolex that I have owned came in a box. I have sat in the AD and watched them place it in a box, so I'm certain they all definitely came in a box.Come to think of it, every watch I've ever owned came in a box. Maybe some don't.
What he means when the watches are shipped from Rolex SA to all the ADs worldwide they are shipped in small plastic boxes with polystyrene inner to protect watch in shipment.Other boxes manuals etc are added by AD at point of sale, and all the box size stuff on tags has started in the past few years, mainly in the USA.But the green Rolex box is just a box and not the best box in the watch world of boxes no matter the size.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 June 2020, 09:46 PM   #56
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What he means when the watches are shipped from Rolex SA to all the ADs worldwide they are shipped in small plastic boxes with polystyrene inner to protect watch in shipment.Other boxes manuals etc are added by AD at point of sale, and all the box size stuff on tags has started in the past few years, mainly in the USA.But the green Rolex box is just a box and not the best box in the watch world of boxes no matter the size.
Thank you, that’s exactly what I meant