The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2021, 12:45 PM   #1
RLXSRGN
"TRF" Member

New Royal Oak Flying Tourbillon

Got a chance to see one in person (26530OR), just astonishing at how mesmerizing it is. I wanted to know what others thought of it in relation to a ceramic PC openworked 26585CE. I'm torn about which I want more...

Just wanted to hear thoughts on who else has seen these two in the flesh!
RLXSRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:57 PM   #2
WatchLover1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLXSRGN View Post
Got a chance to see one in person (26530OR), just astonishing at how mesmerizing it is. I wanted to know what others thought of it in relation to a ceramic PC openworked 26585CE. I'm torn about which I want more...

Just wanted to hear thoughts on who else has seen these two in the flesh!
I have not seen both before but the tourbillon re-sale value will not be good in my opinion but the ceramic openworked PC will rise in value.. on a side note, resale value is really secondary because there will not be many personnel who are willing to part a huge load of money to purchase these 2 timepieces on a secondary market.. If I can choose one, I will choose the tourbillon..
WatchLover1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 01:03 PM   #3
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I would take the tourbillon and add the double balance ceramic openworked. In terms of value, i would think these new tourbillons will hold value well in the future as AP is really controlling who gets these pieces now.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 01:26 PM   #4
RLXSRGN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLover1234 View Post
I have not seen both before but the tourbillon re-sale value will not be good in my opinion but the ceramic openworked PC will rise in value.. on a side note, resale value is really secondary because there will not be many personnel who are willing to part a huge load of money to purchase these 2 timepieces on a secondary market.. If I can choose one, I will choose the tourbillon..

I don't think the reason for getting either one of these two watches would be re-sale value.

I was wondering which one would be the better long term love/keeper. I see the initial captivating feature of the flying tourbillon but the perpetual calendar openworked might be the watch you find yourself staring at more long term since it has so many details.
RLXSRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Reign
"TRF" Member

I prefer the Tourbillon if you don’t have a 15407ST. The whirlwind is mesmerizing and the dial is so interesting under different lighting
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:16 PM   #6
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

I’ve had the pleasure of having both in hand at the same time.

Given my wrist size, the 26585CE fits me better. However, the 26530OR is also a very special piece. It is thicker than the 26585CE and wears larger.

You can’t go wrong either way, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLXSRGN View Post
I don't think the reason for getting either one of these two watches would be re-sale value.

I was wondering which one would be the better long term love/keeper. I see the initial captivating feature of the flying tourbillon but the perpetual calendar openworked might be the watch you find yourself staring at more long term since it has so many details.
I've caught myself randomly staring into my 26585CE. It's an absolute work of art. In different lighting settings, certain parts of the movement stand out more than others. There's a depth to it that's hard to explain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 23F066FC-213A-4BF1-9290-F4D164E1B375.jpeg (152.8 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpeg 2B967F9C-F61A-4733-8D05-5AA634F29CD4.jpeg (131.3 KB, 399 views)
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:39 AM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post

Given my wrist size, the 26585CE fits me better. However, the 26530OR is also a very special piece. It is thicker than the 26585CE and wears larger.

I've caught myself randomly staring into my 26585CE. It's an absolute work of art. In different lighting settings, certain parts of the movement stand out more than others. There's a depth to it that's hard to explain.
amazing set of watches, really like this particular dial of the new RO tourbillion. Haven't seen the OR version other than in renderings.

I do agree the 26585CE is the ultimate grail such a cool piece
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:09 AM   #8
wiswrist
2024 Pledge Member

I had a chance to try on the SS version back in November. It is killer!

Old 15 January 2021, 09:31 PM   #9
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I am lucky enough to have both and I think they can nicely co-exist in a collection. I must confess though I tend not to wear the steel tourbillon when I am likely to scratch it (ie when I am drinking!). No bad choices! I prefer the steel to the RG simply because it is a bit less “obvious”.
Old 16 January 2021, 02:47 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswrist View Post
I had a chance to try on the SS version back in November. It is killer!

That's what I'd go for, if I was in the market for a $150k watch
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:49 AM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post

All I can say is WOW!
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 07:10 AM   #12
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I love the the dial of the tourbillon but the lack of a real seconds hand or a tourbillon that shows seconds is really an issue for me. Even on asymmetric arm of the tourbillon would satisfy me. Anyway that is perhaps my own issue..
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote