The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2018, 02:20 PM   #31
patek2301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
What if you just compare 5164a and 5164r. Which will you choose?
Well i had the same dilemma.

But then again i asked myself, what's my definition of daily? To me its a watch that i can wear with both shirt/ shirt with suit. It also should be a watch that is subtle (people will still know its a patek but doesn't attract the same attention as a Richard Mille, which i don't really like), and lastly it should be a durable watch.

I meet people all sorts of status every day, and i don't really want to be wearing a full gold patek watch when i meet someone very senior/ successful and they are only wearing a stainless steel/ WG watch. It doesn't really give a nice impression.

Taking all the above into consideration, i went with the 5164a.
patek2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 02:24 PM   #32
patek2301
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=whatwhat;8512513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Go for the 5711R, you only live once, and PP can polish your watch if they must.

Not sure whether I can handle it or not. Just 23 years old.
Im also around your age.

i dont think wearing a daily 5711r/ 5164r gives a good impression. then again it depends on where you work and what type of impression you want to give. If you run your own company, then you can do whatever you want, but if not, ill stick with a 5164a.

Don't get me wrong both the 5164r and 5711r are amazing watches. Just dont think it should be worn daily, especially by a 23 year old.

Just my 0.02
Old 23 April 2018, 03:17 PM   #33
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patek2301 View Post
Well i had the same dilemma.

But then again i asked myself, what's my definition of daily? To me its a watch that i can wear with both shirt/ shirt with suit. It also should be a watch that is subtle (people will still know its a patek but doesn't attract the same attention as a Richard Mille, which i don't really like), and lastly it should be a durable watch.

I meet people all sorts of status every day, and i don't really want to be wearing a full gold patek watch when i meet someone very senior/ successful and they are only wearing a stainless steel/ WG watch. It doesn't really give a nice impression.

Taking all the above into consideration, i went with the 5164a.
I understand what you mean and really appreciate for you advice. Actually, I agree with what you said. But do you think that 5164r is not kind of traditional rose gold watch? It is a rose gold with tropical strap. Seams like it is not bling like the traditional gold watch. I am so annoyed because I will get my 5712a in a year and plan to order another one. I want a different watch, the color, the material and others but I am also worry about my age. You know, it is too young for a gold watch.
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 03:42 PM   #34
dmash
"TRF" Member

I'm 28. In my experience, I can tell you with utmost certainty, that an all gold sport model watch such as a 5711r is just a no-no....at least where I've lived in Europe and the USA. It just comes across as flashy and honestly a bit pompous. This is the case *ESPECIALLY* if you are working under anyone at your job. I know it's easy to get the green light on a forum, and for some to say 'who cares, just wear it'...... but the truth is, your boss better be wearing a Patek Grand Complication if you're sporting a $50k all gold Patek. If he/she is strapping on a Seamaster, that's not a good look for you, nor your future. and even if this isn't the case, you own your own company and pulling down 7 figures.....it's still a bad look in my opinion. It just exudes a bit of arrogance at such a young age. Flat out, people will judge you, I can guarantee it.

Save the all gold for milestones later on in your career. Something like a 5164a? That's a perfect choice and will fly under the radar. Despite the price tag, that, you can wear, even if your boss wears a Seiko. It gives off a completely different vibe, and doesn't come across the same as an all gold piece.

Just my 2c, as I'm close to your age and can relate. It's easy to get consumed on the internet looking at pictures, and thinking 'man that's a beautiful watch!'.....but you also need to take into consideration the actual wearability of the model in question. This is a prime example.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 04:08 PM   #35
patek2301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I'm 28. In my experience, I can tell you with utmost certainty, that an all gold sport model watch such as a 5711r is just a no-no....at least where I've lived in Europe and the USA. It just comes across as flashy and honestly a bit pompous. This is the case *ESPECIALLY* if you are working under anyone at your job. I know it's easy to get the green light on a forum, and for some to say 'who cares, just wear it'...... but the truth is, your boss better be wearing a Patek Grand Complication if you're sporting a $50k all gold Patek. If he/she is strapping on a Seamaster, that's not a good look for you, nor your future. and even if this isn't the case, you own your own company and pulling down 7 figures.....it's still a bad look in my opinion. It just exudes a bit of arrogance at such a young age. Flat out, people will judge you, I can guarantee it.

Save the all gold for milestones later on in your career. Something like a 5164a? That's a perfect choice and will fly under the radar. Despite the price tag, that, you can wear, even if your boss wears a Seiko. It gives off a completely different vibe, and doesn't come across the same as an all gold piece.

Just my 2c, as I'm close to your age and can relate. It's easy to get consumed on the internet looking at pictures, and thinking 'man that's a beautiful watch!'.....but you also need to take into consideration the actual wearability of the model in question. This is a prime example.

re:above, I guess you can wear the gold watches on the weekend, but considering that this is a daily watch and your young age, i think the 5164a is a better choice
Old 23 April 2018, 04:26 PM   #36
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice analysis. But as I posted before, do you think that 5164r is not kind of traditional rose gold watch? It is with tropical strap and not shine.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:35 PM   #37
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice analysis. But as I posted before, do you think that 5164r is not kind of traditional rose gold watch? It is with tropical strap and not shine.
I personally like the 5164a more than the 5164r, so I wouldn't even suggest that to begin with. The black dial/strap on the 5164a looks better than the brown dial/strap on the 5164r. Not to mention it's an extra 15k euros (not sure in USD, probably $20k).

Just my opinion. I'd rather have a 5164a and a 5196g (a nice sport + dress combo) than just a 5164r.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:37 PM   #38
patek2301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is more subtle than the 5711r for sure.

But as a daily it will really be a scratch magnet.

My preference will still be 5164a. Sport watches look better in steel, but judging from your post, i guess you really like gold watches.

At the end of the day, you should follow your heart. We are just here to give our opinions.
Old 23 April 2018, 04:38 PM   #39
patek2301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I personally like the 5164a more than the 5164r, so I wouldn't even suggest that to begin with. The black dial/strap on the 5164a looks better than the brown dial/strap on the 5164r. Not to mention it's an extra 15k euros (not sure in USD, probably $20k).

Just my opinion. I'd rather have a 5164a and a 5196g (a nice sport + dress combo) than just a 5164r.
I sold my 5164r and bought a 5164a and 5227r (pre owned)
Old 23 April 2018, 04:41 PM   #40
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patek2301 View Post
I sold my 5164r and bought a 5164a and 5227r (pre owned)

One could truly utilize those in a 2 watch collection, if he desired. A very nice combo
Old 23 April 2018, 04:51 PM   #41
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
As a 23 year-old any Patek you wear is gonna rub some people the wrong way. In my opinion, that's their problem and shouldn't effect your decision on the watch YOU want to wear. If I'm in your shoes I go 5711r and wear it as a daily. Further down the road you can add the 64a if you like that complication and want to add a little variety.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:56 PM   #42
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
r
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 07:07 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the 64R is nice, but not for me, as its too brown with the strap and dial. I like the brown dial on the 11r with a RG bracelet.

Id pick the 64A vs the R based on the dial/strap colors alone, not even counting my preference for white metals.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 08:45 PM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
First choice if funds permit: 5164a and 5711r.
Second choice: 5164r if you want a bit of bling.
You could add the 5711r later.
Get the 64a now and the 11R later, make a great combo for all occasions.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 10:45 PM   #45
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the 64R is nice, but not for me, as its too brown with the strap and dial. I like the brown dial on the 11r with a RG bracelet.

Id pick the 64A vs the R based on the dial/strap colors alone, not even counting my preference for white metals.
The same concern as me, like the dial color on 64a more than 64r. I should go to somewhere to see the 5164r. It is different look on computer and with my own eyes.
Old 23 April 2018, 10:49 PM   #46
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Your picture really affect my decision, it is so stunning. But the problem is that I am lucky enough to on the top list of 5712a on my retailer and I just want to keep 2 watches. So this combo seems not for me.
Old 23 April 2018, 11:12 PM   #47
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your picture really affect my decision, it is so stunning. But the problem is that I am lucky enough to on the top list of 5712a on my retailer and I just want to keep 2 watches. So this combo seems not for me.
Now the 5712a is in play?
Old 24 April 2018, 12:29 AM   #48
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. I am really sorry forget to mention this in the previous post. I am lucky to get 5712a, and is looking for another one for a combo now.
Old 24 April 2018, 01:25 AM   #49
hualcantara
"TRF" Member

I would go with a 5164R. It's not too flashy and at has a second time zone complication which always comes in handy if you either travel a lot or want to be in touch with people in other time zones
hualcantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:53 AM   #50
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:

So compelling, nice shots there!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:55 AM   #51
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Then get the 5712 and 5711R. These three are my fave Sport PPs anyway so no bother.
Old 24 April 2018, 04:42 AM   #52
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then get the 5712 and 5711R. These three are my fave Sport PPs anyway so no bother.
Budget not enough for me.
Old 24 April 2018, 05:40 AM   #53
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Neither will cut it as daily for me. But if you have a daily rotation combining one of these watches with the 5712, then it could work. But you still need to be carful and even more so if you pick the 5711/1r.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:20 AM   #54
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
must be nice, eh? talk about first world problems..

and 23 years old to boot! took me that long to acquire enough wealth to get these type watches.. (not hating on him tho, very happy he's got family/his own money at that age)
HAL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 08:22 AM   #55
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
daily watch... 5164A

I've read that the whirling sound (when there is wrist movement) is quite pronounced on the 5164.

Have you noticed this? Does is bother you? Is it the same for other models on the Patek Aquanaut/Nautilus Range?

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 10:10 AM   #56
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
must be nice, eh? talk about first world problems..

and 23 years old to boot! took me that long to acquire enough wealth to get these type watches.. (not hating on him tho, very happy he's got family/his own money at that age)
Hi, I make these money myself. Not too much, but I do love watches. I can just afford 2 watches as my target since it is not easy for me to make money. If I have family support, I will definitely pick all these three.
Old 24 April 2018, 10:14 AM   #57
whatwhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
r
Sounds work. Now, my basic target is to 5164r and 5712a. I don't want 2 ss watch since my plan is just 2 watches. Now these 2 watches have different type straps, different color, different dial, different dial color and different movement. I think it is totally 2 different watches. The pity is that these 2 are both complication.
Old 24 April 2018, 10:59 AM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I've read that the whirling sound (when there is wrist movement) is quite pronounced on the 5164.

Have you noticed this? Does is bother you? Is it the same for other models on the Patek Aquanaut/Nautilus Range?
They are about the same on both, a mild mosquito noise you only hear in silence really, I've had some real rattlesnakes in my time by comparison, you can hear over the TV.
Old 24 April 2018, 11:27 AM   #59
Halothane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
For a daily, go 5164a !
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 11:51 AM   #60
patek2301
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds work. Now, my basic target is to 5164r and 5712a. I don't want 2 ss watch since my plan is just 2 watches. Now these 2 watches have different type straps, different color, different dial, different dial color and different movement. I think it is totally 2 different watches. The pity is that these 2 are both complication.

If you have a 5712, then go for the 5164r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk