The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 4 January 2010, 03:27 AM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
If you already have a recent Rolex then you have a movement that beats at 28800, it has a very distinctive almost "chiming" tick to it, the speed is critical as well....very few fake movements sound the same or beat as fast.....if you know what they look like and sound like from the outside then you have a good starting point......but unless you open the case you will never know absolutely......
Many Many movements today have 28800BPH,like those from ETA but the only sure way is get the back off.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 4 January 2010, 03:45 AM   #32
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Fortunately many fakes have that dumb clear back which makes it very easy to see the fake movement! Dah!!!
Old 4 January 2010, 02:03 PM   #33
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
My head is smoking. TMI for my little noggin....
Old 4 January 2010, 02:19 PM   #34
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Fortunately many fakes have that dumb clear back which makes it very easy to see the fake movement! Dah!!!
Hey..... they're not all fakes....

Old 5 September 2010, 01:59 AM   #35
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeI View Post
A good way to tell that i have noticed, is that when you set the hands on the watch, a genuine watch will only rotate the hands when you turn clockwise which is the way all modern rolexes do. A fake will rotate counterclockwise.
Old post, new question. Does anyone know if the above applies to a 16520 with a 4030 movement?
Old 5 September 2010, 02:04 AM   #36
Michael M.
Banned

If you shake it and there's a whole lot of rotor noise coming from the movement, then it either fake, or it has some problems
Only use this technique on models manufactured after 1980, because some older GENUINE rolexes do have rotor noise.
Old 5 September 2010, 02:08 AM   #37
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
If you shake it and there's a whole lot of rotor noise coming from the movement, then it either fake, or it has some problems.
How do you define a lot...?
Old 9 September 2010, 08:23 PM   #38
weedbreeder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
If you shake it and there's a whole lot of rotor noise coming from the movement, then it either fake, or it has some problems
Only use this technique on models manufactured after 1980, because some older GENUINE rolexes do have rotor noise.
I agree with this one. My 1973 DJ has rotor noise, my dad's 1990ish DJ is silent.

Quote:
A good way to tell that i have noticed, is that when you set the hands on the watch, a genuine watch will only rotate the hands when you turn clockwise which is the way all modern rolexes do. A fake will rotate counterclockwise.
This I disagree. My DJ does the opposite. It retards time with clockwise turn of the crown. And RSC had mine verified original. I guess it's because mine's a vintage... http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/dummy.gif

wow! post number 1! Hi All!!!!
Old 10 September 2010, 06:53 AM   #39
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Both the 3000 movement and the 3035 movement operate opposite the new models... But, it's generally the newer models that are being pushed to the masses as genuine...
Old 10 September 2010, 08:40 AM   #40
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Both the 3000 movement and the 3035 movement operate opposite the new models... But, it's generally the newer models that are being pushed to the masses as genuine...
You'd think that they'd push bark since it's soooo popular.

Seriously - Good info. Thanks!
Old 13 September 2010, 11:17 AM   #41
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
As does the 4030 movement in the 16520. It also has a noisy rotor (which I experienced first hand and was confirmed as a 'trade' for the El Primero movement on the forum)
Old 21 September 2010, 01:37 PM   #42
Z-Dweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: All my children.
Here are some of the ways I can spot a fake before opening the case. Some were mentioned earlier. This pertains to the modern Rolex models.

Noisy autowinding rotor - Fake.

Crown not centered with crown guards - sits low (posteriorly) - Fake.

Glass has blue/green tinge when viewed on edge - Fake (not sapphire).

Date starts to change at 11:00 - Fake.

Bezel clicks should be two per minute marker (120 per full rotation) for a Sub (GMT IIc has one click per hour marker). If not - Fake.

Cyclops magnification is small (1.5x) - Fake (should be about 2.5x).

Listen to the "ticks" - about 2 per second? - Fake (Modern Rolex has 8 beats per second).

Large pearl on bezel - Fake.

Maxi dial and hands on pre-ceramic Sub - likely Fake.

Shape of oyster case - the back of the case is often flatter on a Fake.

Look at the quality of the stamping of the Coronet on the bracelet. If it looks illdefined, i.e. the fingers of the crown meld together, likely a Fake.

Triple-lock crown seems finicky to operate - Fake.

The first Rolex I bought was a Fake Rolex I purchased in China as a souvenir. Now I know what to look for. I really appreciate my real Rolex's now.

But beware, the counterfeiters are learning and getting better all the time.
Old 22 September 2010, 03:16 AM   #43
The Collector

You can also see if it has the "hacking" feature. Very few fakes I know of have it. When you pull the stem out to set the time, the second hand will stop if it is not an old Rolex.
Old 1 October 2010, 03:41 PM   #44
jamesdatejust

Wow nice topic. Does anybody know how the hands of a lady datejust (1984) 2135 move when the crown is turned clockwise?
Old 21 October 2010, 06:24 PM   #45
DoubleRedRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680-8
All these things you guys mention about date flipping and saphire crystals and bezel clicks is fine if you are looking at a $35 fake Rolex that you buy off the street in New York. NONE of these apply to the high end replicas coming out of some of these chinese factories in the last year or so that cost upwards of $500+. Even the movements are getting copied now so watch out. And not just stickers on the rotors anymore but fully engraved copies of the 3135 with red wheels and exact rotor. Ive seen them in china so i know they exist. Ive even seen exact copies of Kawasaki motorcycle dirtbikes right down to the last nut and bolt for 1/5 of the cost of the real one. I guess when you dont have to pay for R&D and your workers make $6 a day, you can make items a lot cheaper than the orig manufacturer.

But yes i do agree that a Rolex movement has more of a metalic sounding ping than an ETA movement does. When in doubt, take it to a Rolex dealer to have it checked.
Old 22 October 2010, 05:36 AM   #46
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRedRolex View Post
All these things you guys mention about date flipping and saphire crystals and bezel clicks is fine if you are looking at a $35 fake Rolex that you buy off the street in New York. NONE of these apply to the high end replicas coming out of some of these chinese factories in the last year or so that cost upwards of $500+. Even the movements are getting copied now so watch out. And not just stickers on the rotors anymore but fully engraved copies of the 3135 with red wheels and exact rotor. Ive seen them in china so i know they exist. Ive even seen exact copies of Kawasaki motorcycle dirtbikes right down to the last nut and bolt for 1/5 of the cost of the real one. I guess when you dont have to pay for R&D and your workers make $6 a day, you can make items a lot cheaper than the orig manufacturer.

But yes I do agree that a Rolex movement has more of a metalic sounding ping than an ETA movement does. When in doubt, take it to a Rolex dealer to have it checked.
I agree but I have spotted the best fakes that cost thousands by doing the date switch.
Old 26 October 2010, 03:10 AM   #47
linoleum123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector View Post
You can also see if it has the "hacking" feature. Very few fakes I know of have it. When you pull the stem out to set the time, the second hand will stop if it is not an old Rolex.
I just bought my very first rolex, a 1981 Oyster Perpetual no date Ref 1002. The second hand dont stop when setting time, how am I supposed to set the exact time?

Also the sweeping second doesnt seem perfectly smooths, looks like its moving like 3 times/second. Is this normal?
Old 26 October 2010, 05:01 AM   #48
level

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoleum123 View Post
I just bought my very first rolex, a 1981 Oyster Perpetual no date Ref 1002. The second hand dont stop when setting time, how am I supposed to set the exact time?

Also the sweeping second doesnt seem perfectly smooths, looks like its moving like 3 times/second. Is this normal?
The reference 1002 used calibers 1560/1570. These were not fast beat calibers like those used currently, they beat at 18000 bph, and the second hand would appear a bit more choppy than a modern Rolex. But they were excellent calibers and should give you a lot of years of service. I don't know if they had a hack feature, I'm sure someone will come along shortly with that information.

Just double checked and the cal. 1570 is 19800 bph.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:09 AM   #49
linoleum123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by level View Post
The reference 1002 used calibers 1560/1570. These were not fast beat calibers like those used currently, they beat at 18000 bph, and the second hand would appear a bit more choppy than a modern Rolex. But they were excellent calibers and should give you a lot of years of service. I don't know if they had a hack feature, I'm sure someone will come along shortly with that information.

Thanks for the info! :) I hope someone else can answer how to set to clock correctly within seconds.

I have another question about watches this old (1981), I just tried the watch in darkness and I could hardly see the time, can the luminous paint "get old"? It has a very fade glow.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:48 AM   #50
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Do fakes ever have a laser etched crown on the crystal?
Old 26 October 2010, 06:12 AM   #51
level

Quote:
Originally Posted by linoleum123 View Post

I have another question about watches this old (1981), I just tried the watch in darkness and I could hardly see the time, can the luminous paint "get old"? It has a very fade glow.
Your watch uses tritium which will decrease in brightness over time. At this point I would think most of the luminescence is gone.
Old 27 October 2010, 01:57 AM   #52
linoleum123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by level View Post
The reference 1002 used calibers 1560/1570. These were not fast beat calibers like those used currently, they beat at 18000 bph

I just tried to count the bpm on my watch and I counted 324 which equals 19440 bph. :)
Old 28 October 2010, 03:27 AM   #53
stephengreen
Banned

Watch: "d" sub date
Can anyone confirm which way a 5513 sub reacts to a clockwise turn of the crown?
Old 28 October 2010, 03:34 AM   #54
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
Quote:
Confused? I guess my wife's ladies YM sold by an AD i a fake ....
Old 7 November 2014, 04:46 AM   #55
d-rock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
100% correct... eta always sit lower (more posterior) than a Rolex movement. Take a look at some fakes and it becomes very clear.

.... BUT I still recommend examining the movement with your own eyes once you become familiar with Rolex movements.
Never say "always".
The "cloning" factories have adressed the lower crown position that would indicate the use of an eta or sw movement several years ago.
And cases that will employ both the eta/sellita and genuine 31XX movements have been circulating in the markets for at least 5 years that I know of.
As has been mentioned ( and yes I realize this is a very old thread and thought I might "update" it a bit) the only way to be SURE is to crack it open and have a look. And even then you need to "really" know what you're looking at as the cloning of the 28,800 vph, 31XX movement has come a "long" way.
Old 7 November 2014, 01:05 PM   #56
Finewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C, Omega PO
fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Do fakes ever have a laser etched crown on the crystal?
Yes seen many with it.
Old 6 January 2015, 03:04 AM   #57
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finewatch View Post
Yes seen many with it.
But with most fakes I have seen the crown is visible to the naked eye without any magnification. If I am correct you need a loop or something of the like to see it on a real Rolex.
Old 6 January 2015, 08:14 AM   #58
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedblades View Post
But with most fakes I have seen the crown is visible to the naked eye without any magnification. If I am correct you need a loop or something of the like to see it on a real Rolex.
It's probably not really done with a laser on the fakes...
Old 7 January 2015, 07:32 AM   #59
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
Quote:
Not so with older movements - see this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

651H : crown CW -> hands CW (Cellini)
727 : crown CW -> hands CW (Daytona 6263/5)
750 : crown CW -> hands CW (Cellini)
1225 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OD 6694)
1240 : crown CW -> hands CCW
1400 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Cellini)
1520 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Sub 5513)
1530 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Sub 5513)
1570 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OP)
1575 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ,Sub 1680,GMT)
1560 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Sub 5512,Explo 1016)
1565 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ)
1580 : crown CW -> hands CCW (MG 1019)
1601 : crown CW -> hands CW (Cellini)
1800 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Rolex lady)
2030 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OP 26/29/31mm)
2035 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ 26/29/31mm)
2130 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OP 26/29/31mm)
2135 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ 26/29/31mm)
2230 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OP 26/29/31mm)
2231 : crown CW -> hands CCW (OP 26/29/31mm)
2235 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ 26/29/31mm,YM 29/35 mm)
3000 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Sub 14060,Explo1,AK)
3035 : crown CW -> hands CCW (DJ)
3055 : crown CW -> hands CCW (daydate)
3075 : crown CW -> hands CCW (GMT)
3085 : crown CW -> hands CW - hour hand alone CCW (GMT2)
3130 : crown CW -> hands CW (Sub 14060M,Explo1)
3131 : crown CW -> hands CW (Milgauss)
3132 : crown CW -> hands CW (Explo1 39mm)
3135 : crown CW -> hands CW (DJ,TOG,Sub Date,SDDS)
3136 : crown CW -> hands CW (DJ 2)
3155 : crown CW -> hands CW (DD)
3156 : crown CW -> hands CW (DD 2)
3175 : crown CW -> hands CW (GMT)
3185 : crown CW -> hands CW - hour hand alone CW (GMT2,Explo2)
3186 : crown CW -> hands CW - hour hand alone CW (GMT2,Explo2)
3187 : crown CW -> hands CW - hour hand alone CW (Explo2 42mm)
4030 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Daytona 16520)
4130 : crown CW -> hands CW (Daytona)
4160 : crown CW -> hands CW (YM II)
5035 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Oysterquartz DJ)
5055 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Oysterquartz DD)
6220 : crown CW -> hands CW (Cellini Quartz)
6621 : crown CW -> hands CW (Cellini Quartz)
7040 : crown CW -> hands CW (Prince)
9001 : crown CW -> hands CCW (Sky Dweller)
Closed Thread