The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2021, 01:52 PM   #1
noshame
"TRF" Member

When a watch is more than a watch

Dear TRF members, not sure where this will go.

I'm a big Anthony Bourdain fan. Was just re-watching a Parts Unknown West Virginia episode. A group of coal miners talking about their profession. One miner talked about how he wouldn't want his sons to follow in his footsteps, but if he did, he'd be proud, and that his Montgomery Ward Thermos would be passed onto his boy. The sentiment, along with Bourdain's narrative, and the poignant music in the background, made me shed a tear.

I'm not a coal miner, and don't have a thermos to pass to my two sons, but I do have a SubDate and a GMT that I bought to enjoy in my lifetime, and give to my boys to enjoy in theirs.

Earlier this year my 43 year old wife was diagnosed with non-curative cancer. It doesn't take much to make me cry anymore. Again, not sure where this thought would go. With all the threads about flipping, value, speculation, I thought it would be nice to go back to something simple like this ... sharing a story of my two greatest loves; my family and watches. Thank you for reading.
Old 12 December 2021, 02:09 PM   #2
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
I appreciate that you shared this very personal story. Watches are more than just things to flip to a lot of the members here. I’m sure your sons will appreciate to inherit and enjoy the watches when you decide to pass them down. They will remember you and your wife when they wear them.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:10 PM   #3
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. Crushing at any age, but even more so when so young. Stay positive though, doctors get things wrong all the time. Unfortunately these watches can't give us more time, but maybe they help us appreciate the time we have. I find that my daily interactions with a watch just make me ponder the passing time more in general. That's really great that you have two sons to pass yours on to someday, I'm sure they'll be priceless in their eyes.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 02:36 PM   #4
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I am sorry about the tough situation that you are facing. Brings things into perspective. Hope you and your family get the strength to fight this out. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:04 PM   #5
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
God bless you and your family, especially saying prayers for your wife. Miracles still happen, I believe in them and I hope one manifests itself for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:13 PM   #6
Recondope
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear about your wife's cancer diagnosis. Stay positive and surround her with love. I most sincerely wish you, your wife and sons the best.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:34 PM   #7
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Firstly my deepest sympathies to your family on this news. I found a common trend amongst horology enthusiast in the beginning of my journey in this hobby. The fascination of the passing of time. Time is something that we are all aware of and often think of as this “thing” an object of sorts. All the while it being a completely made up invention of humans to keep track of seasons. We all find out this thing called time is not infinite for us humans. We each have such a small amount of it compared to existence of time itself. Something along the range of 25,000 days if you live to mid 70’s. These watches are our own little time keepers. Always ticking away our days but at the same time being able to travel in the past and fetch memories made while having worn it. Weddings. Births. Or just a random trip to an ice cream shop with someone you love that made an impression in time that was that memory. It’s attached to that watch. Most people think we are crazy and don’t understand these attachments to objects. Especially not a watch. But for us they are our time machines. A constant reminder that our time is constantly moving forward. So spend those days with people you love the most doing the things that bring you the most joy. So that you can later on look at the watch you wore during that time and be brought back to those moments. Back in the early days of time keeping Latin phrases were written in sundials. Most all of them are quite profound to think about when one looks at the passing of time so I’ll finish this off with one of those. Utere non reditura. Use the hour, it will not come again.
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 03:40 PM   #8
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post

With all the threads about flipping, value, speculation, I thought it would be nice to go back to something simple like this ... sharing a story of my two greatest loves; my family and watches.
I keep them pristine,so that they may benefit .
We work for our kids .
Family is everything .
All the best in troubled times .

Thanks for sharing
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 04:42 PM   #9
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
Utere non reditura. Use the hour, it will not come again.
Words to live by. Thank you JMGoodnight369.

TRF is a great community. Even though I don't know any of you, I know there are many good members with big hearts. Thank you for your support.
Old 12 December 2021, 05:23 PM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sorry to hear about your wife. It must be very difficult.

A watch is more than just a watch when it develops emotional value through meaningful connections.

A great example is my father’s 1601 DJ that is worth much less than any of my modern Rolex and even a Tudor but is the one I value the most in the entire collection.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 05:51 PM   #11
chinguel
"TRF" Member

You and your family were in my prayers tonight and there you will remain until the miracle is achieved. If a hobby unites us, how much more; should unite us as empathic human beings much more all the support we can give you.
God Bless You’ll
Mike
chinguel is offline   Reply With Quote