The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2018, 09:15 AM   #1
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

CK2998 Blue & FOIS

Hey fellow omega enthusiasts.

I just got a 2016 CK2998. I've had the FOIS for the past couple of years, which does see some wrist time.

My question is, do you think these two are too similar to keep in a collection? I'm not sure if I should hold on to the FOIS, or is this redundant? Maybe get rid of it for another speedmaster variant? Or something else?

For reference, my collection is in my sig.

Many thanks for your future input.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Bushido
"TRF" Member

While the case size is the same between the models, aesthetically they're quite different. If you enjoy the case, I don't see them as overly redundant.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 03:31 AM   #3
robmillersdg
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with Bushido, keep them both. While similar horologically, the look is totally different.
robmillersdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 11:13 PM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I think I will keep them both. Surprisingly, they do wear very differently.
I also realized I couldn't really bear the thought of getting rid of my FOIS, when I was sitting down pondering trading it towards something else. There's always room for a classic looking speedy it seems.

Old 29 November 2018, 12:05 AM   #5
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I like them both and have had both. Definitely different enough to justify.

Am currently looking at a pulsometer...
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 12:40 AM   #6
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I like them both and have had both. Definitely different enough to justify.

Am currently looking at a pulsometer...
I looked at the pulsometer as well. Haven't seen one in person, but looks to be a winner from all the articles and videos I've seen on it.

I almost went for the pulsometer over ther 2016 variant, as it looked to be more legible and the pulsometer is a complication I don't have (plus the varnish red hand looks awesome). Ultimately, my love of blue and the lollipop hand tipped the scales towards the 2016 LE.

Old 29 November 2018, 04:10 AM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I looked at the pulsometer as well. Haven't seen one in person, but looks to be a winner from all the articles and videos I've seen on it.

I almost went for the pulsometer over ther 2016 variant, as it looked to be more legible and the pulsometer is a complication I don't have (plus the varnish red hand looks awesome). Ultimately, my love of blue and the lollipop hand tipped the scales towards the 2016 LE.
I loved the blue CK when I had it, and it remains one of my few regrets that I sold it. It’s a great watch and the details like the applied logo, hour markers, lumed ceramic bezel make it well worth the price IMO.

If I wasn’t so pig headed, I’d buy one back but I’ve never owned a watch twice. Im looking at the pulsometer, but I can’t help but think that the red makes it more sporty than I’d like along with the black and white being quite harsh. the silver/blue combo was quite dressy when needed.

I need to see one in person. Congrats on your pickup. It’s a tremendous watch.
Old 29 November 2018, 04:39 AM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I loved the blue CK when I had it, and it remains one of my few regrets that I sold it. It’s a great watch and the details like the applied logo, hour markers, lumed ceramic bezel make it well worth the price IMO.

If I wasn’t so pig headed, I’d buy one back but I’ve never owned a watch twice. Im looking at the pulsometer, but I can’t help but think that the red makes it more sporty than I’d like along with the black and white being quite harsh. the silver/blue combo was quite dressy when needed.

I need to see one in person. Congrats on your pickup. It’s a tremendous watch.
I agree, the pulsometer is definitely a more casual watch. If I were to have gotten it, my intention was to jump into the deep end and throw a crazy-colored strap and use it as my fun watch. I couldn't see using it as a dress piece, so maybe less versatile in that regard.

I do plan on throwing this blue CK on a bracelet, to further delineate it from the FOIS (plus I think it looks great on a bracelet).

Do keep me posted on your pulsometer decision, would love to hear your opinion if you get it.

Old 29 November 2018, 04:42 AM   #9
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, the pulsometer is definitely a more casual watch. If I were to have gotten it, my intention was to jump into the deep end and throw a crazy-colored strap and use it as my fun watch. I couldn't see using it as a dress piece, so maybe less versatile in that regard.

I do plan on throwing this blue CK on a bracelet, to further delineate it from the FOIS (plus I think it looks great on a bracelet).

Do keep me posted on your pulsometer decision, would love to hear your opinion if you get it.

Bracelet is definitely the way to go. I have a speedy racing bracelet which suits the watch well (and the FOIS), but some prefer the more vintage looking ones.

I will let you know what I decide to do (eventually!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 December 2018, 06:19 AM   #10
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Big CK fan here..

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
Big CK fan here..

Nice shot. I’m pretty sold on throwing this watch on a bracelet. Suits the watch very well.

What bracelet model# is that? How’s the fit?

Old 27 June 2019, 04:52 AM   #12
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey fellow omega enthusiasts.

I just got a 2016 CK2998. I've had the FOIS for the past couple of years, which does see some wrist time.

My question is, do you think these two are too similar to keep in a collection? I'm not sure if I should hold on to the FOIS, or is this redundant? Maybe get rid of it for another speedmaster variant? Or something else?

For reference, my collection is in my sig.

Many thanks for your future input.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
came across this thread bc I'm in a similar boat... I have the blue CK2998 and am a big fan, and now am really tempted to get the FOIS too after having seen it on a coworker's wrist. how do you like having both / compare the two?
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:39 AM   #13
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
came across this thread bc I'm in a similar boat... I have the blue CK2998 and am a big fan, and now am really tempted to get the FOIS too after having seen it on a coworker's wrist. how do you like having both / compare the two?
Just saw this post. I wear them both all the time, and I find they wear very differently (probably helps that I threw the CK2998 on a bracelet). But I find that they both have an active place in my collection. Also, the FOIS (Moonwatch in general) is probably the most versatile watch I've ever seen. Looks good on any strap/color you can imagine.

Old 21 July 2019, 02:06 AM   #14
mbalmz

Quote:
Just saw this post. I wear them both all the time, and I find they wear very differently (probably helps that I threw the CK2998 on a bracelet). But I find that they both have an active place in my collection. Also, the FOIS (Moonwatch in general) is probably the most versatile watch I've ever seen. Looks good on any strap/color you can imagine.

thanks for the reply—I actually pulled the trigger since my post so have both now too. totally agree on them wearing differently and both awesome watches I think.

I flipped a 1957 trilogy speedmaster for the fois—maybe heresy to say it but I dont think Im a hesalite guy (and couldn’t get used to the faux-patina indices).
___

Old 21 July 2019, 06:03 AM   #15
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
thanks for the reply—I actually pulled the trigger since my post so have both now too. totally agree on them wearing differently and both awesome watches I think.

I flipped a 1957 trilogy speedmaster for the fois—maybe heresy to say it but I dont think Im a hesalite guy (and couldn’t get used to the faux-patina indices).
I actually couldn't get into the trilogy speedmaster either. Honestly, the CK2998/FOIS series is my favorite, with the straight lugs and no crown guards.

Old 21 July 2019, 03:24 PM   #16
mbalmz

Quote:
I actually couldn't get into the trilogy speedmaster either. Honestly, the CK2998/FOIS series is my favorite, with the straight lugs and no crown guards.

yup totally agree.
___