The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2018, 04:52 AM   #1
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Radiomir 1940 models in 45mm w/out "Auto" on dial?

• I got a chance to try on a range of Panerai models a few days ago. I loved the size and feel of the 45mm Radiomir 1940 case-- perfect fit for me.
  • The solid lugs were a way better choice for me than the wire lugs on the other Radiomir collection, and the slim case (height-wise) is really lovely.
  • The "Automatic" text on the dial just kills a lot of the potential models for me-- it throws off the balance, the mismatched font drives me nuts, etc. Just a no-go.
  • Are there discontinued models of the Radiomir 1940 I should be looking around for that are in 45mm but with a manual wind movement or that don't have Automatic on the dial?
  • I'm okay with the Black Seal dial text as that at least matches font-wise.
  • Any idea if there are upcoming models later this year/early next that may fit my requirements? I've looked and can't find much.

Many thanks!
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

628?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Panerai seems to really play games with the Radiomir 1940 in that it's very difficult to get a base model without excess text on the dial in a 45-47mm case size. The 512 is a perfect example of a perfect watch, but it's just a tad too small for most. There was the Marina Militare version (PAM 587), but again the dial isn't what I think you are looking for. I think the best example of the Radiomir 1940 was the PAM 622, but it was made in very limited amount for Russian Paneristi. There is also a PAM 784, which is my favorite iteration, but again with a Minerva movement and is very hard to find.

I recently bought the PAM 514 and while I do love it for what it is, I would be kidding if I didn't admit I wish it didn't have the date.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 01:02 PM   #4
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Panerai seems to really play games with the Radiomir 1940 in that it's very difficult to get a base model without excess text on the dial in a 45-47mm case size. The 512 is a perfect example of a perfect watch, but it's just a tad too small for most. There was the Marina Militare version (PAM 587), but again the dial isn't what I think you are looking for. I think the best example of the Radiomir 1940 was the PAM 622, but it was made in very limited amount for Russian Paneristi. There is also a PAM 784, which is my favorite iteration, but again with a Minerva movement and is very hard to find.

I recently bought the PAM 514 and while I do love it for what it is, I would be kidding if I didn't admit I wish it didn't have the date.
Yeah, the 512 would be ideal for me if it were the 45mm. Normally I favor watches around 40-41mm (7.75-8" wrist), but when I tried on a 512 it just felt tiny and didn't look proportional. You're absolutely right that it'd be perfect if it were the 45mm-- that smooth manual wind, no date, the slim case, simple sandwich dial, drilled lugs.

I think the 587 is just too big. I tried on the 42, 45, and 47mm cases a few days ago in Vegas and the 45mm Radiomir 1940 case is just right. Sits nicely on the wrist, comfortable, and low-slung enough for my taste.

Really too bad that there's nothing right now that matches what I'm after. It's a bummer that Panerai doesn't have more in the 45mm Radiomir 1940...I'd imagine it would be quite popular.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I recently sold my 512 and took a beating ($4200). Paid $6790 new from AD.
Actually quite liked it, the small pillow case and clean 2 line dial. Would’ve kept it as a “dress watch” but just picked up a Lange Saxonia Thin so one had to go. Between the 512 and my 557 the former is indeed too small for a panerai and for that reason doesn’t feel like a pam.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 01:09 PM   #6
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Actually quite liked it, the small pillow case and clean 2 line dial. Would’ve kept it as a “dress watch” but just picked up a Lange Saxonia Thin so one had to go. Between the 512 and my 557 the former is indeed too small for a panerai and for that reason doesn’t feel like a pam.
How big are your wrists? I love the look of the piece but I think it's too small on me. What are your thoughts? Keep in mind everything looks bigger in these pics close up. I didn't get any pics of the 45mm on since it was at a different boutique.

Old 16 April 2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Statos
"TRF" Member

That fits you very well.
Statos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 02:12 PM   #8
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statos View Post
That fits you very well.

Really? Maybe it’s misleading in the pics. When I looked at a full length mirror it looked tiny. I’ll swing by the boutique to try on the same one this week.
Old 17 April 2018, 09:43 AM   #9
Statos
"TRF" Member

Whoa thats a 42mm on 7 3/4" wrists? It must be the pictures. I have 7 1/2 inch wrists and I think 42mm is a tad small for me. I am looking at where the lugs hit the outer part of your wrists and I never would have guessed that was a 42mm watch.
Old 17 April 2018, 10:40 AM   #10
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statos View Post
Whoa thats a 42mm on 7 3/4" wrists? It must be the pictures. I have 7 1/2 inch wrists and I think 42mm is a tad small for me. I am looking at where the lugs hit the outer part of your wrists and I never would have guessed that was a 42mm watch.
I guess I was wrong! I just remeasured my wrists and they're coming in at 7.25" with a little extra room like I'd wear a watch. I guess my wrist has gotten smaller? I've lost a little weight but gained some muscle over the last few months and apparently it came out of my wrists.

How does the sizing of that 42mm look on me from your eye? I'm going to try to get some more pics at the Panerai boutique here in San Diego in the next few days. There's a trusted seller who has a 512 for a great price so I'm tempted to snap one up. So many fun straps, and the drilled lugs make it easy to change straps without scratching the case.
Old 17 April 2018, 12:21 PM   #11
Statos
"TRF" Member

From the pics I think it looks good but you have to be the one that is happy with it.
Old 25 April 2018, 12:08 AM   #12
azcii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
$4200.. Lucky buyer. I would've bought it from you if you lived in Europe
azcii is offline   Reply With Quote