The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2021, 05:29 PM   #1
Daniel2020
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Date wheel stuck on my Sub

I bought a Brand new Sub 116613LN 1 year ago. I hardly wear it . It’s not my everyday watch. But I wore it yesterday and it stopped working all of a sudden. I also noticed that the date wheel got stuck between 5 and 6. So I winded the watch and it worked again but I couldn’t set the date wheel. Nothing happened when i set the time or when I manually was trying to set the date . So I winded the watch approximately 30 times and went to bed . When I woke up today everything was good and the watch was like new again . I could set the date with no problem and the clock sound like it should when winding and listening to it. Have any of you had this problem with a new sub ? I have barely used the watch . And I tried to set the date several times yesterday even 2 hours after the first time but nothing happend. Should I do a warranty claim? What could have happened? I’m just worried that something is wrong and it may happen again. In my mind it doesn’t matter that it’s working now. I don’t think that’s this should happen to a 1 year old watch. Maybe some tiny part is broken and may damage the watch even more the longer I wait.
Daniel2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel2020 View Post
I bought a Brand new Sub 116613LN 1 year ago. I hardly wear it . It’s not my everyday watch. But I wore it yesterday and it stopped working all of a sudden. I also noticed that the date wheel got stuck between 5 and 6. So I winded the watch and it worked again but I couldn’t set the date wheel. Nothing happened when i set the time or when I manually was trying to set the date . So I winded the watch approximately 30 times and went to bed . When I woke up today everything was good and the watch was like new again . I could set the date with no problem and the clock sound like it should when winding and listening to it. Have any of you had this problem with a new sub ? I have barely used the watch . And I tried to set the date several times yesterday even 2 hours after the first time but nothing happend. Should I do a warranty claim? What could have happened? I’m just worried that something is wrong and it may happen again. In my mind it doesn’t matter that it’s working now. I don’t think that’s this should happen to a 1 year old watch. Maybe some tiny part is broken and may damage the watch even more the longer I wait.

Date wheel stuck! That’s Tudor GMT speciality :-)
Don’t seat it, send it to your AD for checkup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 November 2021, 05:38 PM   #3
rkny
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’d just wear it for a week and see what happens. A dormant watch can hang up, like a car that hasn’t been started in a while. It could be nothing. If it’s under warranty you have nothing to lose by just wearing it. It could just be the watch being a little upset with you for not wearing it, and sending you a small threat.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Daniel2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Personally, I’d just wear it for a week and see what happens. A dormant watch can hang up, like a car that hasn’t been started in a while. It could be nothing. If it’s under warranty yo\u have nothing to lose by just wearing it. It could just be the watch being a little upset with you for not wearing it, and sending you a small threat.
An upset watch 😂👍.
Old 28 November 2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Daniel2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. I am considering if I should send it in. But I don’t like to send in my watches. But this is a strange situation
Old 28 November 2021, 06:01 PM   #6
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An upset watch 😂👍.
If you’ve ever patted your car on the hood, you don’t get to laugh.
Old 28 November 2021, 06:06 PM   #7
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am considering if I should send it in. But I don’t like to send in my watches. But this is a strange situation
A watch getting momentarily hung up is not strange. If the situation repeats itself, then yes, you may have a situation.

Just this summer I wore my vintage Speedmaster on a vacation to the mountains, with a different climate and higher elevation. On the first day, overnight, it stopped. I was confused and scared that it needed an expensive service. But I wound it fully and continued to wear it.

It has kept perfect time ever since, like always.
Old 28 November 2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My 116610LV had a stuck date wheel when it came back from an appraisal at my AD. I don't think it had been wound and had exhausted its power reserve before laying still for a few days, possibly in excess of a week. The SA wound it fully, pulled it out to the hacked position and wound it backwards and forwards the long way, a few days. That freed it. He advised to use the watch for a few days and take it back for a closer look if the date wheel got lazy again. It has worked faultlessly since then.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 06:23 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

It happens, usually it is an issue with the jumper/spring.

A while ago I had to repair 2 subs with this exact problem in 1 week. But funnily enough it is not a common issue on the 3135 at all.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 08:04 PM   #10
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It happens, usually it is an issue with the jumper/spring.

A while ago I had to repair 2 subs with this exact problem in 1 week. But funnily enough it is not a common issue on the 3135 at all.
we are so lucky to have you on this forum
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 09:51 PM   #11
Daniel2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the reply . Really appreciate it. I understand that This might be a small problem when not wearing the watch much and it may have been stuck. But my real concern was when I couldn’t set the date manually. I tried several times and the wheel just didn’t want to move. That’s very strange. I will try it for one week now and see what happens.
Old 29 November 2021, 02:38 AM   #12
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
If you’ve ever patted your car on the hood, you don’t get to laugh.
Patted?,,lol
I have full blown conversations with ours especially in Winter,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:46 AM   #13
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

The watch should be fully wound, 40 - 50 times when you put on your watch. Then it should run fine
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 05:47 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
If it was sitting for a long time, oil or grit could cause the date wheel to hang up. A Rolex date wheel is actually slapped by a flat spring to move it to the next day. If it isn't used, it becomes dry in many different metal-to-metal interfaces.

Run the date wheel around the dial a few times, wind it fully, and put it back on. I can't see a reason to send it off unless it is consistently not working.
Old 29 November 2021, 06:01 AM   #15
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I assume you weren't adjusting the date in the no go zone (which I guess applies to Rolex as much as any other manufacturer)
Old 29 November 2021, 10:13 AM   #16
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
I assume you weren't adjusting the date in the no go zone (which I guess applies to Rolex as much as any other manufacturer)

WRONG. Rolex movements do not have the 'window' where it is inadvisable or potentially harmful to set the date.
You can set them at any time of day or night.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 10:16 AM   #17
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Follow up:

Rolex movements are better designed than many others.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 10:52 PM   #18
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
WRONG. Rolex movements do not have the 'window' where it is inadvisable or potentially harmful to set the date.
You can set them at any time of day or night.

Good to know.

I've only ever had no date Rex watches, so not something I've looked into before.
Old 29 November 2021, 10:53 PM   #19
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Follow up:

Rolex movements are better designed than many others.