The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 June 2018, 03:37 AM   #31
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
I have never had the crown come off on my 15202 however I have had a host of other movement and bracelet related problems. The movement problems were so extensive that AP finally replaced the entire movement. Since then it's been running fine but these movements can be delicate based on the flatness of the design and the tight tolerances.

From a winding/date perspective I have always found that the crown is particularly small and difficult to wind and even more so to change the non-quickset date. A few years back I was touring the AP factory and noticed a winding tool on the bench of a watch maker who was working on the 2121 (Jumbo) movement. When I got back home I asked my AD if they could source one of these tools as it would likely make the date changing process much easier. A week later they called and asked that I come in. Not only did they have the tool but it was a much more deluxe version that I had seen at the factory. A few pictures below - this thing has been a life saver.

That’s really cool! So one side is for turning the crown and the other is for watches with pushers I assume?
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 11:33 PM   #32
Andrew NYC
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, that’s correct. Inside the leather case are different tips that fit the various AP cowns. Pretty cool little tool and a godsend for those date changes.
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 12:46 AM   #33
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NYC View Post
I have never had the crown come off on my 15202 however I have had a host of other movement and bracelet related problems. The movement problems were so extensive that AP finally replaced the entire movement. Since then it's been running fine but these movements can be delicate based on the flatness of the design and the tight tolerances.

From a winding/date perspective I have always found that the crown is particularly small and difficult to wind and even more so to change the non-quickset date. A few years back I was touring the AP factory and noticed a winding tool on the bench of a watch maker who was working on the 2121 (Jumbo) movement. When I got back home I asked my AD if they could source one of these tools as it would likely make the date changing process much easier. A week later they called and asked that I come in. Not only did they have the tool but it was a much more deluxe version that I had seen at the factory. A few pictures below - this thing has been a life saver.

AP Adjustment Tool by Andrew Cohen, on Flickr

AP Adjustment Tool by Andrew Cohen, on Flickr
on that note, it would make sense to produce Jumbo with no date

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 01:25 AM   #34
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Ouch! After a full week of wear while overseas, I pulled the crown out to adjust the time and “POP”, the crown popped right off. I still have 2 months remaining on my 3-year warranty, will this be covered?

I seem to have seen this happening frequently with some here on the forum. Can anyone share their experience with this? Was it covered by warranty? Did they have to send it back to Switzerland for repair and, if so, how long was the turnaround?

I am a little upset about the timing with the summer heat rolling around as it is usually my go-to watch with a suit during the summer.

I will take it to the boutique in Tokyo tomorrow to see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Achilles heel of the calibre 2121.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 01:27 AM   #35
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
"They said that this model is a little prone to the crown coming off" . Totally unacceptable for a watch/brand of this calibre and price point.
Is a know issue since 1972 with calibre 2121. Because of its thinness the way the crown engages makes it prone to it.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 08:56 PM   #36
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I wore a RO Jumbo Perpetual for years and no issues with the crown. But it is delicate compared to many watches. A sporty, not a sports watch. In the end I traded it for a platinum Day Date 40 which can take a beating better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 12:19 PM   #37
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but does anyone know what's the size of crown on 15202? I cant seem to find the winding tool from AP so thinking to buy third party tool but havent' measured the size of crown in mm.

Does anyone know please?
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 12:53 PM   #38
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
it depends on when you bought the 15202. The later model 2019 or newer has a bigger crown so it's easier to pull the crown without pulling it too hard.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 04:54 AM   #39
charlie2888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2004 View Post
it depends on when you bought the 15202. The later model 2019 or newer has a bigger crown so it's easier to pull the crown without pulling it too hard.
Are you sure this is true? I have never heard this before or noticed based on pictures comparing my 2020 15202 to earlier versions / the 5402. Looks to be the same size.
charlie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 05:48 AM   #40
OH2004
"TRF" Member

This is what I've heard. Mine, which is fairly new doesn't have the crown issue when I set the date and time.
Old 6 January 2021, 06:31 AM   #41
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but does anyone know what's the size of crown on 15202? I cant seem to find the winding tool from AP so thinking to buy third party tool but havent' measured the size of crown in mm.

Does anyone know please?
I too had difficulty turning the crown and look for solutions ( i was looking @ non-OEM as AP said it will take months) Called Clearwater Service center FL and they put me in the waiting list for the tool (actually ordered one for me from Sweden). Took ~ 2 weeks and $170?? .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #42
OH2004
"TRF" Member

This is what i use as well
Old 6 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #43
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Up on reading others they claim damaging crown using non-OEM. Was willing to wait for OEM tool. highly recommend to others.
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 10:23 PM   #44
drhk
"TRF" Member

Don't forget: you all appreciate having one of the most outstanding pieces of watchmaking carrying one of the thinnest movements in history. So it's no surprise that these pieces are a little more delicate if used as a daily wearer although they are perfectly apt to that.
There's a tiny little screw holdingvthe crown inside. If it comes loose, the crown comes off. In a more robust movement the screw is bigger and does not become loose as easily.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #45
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
I had the same issue with mine a couple of months ago and had to send it to clearwater for service and they didnt even mentioned about the detached crown so I think this is somewhat of a common issue.
I have also an ROC but the 15202 is much more delicate and now Im very careful when pulling the crown.
Old 9 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #46
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post

Does anyone know please?
4.5 mm
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #47
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I just use a piece of rubber surgical tubing which just fits over the crown and can be used to either wind or with a little pinch allow it to be pulled up for date setting.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote