The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2022, 01:13 AM   #31
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Sometimes you just don't feel it with a watch, & sometimes you do. Different folk have different taste.

I personally love my BB58. I'm down to a 3 watch rotation: BLNR, BB58 & Speedmaster.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 01:41 AM   #32
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

The BB58 is close to perfection but I understand the boring feeling or something being off. I didn't have this feeling with the 925. The brushing is different and the thing I prefered over the regular models is that the side is brushed as well.

I think the BB58 black and blue would look better with

1. brushed sides
2. lug holes
3. updated clasp and bracelet such as the BB PRO and boutique version (I'm positive this will happen next year)
4. Updated crown design, make it thicker, a bit smaller
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 01:47 AM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Nothing mysterious about this watch to me. I like it a lot, but not enough to actually buy one. I always thought I like the blue one the most, until I saw them in person. I think I prefer the black one on the brown leather strap. That's a nice combo.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 01:48 AM   #34
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

I get what the OP is saying. I've bought, owned, then sold several. First was a Blue one which while gorgeous didn't really resonate long term and it got sold. I then bought one of the new Silver ones. Also didn't grow into it (though it is a very good looking and nice wearing watch). I figured at that point maybe it was the size, so I bought the Black Bay Ceramic 41mm version. Also a great watch...that didn't find love on my wrist.

I finally figured it out. Turns out I'm a "date guy" who really misses/notices a watch with no date on it - and - I don't happen to love the snowflake hour hand. I wanted to like watches with no date due to cleaner dials and such, but in the end it is what it is, so my only remaining Tudor is my North Flag!

They are great watches that I still recommend to folks, but for me personally they just aren't for me (luckily for me it didn't cost much to find that out).
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 03:48 AM   #35
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

The bb58 for me is great, sure it’s not perfect but it’s really good.
Like a modern 5510 almost.

At the moment the ‘perfect Rolex’ is my little seiko
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 03:52 AM   #36
opresso
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I have the first-generation ETA smiley in black along with the black dial BB58 and blue dial BB58. I find myself wearing my 16800 sub most of the time but do still get these in on rotation time to time.
opresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:05 AM   #37
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Almost the same exact experience for me. Owned the blue dial, currently own the black dial and just not bonding with it. If I had to guess, it’s the clasp and lack of on-the-fly micro adjustment.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:17 AM   #38
Bayarea7
"TRF" Member

Imma throw a wrench in the pile and say maybe try a Pelagos lmao
Bayarea7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 05:37 AM   #39
Frog7151
"TRF" Member

Watch: Looking
I love the BB58. I would buy one immediately if it had a date.
Frog7151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 11:36 AM   #40
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I bought the OG and loved it. Still do.

Then I got the Blue Dial and I just don't feel the same about blue. So, I sold it for what I paid to a close friend. He loves it!
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:27 PM   #41
Atr365
"TRF" Member

Owned BB58 a few months after release. I worth it ever since as my beater watch, I would cycle other watches at once a week or else I sell it end of the year.

I thought I would hate it due to the rivet - it does not bother me. Looking for late model Sub or 5513/5512 to swap.
Atr365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:28 PM   #42
Atr365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog7151 View Post
I love the BB58. I would buy one immediately if it had a date.
BB Pro?
Atr365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:39 PM   #43
axljack
"TRF" Member

Black BB58 imho is better than a sub. I'll even go to say that Tudor should be selling the BB58 at £5k rather than what they sell it for.

If you don't feel it you don't feel it though....move on to other things ..it's all good
axljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:48 PM   #44
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
It's not the whole "should have gotten a Sub" thing
are you sure about that?

as long as you are not already super matured watch guy who is way past all the cliches and vanities, then having a watch on your wrist that basically is the low cost version of Rolex is not going to fill you with bliss
Old 14 June 2022, 11:11 PM   #45
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Ever have a similar feeling about a watch?
I had the exact same feeling about the same watch.

I also had the same experience with my last Submariner (6 digit, 11 series) except that it didn't last as long as the Tudor.

And despite being the best watch ever, after a couple of years I parted with my Speedmaster as well.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 11:46 PM   #46
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
are you sure about that?

as long as you are not already super matured watch guy who is way past all the cliches and vanities, then having a watch on your wrist that basically is the low cost version of Rolex is not going to fill you with bliss
Ouch! But that is the truth.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 12:40 AM   #47
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I felt meh about the blue and owned it for barely a song. I’d also like to see the black without the mix and gilt , white. I would buy a non gilt blAck for sure
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:56 AM   #48
matt.w
"TRF" Member

Been feeling the same, except that its kept me from buying to begin with.

I'm the kind of contrarian where I actually prefer "Tudor" instead of "Rolex" on the dial.

But I do miss some of the Sub cues- scalloped bezel, crown guards- and also don't like the metal surrounds on the applied markers.

Should probably give the Pelagos FXD a second look, but really my heart is set on a 79090 or 79190 and that's all there is to it.
matt.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:10 AM   #49
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
are you sure about that?

I sold a nice 1970 5513 which I sold recently . Almost entirely due to the Rolex brand starting to feel ugly and not something I wanted to be a part of.

After a few weeks I purchased a bb58 which makes more sense to me.
I still have a Rolex which I’m quick to tell people “it’s like a Tudor , part of the same company etc” in an attempt to give it some kudos
Old 15 June 2022, 02:13 AM   #50
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
and I’m quick to tell people it’s like a Tudor , part of the same company etc in an attempt to give it some kudos
But people don't even know what a Tudor is?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:28 AM   #51
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
But people don't even know what a Tudor is?
Perfect !
Old 15 June 2022, 02:31 AM   #52
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Felt/Feel the same way about the 58's although I discovered it before purchasing. I've see both the blue and black versions at My AD periodically and though both look like nice watches I always find them a bit of a let down compared to all the great photos I see on TRF. They are watches that seem to do everything that everybody wants them to do. The size reduction, the thickness reduction, in-house movement, power reserve, etc. But it just seems like there's nothing really exciting about them. I'm not sure what it is but I convinced myself it's not for me.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 03:23 AM   #53
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Felt/Feel the same way about the 58's although I discovered it before purchasing. I've see both the blue and black versions at My AD periodically and though both look like nice watches I always find them a bit of a let down compared to all the great photos I see on TRF. They are watches that seem to do everything that everybody wants them to do. The size reduction, the thickness reduction, in-house movement, power reserve, etc. But it just seems like there's nothing really exciting about them. I'm not sure what it is but I convinced myself it's not for me.
I just wish the bb58 that’s on my wrist was a Tempus Machina 216a

But for now it’s nice for a couple of days a week
Old 15 June 2022, 03:24 AM   #54
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Perfect !
x2
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 03:35 AM   #55
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Its interesting how we perceive things isn't it.

I'm not suggesting the bb58 is a 6538 big crown (or 5510) - but it clearly takes its inspiration from that watch, probably closer to the 5510 being thinner. Yet the 6538 is probably a grail for most of us.

Now if that bb58 was a reissue by Rolex (I know, something they will never do), and it said Rolex on the dial and was limited to 5,510 pieces (or less; yes I know, something they will never do), I do wonder if this conversation we are having would be the polar opposite.

So I just wonder how much brand perception is clouding judgement on these pieces. I do suffer with the perception of quality, even when it comes to my 5 digit rolexes, I know I wear them less, because I'm spoiled by the finish and bracelet of all 6 digit models.

Show any non watch fan those two watches above and ask them why the one on the left is 2k and often moved on, yet the other is over 100k desperately coveted.

p.s. we know why, that perceived rarity and heritage is not in dispute.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:16 AM   #56
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOP View Post
Basically this, i started to love the OG Black/Gold once I sold mine and was genuinely thinking of buying it back. I am looking at other Tudor's, but without the doubt will always be present: "It's not a Rolex".

It's a mark on Tudor I don't think many can ignore.
‘It’s not a Rolex’ is exactly why I like mine. I also own a 5 digit sub.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:30 AM   #57
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Its interesting how we perceive things isn't it.

I'm not suggesting the bb58 is a 6538 big crown (or 5510) - but it clearly takes its inspiration from that watch, probably closer to the 5510 being thinner. Yet the 6538 is probably a grail for most of us.

Now if that bb58 was a reissue by Rolex (I know, something they will never do), and it said Rolex on the dial and was limited to 5,510 pieces (or less; yes I know, something they will never do), I do wonder if this conversation we are having would be the polar opposite.

So I just wonder how much brand perception is clouding judgement on these pieces. I do suffer with the perception of quality, even when it comes to my 5 digit rolexes, I know I wear them less, because I'm spoiled by the finish and bracelet of all 6 digit models.

Show any non watch fan those two watches above and ask them why the one on the left is 2k and often moved on, yet the other is over 100k desperately coveted.

p.s. we know why, that perceived rarity and heritage is not in dispute.
The uncomfortable truth is that both Tudor and Rolex sport models have transitioned from tools to tool’ish jewelry to full-on luxury Veblen goods, so brand perception is essentially the whole deal.

That’s partially why I have no interest in Rolex watches post 5-digit series (114270 is 5-digit in all but name.) They’re the last of the tooli’ish era.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:34 AM   #58
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

I think you should try out a pelagos
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:30 AM   #59
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I picked up my first one about a year ago, the blue dial. On paper AND on wrist, it was an amazing watch. Amazing proportions, 39mm size and thickness is JUST right. Comfortable, nice modern movement with great accuracy and PR.

But after a while I wasn't really wearing it much, and I couldn't really figure out why I didn't like it more than I did. It maybe the only watch I've ever owned where I felt that way, other watches I can articulate something I don't like or a deal breaking feature. Couldn't do it with the BB58, but something just left me cold. I ended up selling it.

But I kept thinking about the watch, so about a month ago I picked up the "OG" black/gilt version, thinking maybe it was the blue dial of my first that I wasn't bonding with. But I'm kind of having the same issues. It's not making its way on to my wrist as much as I think it should, and I honestly can't figure out why.

It's not the whole "should have gotten a Sub" thing, as I've owned both 5 and 6 digit Subs in the past. Definitely not the faux rivets, they don't bother me at all.

I guess the watch and design can be a bit "boring" or "sterile", but that's not it either. I've owned plain 3-handers that I've really enjoyed in the past like the Explorer I.

I guess this sometimes happens with watches, but honestly this is the first one. By all accounts the BB58 should be one of my all-time favorite watches, but it's not.

Ever have a similar feeling about a watch?

Yes! Exactly same feeling. Perfect & boring = confusing. Sold it and bought a NM 21 fxd, a watch full of charm:) Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 05:44 AM   #60
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Purchased the black Bay 58 black and sold it didn’t like the look or the fit. . Then bought a blue 58 but still didn’t like the fit, sold it. And discovered you can buy a half link so bought another blue one , fits great , love it. Looks and feels like a four digit Rolex without the four digit Rolex prices and no need to worry about where and when you wear it.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote